Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bogdan Petrar
Romania
Timişoara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello there,

I just found a new group that I'm trying to get into board games.

It all started last Saturday when they called me to bring my "Monopoly" so we will play it. I sayd "DAMN... NOT THAT GAME!!". So I also bringed my game of Citadels. They instantly love the game. We only played twice but ... they are into the game

Are there any other similar games? There are 3 problems:

1. We usualy drink, so I'm not confortable brining games with lot of pieces
2. Sice we drink, I don't know how much they will like playing thinking games
3. We are usualy 6-7 players.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim Leenaerts
Belgium
Beerse
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With your criteria you almost instantly arrive at card games.
I'd suggest Citadels as the first one, but you've already discovered that pearl
BANG! should do the trick very nicely! A card game with not that much thinking but it's a lot of fun, especially if you've been drinking for a while I guess.
Saboteur is very much fun too and not heavy at all, and perhaps The Great Dalmuti but that's a little too light for my pleasure...

But if I had to name one I'd go for BANG!.

Edit: These are not partygames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Not exactly of the same kind, but Wings of War: Famous Aces is for for people and can be enlarged to many more (actual record is 81 at the same table) with expansions. Among those, Wings of War: Burning Drachens includes the Nieuport 17 of Plutonier Aviator Ioan Muntenescu, Escadrila Nieuport N. 11, Corpul Aerian Roman.

Wings of War: Recon Patrol Booster Pack includes Breguet BR.14 B2 of Locotenet observator Dumitru Bãdulescu and Plutonier Iliescu Teodor Leu, Escadrila F.4, Corpul Aerian Roman.

I played it on 70 x 70 cm pub tables with half liters of beer on it... Even if in 6/7 a slightly larger table is adviceable.

The WW2 version Wings of War: The Dawn of World War II is already for six players by itself. With Wings of War: Eagles of the Reich Squadron Pack it becomes for 9 and you get two Messerschmitt Bf 109 E-3, the ones of Adjutant stagiar aviator Tiberiu Vinca and of Sublocotenent aviator Ion DiCezare, Grupul 7 vanatoare, Aeronautica Regala Româna.

I can not say anything about the game being one of the authors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PETz wrote:

Thanks

6 Nimmt (also published as Category 5, Slide 5, Take 6)

Royal Turf (also published with variant rules as Winner's Circle)

None of these games require any deep thinking. Royal Turf actually takes 6; it won't work with all 7.

6 Nimmt can take as many as 10 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Frank
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Red Dragon Inn can be combined with The Red Dragon Inn 2 to accommodate up to 8 players. Not at all thinky, and drinking is integrated into the game--the players play drink cards and have to track their alcohol consumption on a player mat. No reason that those cards can't be combined with actual drinks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Killoran
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I often play games with a sinilar group, the only exception is that we've been doing this for years and years so they probably have more experience with both gaming and drinking. Games popular with this group include:

Citadelles
Fist of Dragonstones (a natural sequel for your group.)
Frank's Zoo
Condottierre
Incan Gold
Uno Attack!
Bang!
Nuclear War
Atlantic Storm
Liar's Dice
Loot

There are some more involved games that are also popular, including Mystery of the Abbey, Gunslinger, and Swashbuckler...but I would wait to introduce your group to games like this until they fully buy into the drunken gaming experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
.308 Jake
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jungle Speed
Saboteur

And if you want an actual drinking game...

Start Player: A Kinda Collectible Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've always found Apples to Apples to be a hoot for larger groups where drinking is taking place. And it's just cards, so no messy clean-up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The games I've played in larger groups with some players who have been drinking are:

Bang!
Apples to Apples
Wits and Wagers
Kill Doctor Lucky
Any of or combination of the ZMan B-Movie games
Loot
Some form of Munchkin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb

I've always found dexterity games to be a welcome suggestion with a drinking crowd. Almost no thinking involved, and no real strategy so people can chat away about other things while playing. Plus, there's a built-in penalty for the lightweights who can't hold their liquor well.

