Subject: Learning the rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Makis Andreou
Cyprus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings.

I've recently purchased B&B and I have been struggling with the rules ever since.

I appreciate that this is considered to be an easy game but as it is my first real wargame I am finding it a bit difficult to follow the system.
Moreover, the manual provides very few actual gameplay examples and there is no such thing as a teaching scenario in the booklet.

I was wondering if any one who is playing the game on VASSAL could upload a finished VASSAL game which I could follow (Vassal allows you to re-view an entire saved game) in order to see how it plays.

Alternatively, I will appreciate it you could direct me to any other resources (mainly gameplay examples) that could be of help.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Atack
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't get any replies here, try CSW also as there is a folder there for the game that gets lots of traffic.

www.consimworld.com

Is there a specific rule that is giving you issues?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?50@978.hjHCedFoKBr.3@.1dd2b...

For EG & B&B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makis Andreou
Cyprus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pete Atack wrote:

Is there a specific rule that is giving you issues?

Thanks for the help.

It is not a specific rule as such. (I am -ofcourse- unfamiliar with some of the military terms but I am googling them as I read)

My problem is putting it all together! i.e. see how a real game plays -as I am unlikely to find anyone to play the game with and I will have to figure it out on my own.

As I am a newbie it will be a lot faster if there was a sample game or an example I could follow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cheadle
United States
Flushing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My problem is putting it all together! i.e. see how a real game plays -as I am unlikely to find anyone to play the game with and I will have to figure it out on my own.

Im right there with ya on this one. I just havent gotten around to asking the same question.

I hope to run in to a war gamer soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Atack
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well - if either of you have questions I'd say ask away on this forum as there are lots of us that follow this system here on BGG.

I'm not a VASSAL guy otherwise I'd try and help.

Is it just how the base mechanics of the game work? Do you understand the values on the counters and how they are used / applied? Or do you understand the rules, but just are not sure "what to do next" when it comes to actually playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cheadle
United States
Flushing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My big problem is I just need to see a game in action.

It seems like there is a lot going on but if were to see it Im pretty sure I could grasp it.

Ive had this game for a few months now and would really like a go at it but no one in my group plays war games.

One day I know I will really enjoy this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makis Andreou
Cyprus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Michael.

The rules are not the problem as such (maybe using the word "struggling" above was unfortunate).

The problem is getting to see the game in action when you have no one to play it with.
This helps you put together a lot of the concepts/rules of the game.

Moreover, I believe that a few beginner scenarios should have been provided (using very few platoons and simple terrain) with this game.

The Consimworld link provided above however is quite helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Atack
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK - I understand what you are talking about now.

I've posted over on CSW to see if any of the guys there who are VASSAL "proficient" can volunteer some time and effort to help out. Hopefully someone has a file they can share or will link up for a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makis Andreou
Cyprus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pete Atack wrote:

I've posted over on CSW to see if any of the guys there who are VASSAL "proficient" can volunteer some time and effor to help out. Hopefully someone has a file they can share or will like up for a game.

Thank you very much for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Makis - having heard pleas like yours from many different people, especially people who are new to wargaming and would like to start with Blood and Bridges, I've started writing a "Learning the World at War System - Basic Training" walkthrough for people who have never played wargames before.

It's actually probably a little beneath your level, but I figure if I write it for a complete newcomer to wargames, people can take from it what they need.

It's only just begun (there's a lot to cover when you're assuming zero knowledge of wargaming) but I think it will be useful as it progresses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makis Andreou
Cyprus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kozure wrote:
I've started writing a "Learning the World at War System - Basic Training" walkthrough for people who have never played wargames before.

Dear Christopher,

That was a EXCELLENT idea!
I was reading your guide last night and I was amazed on how clear and newbie-friendly it was.

I wish I had something like that a few months ago when I started with war games.

I think this is the best way to introduce more players to the hobby as the big rulebooks and the various terms have been scaring gamers away!

Thank you very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.