United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greeting All,

TRAINS -- is there a more ubiquitous theme in board gaming? It would seem that everyone wants to publish a train game:

Rio Grande...Chicago Express, On the Underground, Union Pacific
Warfrog...Steel Driver
Fred Distribution...Railroad Tycoon, Age of Steam, Brass
Mayfair...Steam, Empire Builder, Eurorails, 18xx, Silverton
Days of Wonder...Ticket to Ride

But, there are two major publishers conspicuously absent from the list -- Fantasy Flight Games and Z-Man Games. FFG will be filling their train void in 2010, having secured the print rights to Winsome Games' Wa-Ameritrash-Bash Cannonball.
This highly anticipated title will break the train mold -- literally -- as players score points by putting copies of Descent: Journeys in the Dark and Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) on railroad tracks and then running them over with locomotives. Folks pre-ordering the game will receive a promotional plastic figure of BGG Legend Michael Barnes!

However, Z-Man Games will not be publishing a train game in the foreseeable future. Earlier this week, I attempted to contact Zev "Z-Man" Shlasinger about this noticeable hole in his arsenal of great games, but he was unavailable for comment. Instead, his lawyers released the following statement:

The Z-Man does not kowtow at the altar of hip and trendy gaming fashions and, thus, will not be publishing a train game in 2010. That said, The Z-Man does understand that his adoring public are entitled to something special from time to time which is why The Z-Man has graciously agreed to make the following limited edition item available at Essen this year:

Poll: Totally Renamed Game Poll
Which "Totally Renamed" game would you rather own?
Zev Shlasinger's Totally Renamed Farm Game
Martin Wallace's Totally Renamed Train Game
      83 answers
Poll created by rsolow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to spoil your fun, but Z-Man distributed 1861 for JKLM, which is exactly what RGG did with Chicago Express/Queen games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rsolow wrote:
However, Z-Man Games will not be publishing a train game in the foreseeable future.

Cleopatra's Caboose
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joshp wrote:
rsolow wrote:
However, Z-Man Games will not be publishing a train game in the foreseeable future.

Cleopatra's Caboose

Sadly for Mr. Solow, the reality (in the form of Cleopatra's Caboose) is already far funnier than anything we could make up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CLS Games -- Atlanta's Board Game Warehouse
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joshp wrote:
rsolow wrote:

Cleopatra's Caboose

We just got off the phone with Zev, and according to The Z-Man himself, Cleopatra's Caboose is being re-themed. The title will remain the same, but the game will now focus on an Egyptian monarch's tushy devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
joshp wrote:
rsolow wrote:

Cleopatra's Caboose

Sadly for Mr. Solow, the reality (in the form of Cleopatra's Caboose) is already far funnier than anything we could make up.

Sadly for all of us, the repetition of an un-funny personal attack poised as a joke is already far more atrocious than anything we could make up.

Perhaps I'll go start a thread about how Age of Steam beats Steam on every level. That'll be original.

At least we now can form some semblance of an idea of rsolow's "enemies list."

Ugh, this is too personal-attacky for myself. I'm out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blueatheart wrote:
Gyges wrote:
joshp wrote:
rsolow wrote:

Cleopatra's Caboose

Sadly for all of us, the repetition of an un-funny personal attack poised as a joke is already far more atrocious than anything we could make up.

Perhaps I'll go start a thread about how Age of Steam beats Steam on every level. That'll be original.

Uh. What? How is what I said a personal attack? I think you're reading something into my post that doesn't belong there. I haven't said anything about the train-game clusternonsense, here or anywhere else.
Finally, if having had an amicable trade with someone on the 'geek constitutes being on their "enemies list", then clearly I have a lot of enemies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
blueatheart wrote:
Gyges wrote:
joshp wrote:
rsolow wrote:

Cleopatra's Caboose

Uh. What? How is what I said a personal attack? I think you're reading something into my post that doesn't belong there. I haven't said anything about the train-game clusternonsense, here or anywhere else.
Finally, if having had an amicable trade with someone on the 'geek constitutes being on their "enemies list", then clearly I have a lot of enemies.

Not you! Sorry for any ambiguity!

I found your sentence clever and repeatable in further ways. Apologies for the copying, and the confusion.

Quote:

should read:

Ugh, I'm being too personal-attacky for my liking. I'm out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, cool. Thanks very much for the clarification, it's much appreciated. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blueatheart wrote:

Hello Blueatheart,

Thank you for contributing to a lively discussion, but I am honestly confused. As far as I know, nobody is attacking me and I am not on anyone's enemies list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
rsolow wrote:
blueatheart wrote:

Hello Blueatheart,

Thank you for contributing to a lively discussion, but I am honestly confused. As far as I know, nobody is attacking me and I am not on anyone's enemies list.

That polite tone fools no one, mister 'rsolow'. You're just posting this provocative reply to keep us off-topic, and you know it!

