Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
101 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Design Contest - Traditional Card Game (2 player). Prize Pool of 200 GG. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Ross
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This past weekend I spent some time going through the BGG database to help classify games that belong to the Traditional Card Game family. For my efforts, the BGG admins were kind enough to award me a fairly sizable amount of Geekgold. Since I already have an avatar and geekbadge, and am not really looking to spend the gold on anything else for myself, I thought it would be best to share the bounty by running a game design contest. Being a fan of traditional card games, and having been awarded the prize money for work related to them, it seemed appropriate to make the contest be about designing more of the same. I'm also especially interested in traditional card games that play well with only two players, so that criteria has been added to the competition as well.

Currently, I have 200.00 up for grabs. If I receive any future gold over the course of the contest, it will be added to the prize pool. My plan is to award 60% of the pool to the person who wins first prize, 30% to the person who places second, and 10% to the person who places third - whatever those amounts may be at the time the contest ends. So, at the moment, the prizes would be 120.00 for first, 60.00 for second, and 20.00 for third. I imagine it will be higher by the time this is finished.

Following in the tradition set forth by Mike Barlow (Reprint), I'll outline the rules below in a numbered list.

RULES:

1. Make a new and original traditional card game for two(2) players. The game can support more (or less) than two players, if you wish, but it must be playable by two in order to qualify for this contest. (Edit - If the rules have not yet been published anywhere (online or otherwise) before the start date of this contest, I will consider them eligible.)

2. The game must be playable with a standard deck of cards or, to spice things up a bit, playable with a deck of playing Tarot cards. If you want to design a custom deck for print-and-play, that's okay, but the game must not require your custom deck to be played.

3. If you choose to design a game using playing Tarot cards, then you are limited to using at most one deck. For standard decks, you may use one or more decks (no limit).

4. I'll define a standard deck as consisting of no more than 4 distinct suits with no more than 13 distinct ranks plus any number of Jokers. Since Tarot decks have an extra court card not found in standard decks, the Tarot deck may have no more than 14 distinct ranks in 4 suits plus the Trump suit (Major Arcana - I,II,...XX,XXI) and one Fool.

5. If you wish, you may use fewer than 4 suits or fewer than 13 ranks. For Tarot decks, if you wish, you may choose to use only the Major Arcana. These are not requirements, they are options.

6. The cards may use any traditional pattern of suits that you wish, be it French (Clubs, Diamonds, Hearts, Spades), German (Acorns, Bells, Hearts, Leaves), Latin (Swords, Batons, Cups, Coins), Swiss (Acorns, Flowers, Shields, Bells), etc. Other less common patterns may be used, but the game must not rely upon those patterns to be playable.

7. Multiple decks may be combined (in any way you like) or kept separated, whichever you wish. You can have decks with identical card sizes or different card sizes. You can have decks with identical backs or different backs (note exception below). You can have decks with identical fronts or different fronts. You can have decks with the same suits or with different suits. For example, you could combine a French deck with a Latin deck if you like (as has been done with Cripple Mr. Onion).** Exception: If you do choose to mix decks with different suits, you cannot require each deck to have the same size of cards or to share the same card back images, since it may be difficult for people to find, say, a German suited deck and a Swiss suited deck that had the same size cards and/or had the same card backs.

** Note: Rule 7 (above) allows you to design decks with more than 4 suits, so long as the suits and cards used are from the types of standard decks described above.

8. The cards must not be modified, i.e., you should not need to mark up, paste onto, or write on the cards in order to play the game.

9. You may use any mechanisms you wish including (but not limited to): trick-taking, climbing, beating, fishing, adding, draw-and-discard, set collection, matching, memory, deduction, auction, wagering, etc.

10. If you wish, you may incorporate poker chips, coins, glass beads, stones, buttons, a cribbage board, pen&paper (items that are commonly used for score keeping) into your design. If you would like to use these items for some purpose other than scoring, that is allowed.

11. You may provide a player aid, if you wish.

12. While I am allowing a cribbage board, no other boards are allowed.

13. I would prefer that the games not include dice or pawns or other gaming materials. However, some combat games may require these materials so I will allow them, but please try to limit their use - it's best if the games remain primarily card games. If dice are to be used, they may only be d6's.

14. Your entry may be themed or abstract.

15. You may post your game to this thread via text or link and explain how the game works or post the rules.

16. You may submit as many entries as you wish.

17. The deadline for entries will be Saturday, August 1st, 2009 by noon EST. You may begin posting entries anytime between then and now.

