BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Traditional Social (Non-Gambling) Dice Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose Yahtzee has a fairly long history.

Are there any other games that:

1. can be played with (ten or fewer) ordinary six-sided dice;
2. do not require a board or any other components;
3. are good for as few as two players;
4. involve at least a modicum of strategy or thinking;
5. would be suitable for social/family (non-gambling) play; and
6. have an established tradition (the older or more popular, the better)?

Bonus:
Ideal would be a game with all the above features that does not require a special score sheet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a very limiting set of criteria.

Farkle
Cosmic Wimpout

Liar's Dice is great for groups but would not work 2 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
sbauer9 wrote:

Farkle
Cosmic Wimpout

I think Liar's dice works just fine with 2 actually...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Criteria 1 and no scoring sheet eliminate a lot of fantastic games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Liars Dice busts your ten dice limit, but otherwise should be qualified and accepted. You may want to check out Knizia's excellent book Dice Games Properly Explained
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
sbauer9 wrote:

Yes, I know. I've really been beating my head against a wall over it, and that's why I asked here.

FWIW, I've bought one of those wooden game sets; it includes cribbage, dominoes, and ten dice. I like the fact that these are all very old, tried-and-true gaming implements. But I'm not sure what to do with the dice. The rules for dominoes and cribbage I can commit to memory; and the cribbage board works for scoring both games (and other card games too). It bothers me that for Yahtzee I'd need to tuck score sheets into the box and add a pencil.

I'm vaguely remembering a game called Boss Dice that I used to play long ago in northern California bars. But nothing else comes to mind.

Popular BGG dice games all seem to involve a board of some kind (at least a hand-drawn one) or a special score sheet, and that's a drawback to me--goes against my grain somehow.

Even some traditional dice games (e.g., Shut the Box) use boards.

Quote:
Farkle
Cosmic Wimpout

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:
Liars Dice busts your ten dice limit, but otherwise should be qualified and accepted.

How does it bust the limit? Isn't it played with five dice at a time?

Quote:
You may want to check out Knizia's excellent book Dice Games Properly Explained

I would if it weren't so expensive. Looked at used copies at amazon.com a few days ago and decided against buying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Bagherra wrote:
Liars Dice busts your ten dice limit, but otherwise should be qualified and accepted.

Each player has 5 dice so if you wanted to play with more than 2 you would be out of luck. You could play with less but with only 10 dice it would be difficult. If desperate I suppose every one could roll the dice an write down the results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Padget
United States
Claremont
California [CA]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ship, Captain, and Crew -- a bit weak on the fourth point, but works otherwise, and the cribbage board is perfectly suited to scoring. (The game is "Ship, Captain, and Crew," but BGG renders it oddly.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Marenic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When we are already talking about Knizia's book, there is a nice free pnp game. It requires a score sheet and I wouldn't call it old.
Reiner Knizia's Decathlon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbauer9 wrote:
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Bagherra wrote:

Each player has 5 dice so if you wanted to play with more than 2 you would be out of luck. You could play with less but with only 10 dice it would be difficult. If desperate I suppose every one could roll the dice an write down the results.

Ah--it looks like there are two main versions of Liar's Dice, then--"common hand" and "individual hand." The latter is played by passing the cup of five dice from player to player.

Sometimes the "individual hand" version is called Poker Dice, but it's apparently different from what some think of as Poker Dice, as explained in this BGG thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bapadget wrote:
Ship, Captain, and Crew -- a bit weak on the fourth point, but works otherwise, and the cribbage board is perfectly suited to scoring. (The game is "Ship, Captain, and Crew," but BGG renders it oddly.)

So far, this seems like it might best fit the bill. Most sets of rules I've read for this simple game are in agreement, but oddly the Wikipedia article on it says the player gets five rolls, not three. Any comment on that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mb
I've posted the rules for Crag over here. Ith's basically Yacht with 3 dice only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Padget
United States
Claremont
California [CA]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always played 3 rolls. I've never tried 5, and I'm so not the guy to tell you the odds, but my experience is that with three rolls players seem to make Ship, Captain, and Crew (6, 5, and 4) somewhat more often than not, and my gut is that 5 rolls would make take away from what little tension the game has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stack needs more than 10 dice, but otherwise fits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smileyz wrote:
When we are already talking about Knizia's book, there is a nice free pnp game. It requires a score sheet and I wouldn't call it old.
Reiner Knizia's Decathlon

+1 for this. It is a well themed and varied dice game - although perhaps as with many dice games should not be played too many times in any one session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kr├╝ger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mia is a quite popular game in Germany. I just learned that it is supposed to be pretty old...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also play Shut the Box if you wrote the numbers on paper and crossed them out, or used something to cover them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
No "established tradition", but otherwise, how about Flip?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Extra! by Sid Sackson is pretty fun. It requires five dice and a sheet of paper to keep track of scores, (nothing special required though). It isn't exactly traditional, but Sid Sackson is a famous enough name...

You can also try it on BSW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems there's a Geeklist on this topic--sort of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bapadget wrote:
I've always played 3 rolls. I've never tried 5, and I'm so not the guy to tell you the odds, but my experience is that with three rolls players seem to make Ship, Captain, and Crew (6, 5, and 4) somewhat more often than not, and my gut is that 5 rolls would make take away from what little tension the game has.

I was thinking that too. But making your Ship, Captain, and Crew is really just a trivial matter of luck, whereas you have a real choice in what you do subsequently. So, maybe the more rolls, the more strategy.

Then again, it's kind of a moot point, I guess. The only strategy is rerolling if you've got less than 7 points on the two remaining dice--and maybe risking a reroll with 7 or 8 points if you're behind and need to catch up.

Five rolls in the Wikipedia article is probably wrong. Three seems to be the norm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh! Check out this Web site on dice games.

If I can't find what I'm looking for there, it probably doesn't exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.