Some of my favorites are:
PitchCar
Gulo Gulo
Bausack
Tumblin-Dice
Sorry! Sliders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WAN CHIU
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Diamant

Lots of mindless fun for big crowd. Slim component as well.

Also
Sharp Shooters

Ditto with lots of dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
PETz wrote:
Hello there,

I just found a new group that I'm trying to get into board games.

It all started last Saturday when they called me to bring my "Monopoly" so we will play it. I sayd "DAMN... NOT THAT GAME!!". So I also bringed my game of Citadels. They instantly love the game. We only played twice but ... they are into the game

Thanks

I already see sveeral good ideas here, particularly BANG! and DIAMANT. But I'm surprised no one has mentioned the awesome Ca$h 'n Gun$, which handles 6 players, and the Ca$h 'n Gun$: Yakuzas expansion which takes it up to 9.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsuro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfrank wrote:
The Red Dragon Inn can be combined with The Red Dragon Inn 2 to accommodate up to 8 players. Not at all thinky, and drinking is integrated into the game--the players play drink cards and have to track their alcohol consumption on a player mat. No reason that those cards can't be combined with actual drinks...

Very easily done. You just take a drink for every point of alcohol your character consumes. You get a couple firebreath ales down you and you'll start feeling it just like the characters.

Or you could get all fancy and do shots of beer for the 1 point light/dark ales, wine for the 3 point wines, and vodka for the 4 point beasts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romian Tuesta-Vilca
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wings of War is an amazing game. I reaaly like it. It is easy to teach, plays fast, is exciting and innovative.

I would also recommend Diplomacy. You need to think a bit, but it is a lot of fun, especially when drinking. Drunk backstabbing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc VC
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say

Liar's Dice
Three-Dragon Ante
Shadow Hunters
The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen

or if you don't mind the length Long Live the King

Anyway do have fun, and keep enlightening those who think Monopoly is "fun". arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
All Hail The Great Dalmuti!

We play this as a drinking game. If you pass, you drink. Because of this I can play this game completely drunk. And it allows for ranks, so you get even sillier. Our Dalmuti's choose objects from the room to show their power. It gets more and more sillier as there's more drinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
And well, King Me! Is probably another good one that goes up to 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quelf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Everingham
United States
Sheridan
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Goldbräu...
it does require some thinking and has 3 to 4 things that you are working on keeping control of but beyond the thinking required and a few wooden blocks,.. it comes with coasters!

oops, sorry about that, it's a 4 player game so it may not work for you, my copy came with 6 coasters so I was thinking it was made for more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm not much of a drinker, but do get together with friends for drinking and merriment on New Year's Eve.

Far and away the most fun we've ever had playing a game on New Year's Eve: Snorta!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Paul
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
man lying down on job voluntarily
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the following already mentioned games:

BANG! - could be played as a drinking game: whenever someone plays a "BANG!" card on you, you have to take a drink!

The Great Dalmuti - great fun as a drinking game: the seat order is determined by who won the previous hand, and whoever is higher up in seat order can tell the lower seat order people what to do! ("Get me a new drink, Peon!" "I don't think you're drinking enough, finish that beer now!")

Ca$h 'n Gun$ with Ca$h 'n Gun$: Yakuzas - easy game, but a blast to play!

Apples to Apples - may be the easiest game on earth, but still a lot of fun! (Especially near the end of the evening when people are too drunk to play anything else...)

I also recommend:

RoboRally - the drunker you get, the harder it gets! Pretty easy game to learn, but after a few drinks you find your robot doesn't seem to be doing what you wanted it to do...

Bohnanza - fun game, a bit more light-hearted and less cutthroat than Citadels. Lots of player interaction, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:

Sounds like a digusting game.

Wait... I think I misread that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
.308 Jake
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha...that's gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend Illuminati: Deluxe Edition

We've had countless hours of (slightly drunken) fun with that one.

I think it plays up to 8, and it's been republished so you should be able to get hold of it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.