Oliver Harrison
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried this for the first time yesterday.

The rules state that for the first mission, you use Force cards 1-7 for the Dark Legion player. There are 2 of each, iirc, making a total of 14 cards, but since only 3 were playing, I discarded 2, bringing the total to 12. The first mission has boards 1,2,4,5 (I think) so I distributed the cards (3 each) to the boards. I chose the cards to distribute, which I think I wasn't supposed to do, but my question is this:

First, that was a ton of DL troops. So many, that I can't imagine 2 players winning the scenario.

Secondly, I didn't even have enough characters to put out which makes me think I maybe was doing something wrong.

The DT troops both had basic weapons - the sword and gun. One player chose exploding rounds and the other the bionic arm. These didn't seem helpful enough to win. The player with the rounds had the troops that move 4, the player with the arm had one extra action per trooper.

Secondly, when I was rolling the dice (as the DL), my troops often were supposed to roll 4 whites... but the game only comes with 3. So I just re-rolled one. The trouble with this is when you get a card that allows re-rolls, making you re-roll another one, and forcing you to remember the results. Clearly this isn't hard in the least, but it seems ... well, clunky. Am I doing it wrong? WTH didn't this game come with 2x the dice?? 18 couldn't possibly have cost very much...

Thanks in advance.

Oliver

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Bludd
United States
Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are only 12 Force cards for the Dark Legion so you should only be playing with one copy of cards 1-7 in the first mission. Each sector will get one card and the remaining 3 should be divided between sectors 2 & 5 since they are bordered by the Citadel. The number of Force Cards should be randomly reduced by two for only 2 teams of Doomtroopers, and don't forget that the Dark Legion player can only call for reinforcements (as listed on the Event Cards) twice per mission when playing with 2 teams.

The number of dice is indeed a bummer. I got lucky and found a second set on ebay but it's the only set I've ever seen for sale (someone was parting out a new, complete copy of the game). Your best (and cheapest) other bet would be to pick up some blank recessed-face dice and make your own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Harrison
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for the clarification re: Force cards. That makes much more sense now.

As for the dice, I'm thinking of ordering these: http://www.spielmaterial.de/english/index.html?dice_special_... (first set, black dice with stars)

they're good "all in ones".. for the black dice, any star is a hit. for the red dice, the Yellow stars would be a hit (2x yellows), for whites, the red stars would be a hit (1x reds).

10 dice should do it.

Thanks again for the feedback. We're going to try again on Sunday...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrevilo wrote:
Thanks so much for the clarification re: Force cards. That makes much more sense now.

As for the dice, I'm thinking of ordering these: http://www.spielmaterial.de/english/index.html?dice_special_... (first set, black dice with stars)

they're good "all in ones".. for the black dice, any star is a hit. for the red dice, the Yellow stars would be a hit (2x yellows), for whites, the red stars would be a hit (1x reds).

10 dice should do it.

Thanks again for the feedback. We're going to try again on Sunday...

Umm, just remember, on the white die, there are actually 2 hits, 4 misses, the red die has 3 hit and 3 misses, and the black has 4 hits, and 2 misses.

Your die could work for red: any star is a hit. And for white: yellow stars are a hit, but it won't work for black.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(funnier in person)
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was so excited about those star dice too. Too bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YearoftheCat wrote:
I was so excited about those star dice too. Too bad.

Remember, if you really want to use them, the white and black dice are opposites.

For white: yellow stars are hits
for black: no yellow stars are hits

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.