I want to be on the 'rsolow enemies list', too! Please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimb wrote:
rsolow wrote:

That polite tone fools no one, mister 'rsolow'. You're just posting this provocative reply to keep us off-topic, and you know it!

I want to be on the 'rsolow enemies list', too! Please?

*SIGH* ...fine...I will put you on the list later this afternoon. Is somewhere between John Bohrer and my mother-in-law acceptable? If not, I also have an opening along side of BGG Legend Michael Barnes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Wood
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get that putting this joke in the news forum was part of the joke but honestly I think the news forums should be uncluttered by anything other than official press releases and actual news reports. As this is your second in a possibly long series of these (Knizia is next, right?) I hope you'll put all your future photoshop-based stories in the General forum.

P.S. I've liked both alternate box covers you've done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
rsolow wrote:
*SIGH* ...fine...I will put you on the list later this afternoon. Is somewhere between John Bohrer and my mother-in-law acceptable? If not, I also have an opening along side of BGG Legend Michael Barnes.

I'm truly honored that you would offer me a slot beside Michael Barnes: I'd jump at the chance, but I just haven't earned it. So .. over there towards your mother-in-law would be fine .. just a little further .. thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Ah, Denny, I've hardly seen you this episode."
mbmbmbmbmb
rsolow wrote:
joshp wrote:
rsolow wrote:

Cleopatra's Caboose

We just got off the phone with Zev, and according to The Z-Man himself, Cleopatra's Caboose is being re-themed. The title will remain the same, but the game will now focus on an Egyptian monarch's tushy devil

Oh boy...I'm not sure I wanna know what players are picking up and delivering in the re-theme {begins shuffling through Caboose contract, trying to find a loophole}.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Wood
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zambo wrote:
Oh boy...I'm not sure I wanna know what players are picking up and delivering in the re-theme {begins shuffling through Caboose contract, trying to find a loophole}.

some kind of hole, anyways.... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roliander wrote:
Knizia is next, right?

Actually, we have bigger fish to fry. Our next BGG posting will be a Geeklist entitled:

Moles, Scars, and Non-Cancerous Lesions: The Dermal Irregularities of BGG Legend Michael Barnes and the Games of Which They Remind You.

I will post a link to it here once the list is completed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rsolow wrote:
the Games of Which They You.

I will post a link to it here once the list is completed.

I am sure you will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
This site needs a forum where we can put the faux offended so we can ignore them.
mbmbmbmbmb
Roliander wrote:
Zambo wrote:

some kind of hole, anyways.... whistle

Ta DAAAAA. Thank you very much Ladies and Gents, Rolands here all week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zambo wrote:
rsolow wrote:
joshp wrote:
rsolow wrote:

Cleopatra's Caboose

So what is the latest word on Caboose, Coach? WBC? GenCon? Essen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Weeks
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Steam is the greatest game ever created.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Bohrer wrote:
Zambo wrote:
rsolow wrote:
joshp wrote:
rsolow wrote:

Cleopatra's Caboose

The rulebook is being finalized as I type, John. All the art is in place; I think once the rules are finished, Zev will start pricing out components.

Definitely not WBC or GenCon. Essen would be nice...though it's approaching fast. My optimistic estimate is 2009.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
John, given your history with this game and the designer - it's beyond unprofessional for you to interject yourself into the Steam forum so often to insult players, designers, the game, Martin, etc. You have a truly bizarre sense of ethics - none is evident at all.

It's true that there's little activity in the Age of Steam forum these days - so, go design your next game or something.

Your intent here is malign, and manifestly disruptive; please, would you just go away?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zambo wrote:
John Bohrer wrote:
Zambo wrote:
rsolow wrote:
joshp wrote:
rsolow wrote:

Cleopatra's Caboose

The rulebook is being finalized as I type, John. All the art is in place; I think once the rules are finished, Zev will start pricing out components.

Definitely not WBC or GenCon. Essen would be nice...though it's approaching fast. My optimistic estimate is 2009.

Essen would be great, Coach, one of the Winsome Germans is really hot on Cleopatra's Caboose. Maybe the Z-Man can at least air-ship some over!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimb wrote:
John, given your history with this game and the designer - it's beyond unprofessional for you to interject yourself into the Steam forum so often to insult players, designers, the game, Martin, etc. You have a truly bizarre sense of ethics - none is evident at all.

It's true that there's little activity in the Age of Steam forum these days - so, go design your next game or something.

Your intent here is malign, and manifestly disruptive; please, would you just go away?

Jim - I'm not exactly sure how he's done any of the above in this thread, or how his intent here is malign? He had a question regarding a topic that was introduced in the thread; there was no disruptiveness at all.

It would behoove everyone here on the 'Geek to try not to be inflammatory or negative, because ultimately, what's the point? And before anyone says anything about my previous rhetorical question, let me be the first to say that I, too, have been guilty in the past on both counts. I've learned what it can do - unfortunately, at the expense of others' feelings.

As Jules states in Pulp Fiction: "I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd."

To paraphrase Shakespeare: "The game's the thing." Let's keep it that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.