Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
Some time ago I invested in what appeared to be a very nice bone xiangqi set. When it arrived I was very disappointed. The pieces which are the 5 pawns on each side were opposite. The pawns have different characters for each side, black pawns usually have one character and white pawns usually have a different character. In the set I bought, the standard characters for the pawns of each side were reversed.

Does this matter? Does anybody know? Is it common in the Orient for the pawn's characters to be switched, even though books about the game always show them the same way? I asked the seller, who didn't speak much English, and his reply was "a pawn is a pawn." I think I got bamboozled on a set that was made wrong. I've never seen another Xiangqi set that had the pawn characters reversed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

When I first played this game (about twenty odd years ago), I had the same trouble.
It is quite common to have different symbols on each piece, but I use the ones that have the pictures resembling elephant cannon ,chariots etc because those who want to learn the game find it easier to identify them. I stuck with those symbols for that reason.
The Korean symbols are somewhat different and they sometimes include round stickers for Western players, but I find that these stickers confuses new players as they tend to use the pieces as they would do with chess ones. The cannon is the one that really makes newbies stuck. The Palacae Guardians can be such a nuisance at times because they get their Emperor stuck laugh
I do really enjoy this game and Shogi, but my Chess sets (conventional and electronic) are aways at hand. The electonic travel set goes with me everywhere.
If I were you, I would stick with one side of symbols.
Nice to hear that there is another XiangQi player around. Try and join a club on the internet

Best Regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hemsley
Italy
Desio
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your set is totally screwed. Please geekmail me so I can send you my address to ship your hopelessly broken game. laugh

--James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Liss
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is odd that the pawns are reversed - I have to admit that I've never seen this before. It could have been a manufacturing error - but many might not even bat an eye at the mistake. Did the seller give you any other information as to the sets origin? i.e. time or place it was maufactured?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Towards gameplay, I'd say it's fine. For collection or those who notice these things, it ain't. Choose accordingly.

I'm also used to the set on the left. Somewhat different characters for each piece on both sides (pawn, cannon, general, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
Samort7 wrote:
It is odd that the pawns are reversed - I have to admit that I've never seen this before. It could have been a manufacturing error - but many might not even bat an eye at the mistake. Did the seller give you any other information as to the sets origin? i.e. time or place it was maufactured?

He didn't have much to say that I could understand, but I think he knew I was unhappy with the sale and calmly shut down to avoid the possibility I might want to return it. Other pictures I've seen of the same set have the correct pawns, so I really think he was pushing faulty sets on ebay. It was a long time ago, so I'll never get it corrected. I didn't realize the pawns were reversed until months after the set was shipped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How quaint!
First time I've seen such a thing. It's definitely a production error.
Actually, I wouldn't mind owning such a set because of the novelty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Well, I have two of them ! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Li Ming
China
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
actually they are the same^_^

usually the red(color) player's soldier called “兵” and the black player's solider called “卒”

but all of them are solider,the way to use them is same,so it's only a character to difference your solider and your opponent's solider

don't mind^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iceim wrote:

usually the red(color) player's soldier called “兵” and the black player's solider called “卒”

but all of them are solider,the way to use them is same,so it's only a character to difference your solider and your opponent's solider

don't mind^_^

Thank you for your reply. That does make me feel better about my set.

I remember years ago I was waiting for my order at a Chinese restaurant, and a bunch of Asian guys were playing Xiang Qi. A mild argument broke out, and it was hard to be certain but I thought the argument was about the set they were using, and why the pawns were backwards. One of them wanted to play with a different set and the other thought that set was fine. That was long before boardgamegeek and I had only played Chinese Chess on the Atari ST.

So, I'll take it that a pawn is a pawn, and which soldier character is on which side doesn't really matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
litiancong lkk
China
xia men
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
tmredden wrote:
iceim wrote:

don't mind^_^

I remember years ago I was waiting for my order at a Chinese restaurant, and a bunch of Asian guys were playing Xiang Qi. A mild argument broke out, and it was hard to be certain but I thought the argument was about the set they were using, and why the pawns were backwards. One of them wanted to play with a different set and the other thought that set was fine. That was long before boardgamegeek and I had only played Chinese Chess on the Atari ST.

So, I'll take it that a pawn is a pawn, and which soldier character is on which side doesn't really matter.

One side is "兵", the other is "卒" is correct, there is one, "将", the other is "帅."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
litiancong lkk
China
xia men
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
ltcltc wrote:
tmredden wrote:
iceim wrote:

don't mind^_^

One side is "兵", the other is "卒" is correct, there is one, "将", the other is "帅."

I do not know if you buy a picture on the left, or right, you can see the right image 182 374

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Donnelly
Canada
Comox Valley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
A bit late to be chiming in, but historically the two characters for pawns have not always been assigned as they usually are now. There's some information on this at http://www.skookumpete.com/chess_note.htm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SkookumPete wrote:
A bit late to be chiming in, but historically the two characters for pawns have not always been assigned as they usually are now. There's some information on this at http://www.skookumpete.com/chess_note.htm.

Thanks. The picture at that link definitely shows my bone set, with the elephant piece at the bottom. That makes me feel much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul McKinney
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm even later to reply. While in Vietnam I bought a set (see below) that also seems to have the soldier symbols switched from what shows up in books. When playing with some folks from Singapore with it they didn't seem to care or notice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.