Thanks to a recent session report,
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/421615

I realized that I have been playing (and loving) Scripts and Scribes all wrong

We've been doing for each ROUND:
active player distributes cards
non-active players take a card from the common pile
auction off the card just distributed to the auction pile
if everyone passes-then the auction card is discarded

This actually makes an interesting series of ongoing decisions about what to save versus what to bid and makes acquiring gold during the game more valuable (as you never have enough). Also, you have to make constant decisions about what to collect and keep track of who is acquiring what resources/workers.

"I'm not playing wrong, I'm just creating a better version", yeah that's the ticket. Seriously, anyone else ever play S&S and more important enjoy it this way? Or am I just hopelessly deviant? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
davido wrote:
if everyone passes, then the auction card gets discarded face down (only the active player knows what it was).
But how can players know whether or not they want to pass unless they know what the auction card is?

I'm not really tempted by this variant. I like first getting a hand together to plan a strategy, then trying to execute that during the auction phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
davido wrote:
if everyone passes, then the auction card gets discarded face down (only the active player knows what it was).
But how can players know whether or not they want to pass unless they know what the auction card is?

I'm not really tempted by this variant. I like first getting a hand together to plan a strategy, then trying to execute that during the auction phase.

whoopsie-so much for typing before the coffee kicks in
the auction card IS turned face up for auction. If everyone passes, then it is discarded. Original post edited to reflect that.

And yeah, if you learned to play CORRECTLY, this 'variant' probably doesn't hold much appeal. I'll have to try it the 'real way' now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.