2 Posts

Britannia» Forums » Rules

Subject: Round 16 kingship? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert
Netherlands
flag msg tools
The round 16 kingship has always seemed a bit confusing to me, probably because I only played the old game once, the new game a few times, and the fight almost always seems to end in a tie. The revised rules, however, seem a bit more clear to me, but I'd like to see if I interpret them correctly anyway.

- First, you take the Saxons, the Normans, the Danes and the Norwegians.
- Then, of those four, you ignore those whose leader is dead.
- If only 1 nation remains, their leader becomes King.
- If more than 1 nation remains, the remaining, still-with-leader nations compete for kingship using the normal area-holding rules.
- If this results in a King, but a nation which isn't the Saxons, the Normans, the Danes or the Norwegians, holds at least twice as many areas in England as the prospective King's (so normally, if it were just the two of them competing, the "outsider" would become King), there is no King.

If this is the case, then the following scenarios play out like this:

Scenario 1:
The Welsh hold 8 areas in England, the Saxons 6, the Danes 2, the Norwegians 2, the Normans 2, and Harold is alive.
- No matter who else is alive, Harold the Saxon becomes King.
- However, if the Saxons were to only hold 4 areas in England, the Welsh would block Harold's Kingship.

Scenario 2:
The Saxons hold 10 areas in England, the Danes 3, the Norwegians 2, and the Normans 5.
- If only Harald Hardrada is still alive, Harald becomes King.
- If only Harald and Svein are still alive, there is no King. (Both lack the amount of areas needed for Kingship.)
- If only William and Harald are still alive, William becomes King. (His 5 areas beat Harald's 2 areas.)
- If only William and Svein are still alive, there is no King. (William doesn't have twice as many areas in England as Svein.)
- If Harold the Saxon is alive, he becomes King, period.

This means that it's theoretically possible to become King even if you only have 1 area, as long as everyone else is dead and there are no outsiders with 2 or more English areas; it also means that nations whose leader has died, are irrelevant for the turn 16 Kingship (they sit in a corner and mope, I guess). Am I reading things correctly, or am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conster wrote:

Scenario 2:
The Saxons hold 10 areas in England, the Danes 3, the Norwegians 2, and the Normans 5.
- If only William and Harald are still alive, William becomes King. (His 5 areas beat Harald's 2 areas.)

I think that is not correct. If William and Harlad are both alive, check if either of them is king according to normal rules, i.e. at least double of areas in England than any other nation. So neither of them is king.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.