Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: variant [+] [View All]
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people have expressed a concern about a lack of interaction, and the possibility of a runaway leader, especially when there are only two or three players.

One solution would be to add a non-player sled the "Wolf Spirit", controlled by whichever player is in last position each turn, similar to Mississippi Queen: The Black Rose. This variant could easily be used whenever there are fewer than five active players.

The turn order for this sled would be determined just like any other, so it might be 1st, 2nd, 5th etc. but control would pass each turn to whichever player had their own sled in last place (among the player sleds.) This player could use this sled to try and block the front runners, or clear saplings from the track ahead. The additional sled on the track would also mean a slightly larger balanced sled bonus for the trailing players.

The "Wolf Spirit" would gather dents just like other sleds, but in order to keep it from being intentionally run out of the game, the Wolf Spirit would also discard one dent card each turn, AFTER refilling the hand of movment cards.
Example: if the Wolf spirit had two movement cards and two dent cards, only one more movement card would be drawn, to refill to the standard five cards. THEN one dent card is discarded.) That way dent cards do matter briefly, but they are not permanent.

Admittedly, the player controlling the "Wolf Spirit" would also have the advantage of seeing the hand of cards for that sled, so to limit that effect, the remaining cards in hand should be laid face down after moving the Wolf Spirit, and any additional movement cards required should be drawn and placed with the facedown hand without looking at the new cards. So at least only the last player in the next round would see the new cards.

Edit: Seems to me you should plan on using the black sled for the Wolf Spirit! I know the black sled is a popular choice for a player sled though....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd vote for the green sled as the wolf spirit, as it's harder to spot amongst all those green saplings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tradewinds Ted wrote:
Some people have expressed a concern about a lack of interaction, and the possibility of a runaway leader, especially when there are only two or three players.

One solution would be to add a non-player sled the "Wolf Spirit", controlled by whichever player is in last position each turn, similar to Mississippi Queen: The Black Rose. This variant could easily be used whenever there are fewer than five active players.

The turn order for this sled would be determined just like any other, so it might be 1st, 2nd, 5th etc. but control would pass each turn to whichever player had their own sled in last place (among the player sleds.) This player could use this sled to try and block the front runners, or clear saplings from the track ahead. The additional sled on the track would also mean a slightly larger balanced sled bonus for the trailing players.

The "Wolf Spirit" would gather dents just like other sleds, but in order to keep it from being intentionally run out of the game, the Wolf Spirit would also discard one dent card each turn, AFTER refilling the hand of movment cards.
Example: if the Wolf spirit had two movement cards and two dent cards, only one more movement card would be drawn, to refill to the standard five cards. THEN one dent card is discarded.) That way dent cards do matter briefly, but they are not permanent.

Admittedly, the player controlling the "Wolf Spirit" would also have the advantage of seeing the hand of cards for that sled, so to limit that effect, the remaining cards in hand should be laid face down after moving the Wolf Spirit, and any additional movement cards required should be drawn and placed with the facedown hand without looking at the new cards. So at least only the last player in the next round would see the new cards.

Edit: Seems to me you should plan on using the black sled for the Wolf Spirit! I know the black sled is a popular choice for a player sled though....

And what about only refreshing fixed hand of - say 3 cards - when the last player always has to draw a "new hand" just for his turn? (then after playing some of those cards, he will have to discard all the remaining)
Also, what about no dent cards for this "wolf spirit sledge"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Green sled to blend in with the trees is fine too, of course. When using the saplings with fewer than 5 plyers I do advise against anyone taking the green sled as their own piece for this very reason. I was just thinking of the the black piece, because there are black wolves, and of course also thinking of the Black Rose piece for Mississippi Queen. (there are red wolves too, but they aren't really that red, and not from the Arctic.)

XehutL wrote:
And what about only refreshing fixed hand of - say 3 cards - when the last player always has to draw a "new hand" just for his turn? (then after playing some of those cards, he will have to discard all the remaining)
I'm not sure I follow your meaning. Do you mean that whoever controls the Wolf Spirit sled would draw an entirely new had of only three cards each turn? That would solve the problem of knowledge of remaining cards when control of the wolf spirit passes to another player. On the other hand it would make the sled difficult to control. If a player is very far back, and controls the wolf spirit for a while, then it is nice to give them some real control, so it really will help them catch the leaders.

Quote:
Also, what about no dent cards for this "wolf spirit sledge"?
a)If you use the 3 new cards rule suggested above, then I would agree to this change too, since control of the sled is already very limited.
b)If using the standard hand of 5 cards, retained from turn to turn, which allows planning, them elminating all possibility of damage from dent cards gives the Wolf Spirit TOO MUCH power. Imagine blasting through a curve that has a speed limit of 4 but travelling at a speed of 8. There is a big difference between getting 4 dents, then gradually losing them, vs. not getting any damage at all.

I can see that the combination of drawing a new hand of three fresh cards each turn, not taking dent cards, would certainly be simpler to implement. I'll have to give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.