Subject: Question regarding Middle Earth The Wizards Starter Set rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: ME:CCG [+] [View All]
Bob Cebula
United States
Hasbrouck Heights
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The box says it comes with two marshalling point markers. Does anybody know what these are, or what they look like?

The reason I'm asking is because I just received a starter set, already opened, which seems to be complete except I can't find any marshalling point markers. I'd like to know what they are so I can tell if I have a complete set here or not.

Thanks,
Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donal Hegarty
United States
Webster Groves
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are two SMALL plastic chips/discs maybe 1cm diameter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yegor Sadoshenko
Ukraine
Dniepropetrovsk
Dniepropetrovsk region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. You're lucky. Where did you get it? I'm trying desperately to find one for my own birthday, but so far they are either too expensive (and still got sold or removed from sale), or are not complete.

Could you list the components in detail? At least I need to know what maps are included (I saw pics with The Play maps and another map, which is not listed) and what kind of booklets (there should be Abbreviated Starter rules and Play sample)?

Thanks in advance.

As for the markers, you could see them in this picture:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/5224

Just under the Hobbit figures. This pic also features the map I'm asking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uisge Beatha
Scotland
flag msg tools
Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 - 84.7% turnout
badge
mb

YeGor wrote:
Could you list the components in detail? At least I need to know what maps are included (I saw pics with The Play maps and another map, which is not listed) and what kind of booklets (there should be Abbreviated Starter rules and Play sample)?.

The back of the box says it "Contains:" [with my comments added]

"A 60-card ready-to-play "Gandalf" deck and a 60-card ready-to-play "Saruman" deck [with grey (Gandalf) and white (Saruman) bordered cards, all individually numbered; NB the decks don't include any locations - see below]
A full-color Middle-earth play map and two full-color player sheets [the 'map' (labelled "The Play Maps") is actually a chart depicting the location cards for Rivendell & Lorien and 12 other locations, with hazard paths and 'Starter Movement' linkages between locations clearly marked - this 'map' is shown in the middle of the picture you've linked to - the 'player sheets' are laid out with spaces for the Play Deck, Discard Pile and Out-of-play Pile as well as a Marshalling Point Track, helpful rule reminders (a key to the Site & Region Symbols; "Combat Modifications" and a Player Turn Summary) and starting Character layouts customised for each player - these are above (Saruman) and below (Gandalf) the 'map' in the picture you limked to]
An Initial Adventure Guide that leads two players step by step through a detailed sample game [detailed set-up and play by play for a 5 turn game - 16 pages A4]
A short, quick-reference Abbreviated Starter Rules book and a large print Complete Rules Book [The Abbreviated Rules are a decent summary - 4 pages A4; the Complete Rule Book runs to 48 pages and is also A4 - other than its size it appaers to be a duplicate of the standard rule inserts from the starter packs from ME:TW - useful to have in a readable size!]
Two "burning eye" six sided dice, two "Hobbit" company markers and two marshalling point markers" [The dice are grey with red spots/eye; the 'Hobbits' and marshalling point markers come in grey and white to match the card borders - again, as seen in the picture you linked to.]

Not mentioned in the contents is a single sheet headed "Read This First" which explains how to order the cards in the play decks and includes errata for the Initial Adventure Guide.

Finally, the actual map shown at the bottom of the picture you've linked to is I think extracted from the complete rule book. I can no longer be sure about that as mine too is separate - I've added a full set of location cards to the box so there's no need to use the other 'map' after the first game and this map, the rules and the Hobbit markers are used for all my METW games (hence why it was handy enough for me to refer to in answering your question).

Hope this helps but feel free to ask if you've other questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yegor Sadoshenko
Ukraine
Dniepropetrovsk
Dniepropetrovsk region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for your extended reply.
That "Read this first" sheet, how does it look like? On some pictures I saw a b&w sheet, but I can't tell what it is. Probably an advertisement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uisge Beatha
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mb

YeGor wrote:

That "Read this first" sheet, how does it look like?

It's a single A4 sheet, printed on one side only, black type on white.

YeGor wrote:

On some pictures I saw a b&w sheet, but I can't tell what it is. Probably an advertisement.

There's also a smaller (A5ish) ICE Catalogue, the cover of which is white type on a black background, with a b&w illo I don't immediately recognise - perhaps a Palantir - that may be what you've seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yegor Sadoshenko
Ukraine
Dniepropetrovsk
Dniepropetrovsk region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Celtic wrote:

It's a single A4 sheet, printed on one side only, black type on white.

Thanks.

Celtic wrote:
There's also a smaller (A5ish) ICE Catalogue, the cover of which is white type on a black background, with a b&w illo I don't immediately recognise - perhaps a Palantir - that may be what you've seen.

I guess you're right. Thanks again for all the explanations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yegor Sadoshenko
Ukraine
Dniepropetrovsk
Dniepropetrovsk region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to the author of this thread, I'm now a happy owner of this set.
Now it's off to translating cards and rules into Russian and teaching my wife to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uisge Beatha
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mb

Wow, that will be a lot of work; good luck with it - it's a fantastic game.

It may be worth your while asking over at http://www.meccg.net/dforum/ if anyone has worked on a Russian translation before now - you may just get lucky!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yegor Sadoshenko
Ukraine
Dniepropetrovsk
Dniepropetrovsk region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Celtic wrote:

Wow, that will be a lot of work; good luck with it -

Thanks.

Celtic wrote:
it's a fantastic game.

That's why I want to teach my wife and then our son (he's too small yet).

Celtic wrote:
It may be worth your while asking over at http://www.meccg.net/dforum/ if anyone has worked on a Russian translation before now - you may just get lucky!

No, I'll do it myself. I'm a translator, after all.
I'm not going to translate the entire rules. Well, at least, not at once. First Initial Adventure Guide and the cards. After that we'll see. Moreover I have the terms, the game summary and the combat summary translated. I made that translation some years ago when I first got into the game. So, not much work really. But, unfortunatelly, not much time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yegor Sadoshenko
Ukraine
Dniepropetrovsk
Dniepropetrovsk region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, everything's ready. In less than 2 months (taking into account I first worked on other games, and, sure, had my usual stuff to do). Translated the cards, the Abbreviated Starter Rules and the Initial Adventure Guide. Now all I have to do is wait for the new toners for the color printer and print everything (yes, my Adventure Guide features color cards). And then off to adventure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is just a small plastic disc. Nothing special about it, you could use a dime if you wished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven R
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone is interested, I'm selling my copy...and yes the marshalling markers are black and white plastic discs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
I missed a set like this with just a few days, what a tragedy.

I wonder if i ever get the chance again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.