18. Starting 2 weeks later, the Top 5 entries will be determined by voting in a poll that I will set up on Saturday, August 15th, 2009 and have run until Saturday, August 22nd, 2009. Games will be identified by name and by links to their original posts. From these Top 5 entries, the prize winners will be determined by a second round of voting that will begin on Saturday, August 22nd, 2009 and end on Saturday, August 29th, 2009.

19. PRIZES: I've added a 3rd place prize
The current prize pool is 200.00 It may grow between now and when the prizes are awarded. Whatever the size of the pool at that time, its amount will be split as follows:

1st prize: 60% of prize pool
2nd prize: 30% of prize pool
3rd prize: 10% of prize pool

If there's a tie, it will be broken by thumbs to the original entry. Thumbs from the original post will only count in this way. If there is still a tie, it will be resolved as follows:
(i) More than two tied for first place: The entire prize pool will be split between all tied contestants. There will be no prize for second place or third place.
(ii) Two tied for first place: The tied contestants will split the total amount of both the 1st and 2nd prize. The third place prize will go to the next highest vote getter(s).
(iii) Tied for second place: The second place and third place prize will be split between all tied contestants. There will be no third place.
(iv) Tied for third place: The third place prize will be split between all tied contestants.

20. I am not eligible to enter the competition.

Okay. That should about cover it but if there are any questions, let me know and I will try to answer them in as timely a fashion as I am able.

Cheers and good luck,
Sean
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Design Contest - Traditional Card Game (2 player). Win Geek Gold.
Is it legal to specify combining 2 card decks with different backs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ross
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
So, different backs but same pattern/suits on the front? Sure.

And, the rules already cover having more than one kind of pattern/suits on the front.
rules wrote:
If you do choose to mix different patterned decks, your game must not require each deck to have the same size of cards or to share the same card back images.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
seandavidross wrote:
cferejohn wrote:
So, different backs but same pattern/suits on the front? Sure.

And, the rules already cover having more than one kind of pattern/suits on the front.
rules wrote:
If you do choose to mix different patterned decks, your game must not require each deck to have the same size of cards or to share the same card back images.

Oh, so we can't require 2 decks (or cards from 2 decks) to be shuffled together? That seems like it would be hard if the 2 decks were different sizes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm tinkering with an idea that uses some beads/stones (not too many), but I need a way for each player to keep the quantity of his token pile a secret -- like maybe by putting them in a cup, or maybe covering their pile with something.

Is this allowed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ross
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
I'm tinkering with an idea that uses some beads/stones (not too many), but I need a way for each player to keep the quantity of his token pile a secret -- like maybe by putting them in a cup, or maybe covering their pile with something.

Is this allowed?
Sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ross
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Oh, so we can't require 2 decks (or cards from 2 decks) to be shuffled together? That seems like it would be hard if the 2 decks were different sizes...
I'll need to go back and see if I can clarify these rules, there seems to be some confusion. But, until I can get around to that, the answer to your question is 'No. You can require 2 decks to be shuffled together'. More later, it's 3 a.m. here....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Phillips
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so here's my game.

Tripps

This is a traditional card game using a regular deck of 52 cards. It is played over the course of 3 series, each of which has 4 rounds.

Round 1

Set-up
Players are dealt 6 cards, 3 face up for everyone to see and 3 in a hand they keep to themselves. Then cards are placed in the middle of the table in 6 groups of 3. (I envision each group in a triangular pattern). This means that in round one there are 12 cards dealt out amongst players and 18 cards in the table arranged in groups of 3.

Gameplay

The object of the game is to win points by taking the groups on the table. In round 1, each group is worth one point and they are won by combining the numbers of the cards in the group so that the total is a multiple of 3.(the face cards are J=11, Q=12, K=13) To begin play, turn over one card in one group. Then in alternating turns, a player can either turn over another card in the group, replace a card with one in his hand (this can be a face-up or face-down card) or turn over a card from another group. All groups are in play simultaneously, but no face-down card in a group can be replaced until at least one card in that groups has been turned over. Also, all cards played from the players hand are always placed face-up. The player to turn over the last card wins the group if its total is a multiple of 3. If it is not, then no points are scored. Score the round and re-shuffle for round 2.

Round 2

In round 2, players are still dealt hands of 6, three face-up, three hidden. In round 2, the center table holds 5 groups of 4 cards each. This round groups are won with multiples of 4 and each is worth 2 points. Play is the same

Round 3

Rounds 3 uses the same hand of 6. The middle of the table now has 4 groups of 5 cards each and they are won with multiples of 5. They are worth 3 points each.

