Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Smith
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a limit on the kind of information you can give? For instance, is saying "replenishing the blue reactor on 3" or asking "I can fire red lasers on 4, is the reactor full?" allowed?

I guess I'm asking two things here:
1. What sorts of announcements do you find the most helpful?
2. Is there anything that you not allowed to say?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, disallowing any communication beyond showing what's in your hand or on your board would make this game nigh impossible. You can say anything.

The best communication, in my opinion, is volunteering for something, "I'll take care of the asteroid," or clearly expressing something you need done which you yourself cannot do, "I need someone to fire the secondary weapon in blue on turn 5."

See my strategy article on protocol for more detailed recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can say pretty much anything. You can move bits around to indicate that in turn 4 power cubes go from bottom center to bottom right, say. You can move your dude to whereever he happens to be going. You can do all that.

You just gotta do all that within 10 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is what I assumed, that you could say anything. Just wanted to check!

Thanks for the quick replies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Wilson
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely talk about anything and everything. This isn't a game like Pandemic or Arkham Horror where one person can basically run the game -- everyone needs to be on the same page, and that takes some communication skills.

I think the most important point is coordinating weapons. Because of enemy shields, you're almost always going to want to fire the upper and lower weapons at the same time (and even time it with a rocket impact!). Figure out exactly when you need to fire, and tell someone: "Can you get down to lower red and fire on turn six?". You'll be amazed how easy it is to accidentally stagger your shots and fail to destroy a threat that should be dead a couple of times over.

The other big one is power. It's not enough to update the board every time someone uses or moves power cubes. Announce when it will happen! If I power up the blue reactor on turn nine and just move the cubes over there, someone else might try firing the blue main cannon on turn eight, because it LOOKS like there's power available. If I say "blue reactor charged on turn nine", there's much less chance of this happening.

And if nothing else, make sure that mouse gets waggled! My group actually has the player waggling the mouse physically take the grey cube off the bridge and put it on his turn track, right on top of the "C" card he used. Remember: if you miss one mouse waggle, there's a decent chance you'll miss a second one in a subsequent phase, due to the delay.

Once you've played with the same group a few times, you'll get a feel for which things need to be communicated (and repeated!) and which aren't as important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Ooooooooah ! I will be playing this game solo ninja Well, no one will hear me when I start shouting out questions and answering them myself laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lawrence
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
Hey! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:

Ooooooooah ! I will be playing this game solo ninja Well, no one will hear me when I start shouting out questions and answering them myself laugh

With any luck, you won't argue too much with yourself at a critical moment. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.