Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Scoring east of surveyors: Are you allowed to score behind a surveyor if you just place your settler down and remove it same time?

EXAMPLE:

Surveyors are already headed west, but you are able to complete an unfinished city that would be able to get a lot of points. The city is EAST of surveyors. You place ONE tile which completes city, then place a settler on that city part of the tile, add up your SCORE, remove settler back to your pile. Lastly, move Surveyor west. IS this allowed? OR could this be a houserule?

2. Scoring for 'other' player:

Can one person score for another by playing a tile?

EXAMPLE:

Jim places a tile that Jim needs to complete a city he is on to score, BUT it also completes a road that Bob is on. Jim moves the Surveyor west. (Surveyors are STILL East of city/road being completed) Would Bob score at this time? OR would Bob have to wait until it is his turn to add the score up for himself?

There is a 'similar' example on page B2 of the rules where it shows the RED piece being removed due to the Surveyor moving WEST.But doesn't explain what would happen if Surveyor didn't "pass" the red piece. WHY doesn't RED score now? Hence my question above...

Thanks!

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moffett
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
#1: Yes, you can do that. Remember though, if you don't place and score in the same phase, the next time anyone scores anything ALL settlers east of the surveyors are removed, every time. It can be a gamble to claim something east of a surveyor but it can also pay off big time. Keep in mind, you don't have to finish something east of the surveyors when you place a settler, he/she/it will remain there until any player scores something.

Technically anything could be a house rule, I play New World pretty straight from the rules and we do allow this at my table.

#2: Oh yes indeed, I do this all the time. Say Suzy is trying to build a gargantuan road and the surveyors are closing in on her position, it is to your advantage to end that road BEFORE those surveyors are in the same column as her settler. Note, if you place something that cause multiple people to score, YOU choose the order things are scored. In this way, you can make it so your settlers score and the other player's settlers are knocked off, because each time you score something a surveyor moves west.

For example, imagine that you and Frank both have settlers in column B. 'S' represents the positioning of the surveyors, so, one settler is west of B and the other is on B.

---S-----
A B C
S--------

You play a tile that makes both Frank and yourself score a settler in column B, you decide to score yours first for say... oh, fourteen points. Since you then move the top (eastern most) surveyor west, Frank's settler is now isolated and removed from the board without scoring.

S--------
A B C
S--------

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks David!

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I just realized... I am not sure if my one part of question #2 was answered...

Would "Bob" have to wait until it is BOB'S turn to score for his piece if Jim took his score FIRST? PROVIDING that the Surveyors are still to the EAST of Bob and Jim. I understand the "falling behind" and being isolated part now.

Thanks!

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moffett
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohh, sorry bout' that.

Scoring takes place as soon as a feature is completed, so yes, Bob would score on Jim's turn as well. So, it's to the Jim's advantage to knock him off the board by scoring first if possible. If Bob isn't knocked off by being isolated then yes, he would get his points that same turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK thanks! We were playing it as... Jim scores, and then, Bob would have to wait until it is Bobs turn to get his score.

Thanks!

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.