Final Round

The final round has the same hands. The table has 3 groups of 6 cards each. These groups are won with multiples of 6. They are worth 5 points each.

This ends the series. The number of series played can be varied to suit tastes, but 3 seems like a good length to me.

Total possible points per round

Round 1- 6
Round 2- 10
Round 3- 12
Round 4- 15

The idea was to combine a sense of trick-taking with a counting game like Cribbage. The key, I believe, is the partially hidden, partially revealed hands. This allows players to strategize while still leaving the unexpected. The balance comes with the choices to replace a card that is already face-up. Doing so changes the dynamic of the group each time, so one player can try to swing a group their direction

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good thing you dropped this one in right before the deadline.
laugh

Great, now the pressure is on to actually produce something.
Interesting sounding game, by the way.
thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keith
United States
Umatilla
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Even More Odd

This is a 2 player game using a single deck of standard playing cards.
The goal is to win the most hands. Player 1 is Even Player 2 Odd(this may or may not be limited to the game but that is none of my business).
Remove the Jokers before playing.
Rules Change: Each player gets a full deck of their own making this a 2 deck game. The decks are shuffled seperately and each player uses 1.
Ace = 1
2-10 = Face value
J-K = Changes the value of all cards matching that suit to zero.

1. Shuffle the cards and cut for player 1 (highest card)
2. (removed)
3. Each player draws 7 cards
4.Player 1 plays the first card. Player 1 must play cards until the total value of the cards in play on the table are an even amount. Cards are laid overlapping leaving 1 side open to view on all cards.
5.Player 2 plays a card changing the total amount of the cards in play to an odd number.

EXAMPLE: Player 1 plays a 6H
The values 6H = 6
Player 2 plays an AceD
The values change AceD + 6H = 7
Player 1 plays a 3C
The values change 3C + AceD + 6H = 10

6. Either player may play a face card(J-K) on their turn instead of a numeric card. A face card changes the values of all cards matching its suit to Zero. If a face card of equal value is in play both cards stay in affect.

EXAMPLE: Cards in play 6H + 3D + 5C + 8C + 5S = 27
Player 1 plays JS
The values change JS + 6H + 3D + 8C +(5S=0) = 22
Player 2 plays JD
Tha Value changes JD + JS + 6H +(3D=0) + 8C +(5S=0) =19

If a face card is played and any facecards of lesser value are in affect the lesser value facecards are discarded and all effects are removed. If a lesser facecard is played after a greater facecard ALL take effect.If another higher face-card is played any equal or higher face-cards stay in affect and all lesser face-cards played previously are discarded.

EXAMPLE: Cards in play 5H + 3D + 6C + 8C + 5D = 27
Player 1 plays JH
The values change JH +(5H=0)+ 3D + 6C + 8C + 5D = 22
Player 2 plays KC
The values change (JH=discarded)KC + 5H + 3D +(6C=0)+(8C=0) + 5D = 22

7. Each hand is played with the 7 cards each player drew from their stack. The hand ends when player 1 cannot make the total showing even or if player 2 cannot make the total showing odd by the end of that players turn. If both players run out of cards before one fails to match their amount the hand is a draw.

8. If a player cannot meet his desired total(odd or even) the opposing player wins that hand.Players may choose to concede a hand even if they have a legal card to play. The losing player discards all remaining cards in his hand and draws 7 new cards. The Winning player draws as many cards as it takes to return to 7 cards in his hand and players start the next hand.Changed both players draw only the cards needed to reach 7 in their hand and do not have to discard.

9. Players alternate who plays the first card starting with player 1 and changing each hand played.

10. If a player does not have enough cards to draw 7 he simply draws all the remaining cards he has and plays out the hand normally.

11. Game play ends when a player runs out of cards. The player with cards counts those in his hand plus those remaining in his draw deck and divides this by 7(round up). That is added to his opponent's "Hands won" total. Count both players hands won. The player with the most won hands is the winner. Players may track hands won with pen and paper or by simply stacking the won hands alternately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would rules that require each player to have their own deck of cards (standard 52 card deck) be permissible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
KillMeForPrizes wrote:
Would rules that require each player to have their own deck of cards (standard 52 card deck) be permissible?

I hope so, because mine does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ross
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KillMeForPrizes wrote:
Yep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
seandavidross wrote:

RULES:

1. Make a new and original traditional card game for two(2) players. The game can support more (or less) than two players, if you wish, but it must be playable by two in order to qualify for this contest.

