Popular Tags: [View All]
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a few games, and I really enjoy it, and I think that playing a series of races is very possible. Since this is a quick game, I can see a group of my friends playing a game at the begining of each game night and keeping a running score. I have friends who will be at my next game night who actually write the score of every game they play on the inside of their game boxes. Their Settlers game box is getting very crowded.

For this game, I had a unique situation that the rules don't answer. My wife was clearly going to win, and my sister and I were way behind. In the turn my wife crossed the finish line, I decided to secure second place by balancing my sled with two 5's and a 1 on the brake. At the time I was in third place so my speed was twelve. At the end of my movement I ended up in second place, but I also crossed a 4 speed limit line and took 8 dent cards.

The rules say that when you collect your 5th dent card, your sled turns into a pile of firewood (or something clever like that), and obviously with 5 or more dent cards, you can't move. But since my pile of firewood was in second place, does that mean I got second, or am I disqualified.

I guess the other option is for the remaining people to play out the rest of the game to determine turn order in which case I would come in last, but that would really lengthen the game.

Any answers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But since my pile of firewood was in second place, does that mean I got second, or am I disqualified.

As soon as you receive your 5th dent you remove your sled from the board and you are out of the race.

Quote:
I guess the other option is for the remaining people to play out the rest of the game to determine turn order in which case I would come in last, but that would really lengthen the game.

In a round where one or more players cross the finish line the game comes to an end when the round is complete. Those who cross the finish are the only players eligible for ranking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
As soon as you receive your 5th dent you remove your sled from the board and you are out of the race.

The rules state:

If a player is ever required to draw a 5th dent card then their sled is reduced to a pile of matchwood.
They can travel no further on this sled. It is removed from the race. If, however, the sled has already
crossed the finish line then the sled is left in the space it reached before it required to take the dent
card. It can still win the race, although the driver might require some bandages.

So if the sled crosses the finish line, it's still eligible to win. I'm still unsure if the sled would have to stop on the space corresponding to the 5th dent card, or if it would complete the movement to the end of the turn as described in the original question.

Quote:
In a round where one or more players cross the finish line the game comes to an end when the round is complete. Those who cross the finish are the only players eligible for ranking.

The rules say:

At the end of a round, all players who have crossed the
finish line have finished the race.
The player furthest passed the finish line wins the race and
is considered first. This may differ from the player who
crossed the finish line first.
If the sleds are tied, then the sled to the side of the track
nearest the chequered flag wins. Play then continues onto the
next round, and so on, until all players have finished the race.

We do play the race ends after the round when any players cross the finish line, but the rules do allow all others to continue until they finish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser Lamont
Scotland
Dunblane
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Piqsid wrote:

For this game, I had a unique situation that the rules don't answer. My wife was clearly going to win, and my sister and I were way behind. In the turn my wife crossed the finish line, I decided to secure second place by balancing my sled with two 5's and a 1 on the brake. At the time I was in third place so my speed was twelve. At the end of my movement I ended up in second place, but I also crossed a 4 speed limit line and took 8 dent cards.
Any answers?

Hi David,

Glad you enjoyed the game

You need to drift at least once to get round the U-bend and twice to get round the curve. It is not possible to go over a speed limit and pass the end of a curve piece on one turn (and especially so travelling in a straight line!). Therefore, we were a bit perplexed as to what happened in your game.

What we think is that you placed the curve piece the wrong way round - this would have meant the speed limit was on the exit of the curve and would explain how you managed to cross the finish line on the same turn as passing through the speed limit. Remember, the track is set up with yellow flags on the left and red flags on the right.

However, we fully approve of the flagrant picking up of dent cards - if you don't finish with at least two, you weren't even trying

cheers,
Fraser

Fraser Lamont
Fragor Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dicemanjnr wrote:

You need to drift at least once to get round the U-bend and twice to get round the curve. It is not possible to go over a speed limit and pass the end of a curve piece on one turn (and especially so travelling in a straight line!). Therefore, we were a bit perplexed as to what happened in your game.

I was in the second lane of a 45 degree turn, which allows for 5 straight movements after the speed limit line. There were two straight pieces directly before the turn, giving me a long run of at least 17 spaces to go straight. I think I would have gone three spaces into the turn to complete my 12 movement turn (had I not exploded into a mile of matchwood as soon as I passed the speed limit line). So I think it is very feasable.

I think you many be confused thinking that I somehow crossed the finish line. I did not. Reading some of the other responses, I see that anyone who does not cross the finish line does not place, so in this case, regardless of whether my pile of matchwood was in front of my sister or not, neither of us placed.

However, if you are going to have a series of races, then you need placement for all the sleds in each race, so I think you would need to play it out to the end until everyone crosses the finish line. In which case, I would get either last or a DQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I see, you ended up on the curve. It sounded like you started on the curve, and got to the finish line.

You may wish to hand out points for standings in a series, but still, I think the rules for 5 dents are clear. That player's sled gets removed, and a DNF.

In a series, a DNF would be different than last place, and should be scored differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser Lamont
Scotland
Dunblane
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Piqsid wrote:

I think you many be confused thinking that I somehow crossed the finish line. I did not. Reading some of the other responses, I see that anyone who does not cross the finish line does not place, so in this case, regardless of whether my pile of matchwood was in front of my sister or not, neither of us placed.

Hi David,

I was indeed thinking you had crossed the line, sorry for the confusion

As Jeff said, you continue until all players have crossed the line, so your sister could have overtaken you at her leisure (assuming she did not also crash out of the race).

cheers,
Fraser

Fraser Lamont
Fragor Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.