Subject: card game '2500' rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cynthia Nims
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Some friends taught us this addicting game a year or so ago and I have been trying to trace it a bit, confirm rules, see if it's a variation on another game. But I've had no luck finding reference to a card game by this name, even on this site with its extensive collection of card game rules: http://www.pagat.com/

Has anyone else ever heard of this game by chance? It's a 2-deck game, no deuces. Cards dealt to each player based on the value of the first card (which is dealt up), if it's a 7 they get 6 more cards, a jack gets 10 more cards, etc. So players never start with same number of cards. Wild card for each round is the 'up' card dealt for the dealer's hand. Need to have a natural triplet to make a first play.... Once a player's on the board, they can play singles against other players multiples. Those are the basics of the game. It's fun but can be frustrating waiting for that first triplet to be able to join the action. Can be surprisingly easy to go down with a fistload of cards, all counting in the negative. First to 2500 in the positive wins.

Just a point of curiosity!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds a lot like Canasta, but the starting cards thing sounds like a variant. Canasta Caliente

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've tried some google searches with no luck. I've played a lot of card games, but I've never heard of this one. It's definitely not canasta, at least not a variation I've ever heard of.

Edit - Are there any other rules that might help describe the game in more detail?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cynthia Nims
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Let's see.... to expand on what I have above:

Aces are wild too.

After dealing, remaining cards go in center, with top one flipped over

Each player either takes a card from the pile or takes the top discard card (surely more technical terms for those two options!). They can ONLY take the discard card if they can play it right away. And they can take more from discard pile as dictated by the top card; if it's a 5 they can take any number up to, but not more than, 4 more cards. And still it's the top card from the group that much be played right away.

When a player lays down their last card, the round ends and points are counted: those on the table in the positive, those in hand in the negative. 3 to 7 count 5 points, 8 to King count 10 points, Ace and wild card count 100 points.

I think that's pretty much the extent of what I know about the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It still sounds like a variation on Canasta.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cynthia Nims
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Yeah, I've never played canasta but in doing some reading I realize there are some common elements here. Maybe someone (a friend of a friend of a friend of the friend who taught it to us?) just made a free-wheeling variation on canasta that's remained a word-of-mouth game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
CynBad wrote:
Once a player's on the board, they can play singles against other players multiples.

I guess I was thrown by this part, I'm still not sure what it means to play singles against other players. But you're right, with the further explanation it does sound a lot like Canasta.

If it is Canasta you are looking for, that is one of my favorite card games by far. I play it regularly with just my wife, and we play with two teams of two sometimes as well. Being able to draw from the discard pile is a little different in Canasta because in certain situations you can actually get the entire stack, so playing with 3 players or two teams of three I don't care for because you depend on another team/player to keep the stack away from the others.

You should read up on the rules and try it out f2f, or I actually play at yahoo all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you play teams, can't you add to your partner's played cards? I've only played 2p, but I seem to remember something about that in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.