Sean

Would a theme game, such as car racing fall into this definition? Ala Mad Max/Fallout 3 but with playing cards. Or would that be a bit beyond what your thinking of as traditional?

Thanks

-Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
My game: Tarot Poker.

Not a completely new game. In fact, it is a system that combines with several regular poker games. Take your favourite poker game, replace the common deck by a Tarot deck, and use these rules for the Major Arcana.

TAROT POKER
These rules are designed to use tarot cards in a wide variety of poker games; stud games, draw games, community card games, and any combination of them.

The idea is that the major arcana change the rules of the game. If a player plays a major arcana, he receives a new card, but he has to place one of his covered cards open on the table. The major arcana goes to the middle of the table. This card is no longer part of the player's hand.
If a major arcana starts as an open card (as in stud poker), it automatically comes into effect and goes to the middle of the table. The player receives a new open card.
If a major arcana starts in the flop, it automatically comes into effect and goes to the middle of the table. The card is replaced.

Major arcana in hand can be played during the player's turn in the betting phase, before they bet. The player places the major arcana in the middle of the table, then receives a new card (covered) and places one of his covered cards open on the table. The card's effect is resolved before the player has to bet.

0. The Fool Each player may discard one card and pick a new one from the discard pile. That card is put open on the table.
The player of this MA determines who goes first, from there discarding continues clockwise.

1. The Magician All major arcana on the table (and their effects) are removed.
If this card is played immediately after another major arcana, that card is cancelled. No other cards are removed.

2. The Papess Pages are wild.

3. The Empress Queens are wild.

4. The Emperor Kings are wild.

5. The Pope Knights are wild.

6. The Lovers Kings and queens count as the same kind of cards when forming pairs, three, four, five of a kind, or a full house.

7. The Chariot Direction of play is reversed.

8. Justice No new major arcana can be played.

9. The Hermit In a community card game each player can switch one of his cards with one of the flop. The player of this MA starts, then the player on his left, etc.
If there is no flop, take five cards from the deck and place them open on the table.

10. The Wheel of Fortune Everybody replaces their cards with an equal number of new cards. Open cards are replaced by open cards, closed ones by closed ones.

11. Fortitude Hand size is increased by one.

12. The Hanged Man Card values are reversed. The King is the lowest card, the Ace the highest.

13. Death The player picks one major arcana on the table and places it in his own hand. If that card had a continuous effect, it is now removed. The player receives no new card.
If this card is played immediately after another major arcana, that card is cancelled and the player adds it to his own hand

14. Temperance Hand size is decreased by one.

15. The Devil Count the amount in the pot. Each player in turn, starting with the player on the left of the one who played this card, adds that amount to the pot or folds.

16. The Tower The cards from the flop are replaced with an equal number of new cards. If there is no flop, one is created by placing three cards on the table.

17. The Star Each player can discard one of his open cards and draw a new one, that goes in his hand. Or each player can discard one of the cards in his hand and draw a new one, that is placed open on the table.

18. The Moon Each player, beginning with the one left of the one who played this card, passes one covered card to the player on his left.

19. The Sun Each player, beginning with the one left of the one who played this card, picks one open card from the player to his right.

20. Judgement No further card play. No more betting. Players show their hand, the highest hand wins.

21. The World Each player picks a card in his hand and uncovers it. The player who played this card doesn't have to uncover an extra card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ross
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Armydillo978 wrote:
Would a theme game, such as car racing fall into this definition? Ala Mad Max/Fallout 3 but with playing cards. Or would that be a bit beyond what your thinking of as traditional?
Yep. It'd be fine. From the rules posted above: 14. Your entry may be themed or abstract.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
seandavidross wrote:
Armydillo978 wrote:
Yep. It'd be fine. From the rules posted above: 14. Your entry may be themed or abstract.

Schweeet! Ok, I'll drop a hint then. My inspiration was from Road Warrior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ross
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seandavidross wrote:
cferejohn wrote:
I'll need to go back and see if I can clarify these rules, there seems to be some confusion.
Okay, so I've gone back and rewritten Rule 7.

7. Multiple decks may be combined (in any way you like) or kept separated, whichever you wish. You can have decks with identical card sizes or different card sizes. You can have decks with identical backs or different backs (note exception below). You can have decks with identical fronts or different fronts. You can have decks with the same suits or with different suits. For example, you could combine a French deck with a Latin deck if you like (as has been done with Cripple Mr. Onion).** Exception: If you do choose to mix decks with different suits, you cannot require each deck to have the same size of cards or to share the same card back images, since it may be difficult for people to find, say, a German suited deck and a Swiss suited deck that had the same size cards and/or had the same card backs.

