Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doobermite
United States
Chester County
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Long Shot plays just fine with 2 players. I'm not sure of the 3 player minimum on the box. If anything, the game is even faster. I'm very impressed and pleased with this fun horse racing game and glad it plays well with 2.

We'll be playing it even more now! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbmite wrote:
Long Shot plays just fine with 2 players. I'm not sure of the 3 player minimum on the box. If anything, the game is even faster. I'm very impressed and pleased with this fun horse racing game and glad it plays well with 2.

We'll be playing it even more now! laugh

I'm hoping to play with 2 quite often. Did the players buy alot of horses? Seems like with 2 that might be the only issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Simas
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game was with two, I believe 7 of the 10 horses were purchased. Though, looking back, I think I would have bought 1 less now that I've played more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doobermite
United States
Chester County
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm hoping to play with 2 quite often. Did the players buy alot of horses? Seems like with 2 that might be the only issue.

One player bought a lot of horses. In the end the player who bought a lot of horses had to return some of them and lose the bets on them since only 3 horses can win the race. However, the player who bought more horses still ended up winning.

It was fun and competitive and I saw no problem with the 2 player game. Maybe there is a reason why it's a 3 player minimum but we had a blast with just 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Unck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
My wife and I have played this game together, just the two of us, and we have noticed that whoever owns the horse that takes first place always wins. Our favorite playthrough has been with 5 players, but we still have enough fun with it to play with two of us. I guess it is just a race to see whoever ends up buying the first place horse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Linton
United States
Friday Harbor
Washington
flag msg tools
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
badge
Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree that this is a fun game with only two players. Some of the horses never get past the first turn and the group energy is missing, but it is still exciting to try and get your horse/s across the line. I love this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Aaaaaaaaah ! Great news I was wondering if this game could be fun with just 2 players. Happy to hear that it is.

OK, maybe it is more fun with more players but at least it can actually be played by just 2 plaers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:

Aaaaaaaaah ! Great news I was wondering if this game could be fun with just 2 players. Happy to hear that it is.

OK, maybe it is more fun with more players but at least it can actually be played by just 2 plaers.

I hope to add to the endorsements. It is scheduled to arrive here tomorrow and the wife agreed to play so I'll have my impressions likely on Sunday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, plays great with 2!

Wife and I played 3 games last night and had a great time. First game she only bought one horse to my 3 and won the game by owning the winning horse and betting heavy on said horse. The 3rd game she amassed $450, which I though was a pretty damn good showing. She had all 3 horses that placed and some bets as well. I was in it right until the end with 3 horses in the no-bet zone but she had all 3 of hers come though in the end.

Our second game ended in a tie....I could not find any tie breakers in the rules so we went with the highest finishing horse so I won based on that. I should pose that question in the rules forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thomas
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter and I played several two-player games and it was just as good. It plays much faster and doesn't really compromise on strategy. We usually buy most of the horses, either 8 or 9, for a few reasons. One, there are several cards that provide a nice payout for owning several horses as well as a specific horse. Second, it's often difficult to tell which horses will stall and which will come back during a race. Third, it's fun to own a large stable of horses. This game is great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
filip de maesschalck
Belgium
lokeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just got a copy brought home to me from Essen and wondered if i could play it with two. Now I'm convinced and will try it out. TNX for the feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
filip de maesschalck
Belgium
lokeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OKay, perfectly playable with two! Was it fun? Of course although i took a real beating....
What i enjoyed the most was seeing that it's not always the same horses that come in first and it's surely not always the horse that is ahead most of the time!!! I really believe that this game can rival TTR in terms of playability, family-friendliness and introductory game to 'more complex' games...
Oh yes, i'm hooked... back to the tracks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have also played with 2. The game plays pretty differently -- we're only stealing cards from one-another, moving each others' horses backwards, etc.

I wouldn't say it's the best way to play, having played a six-player game and really enjoying the energy and action of the game, but it's definitely fun in its own right playing with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Neeff
United States
Rock Springs
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Has anyone found a way to make it a little more balanced with just 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenRock wrote:

Balanced in what way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dueck
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rastak wrote:
GreenRock wrote:

Balanced in what way?

I don't want to speak for GreenRock but perhaps "balance" means similar ratio of horses available as in a 3 player game. To account for this I was thinking that:

i] 3 horses could randomly be removed to leave 7 available to buy

OR

ii] Roll the MOVE die twice and remove the sum total number of horses

OR

iii] Give a dummy player (3rd seat) $25 (or more) and they buy the best positioned unbought horse

I haven't tried any of these but if I do I'll post my thoughts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.