** Note: Rule 7 (above) allows you to design decks with more than 4 suits, so long as the suits and cards used are from the types of standard decks described above.

Does that make things clearer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leistiko
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming that games we've created that meet the specs for the contest, but already exist, are not valid.

Rephrased: A valid game is one that does not already exist, but was created specifically for this contest. No fair recycling games you already have laying around.

Correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ross
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
invisiblejon wrote:
I'm assuming that games we've created that meet the specs for the contest, but already exist, are not valid.

Rephrased: A valid game is one that does not already exist, but was created specifically for this contest. No fair recycling games you already have laying around.

Correct?
Correct. That was the intention of "new and original" in Rule 1, but I suppose it's best to be explicit. Now, I'd certainly be interested in seeing the games people "already have laying around", just preferably not as contest entries.

[EDIT]
On second thought, tell you what: If the rules have not yet been published anywhere (online or otherwise) before the start date of this contest, I will consider them eligible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I'm not sure whether the following qualifies, because I created this game a few years ago. I don't think I ever 'published' it in any form or wrote about it before. It doesn't have a good name either, my girlfriend at that time, with whom I played the game quite a lot, used to call it Marriage because kings and queens are opposing forces in the game, canceling each other out, but personally, I think Kings and Queens is a better name. (However, there already is a game of that name, but that is not a (traditional) card game and it is very obscure.)

Kings and Queens

A trick-taking game for 2 players.

From a standard deck of playing cards, select the cards 2 to 5 and the king and queen from each suit. Shuffle these cards together, discard the rest. Hence, you'll have a deck of only 24 cards.

playing a round

To start a game round, shuffle the cards and deal them in three stacks of 8 cards. The non-dealing player is the starting player. The dealing player and the starting player each get 8 cards, the other 8 cards are not used in this game.

The starting player plays the first card. The other player has to follow suit. If she cannot, she can play any card. The player that played the highest card gets the 'trick', the two cards just played, and puts them face down in front of her.

Card order is normal, except that 2 beats king. A 3 is higher than a 2, a queen is higher than a 5 and a king is higher than a queen. All that is normal, but the 2 is a special card that is lower than every other card, but higher than the king.

The player who got the trick plays the next card and the other player answers. This is continued until all cards are played and are in face down stacks in front of the two players.

scoring

Only kings and queens are worth points. First count the total number of kings and queens in the face down cards held by the two players at the end of a game round. Then divided +12 by the number of kings for the point value of individual king cards, and -12 by the number of queens for the point value of individual queen cards. (What's positive and what's negative does not matter in any way for the game, so if players like that better, they could also count negative points for kings and positive points for queens.)
Hence, if there are 2 kings in the game round and 3 queens (and therefore there are 2 more kings and 1 more queen in the 8 unused cards), then kings are worth +6 points and queens are worth -4 points. Both players count their points. Their scores together are always 0 (or -12 or +12 if there are no kings or no queens in that round, which is quite uncommon).

Now we get to the most important rule:

Before any game round, but after seeing their cards, the players announce how many points they think that they will score in that round. The starting player goes first, the other player next. The two numbers may not add up to zero.

A players score, after a round is played is the absolute difference between her predicted number of points and the number of points actually obtained.

a full game

After a round, write down those absolute differences between prediction and actual points (ignoring minus signs). This number is the round score for a player.

Shuffle all 24 cards back together. The starting player of the previous round is now the dealing player.

Continue playing rounds until the sum of the round scores of one player is or exceeds 50. The player with the lower sum of round scores wins the game. If they tie, which is very uncommon, play one more round to decide the winner.

Well, I guess it should be possible to write the rules a bit more clearly, but I think I covered everything...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
seandavidross wrote:
invisiblejon wrote:

Correct?
Correct. That was the intention. I'd certainly be interested in seeing the games people "already have laying around", but not as contest entries.

Damn, you wrote that while I was typing up my above post. You can ignore it then...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ross
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
Damn, you wrote that while I was typing up my above post. You can ignore it then...
Sorry about that. I've reconsidered my ruling since seeing your post - if this game has never been published anywhere before this contest began, I'll consider it eligible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Appel
United States
Fairchild AFB
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some good entries so far! Will have to compile them once this is finished

-v
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Silverthorn
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Design
Kingsguard

Players:

Equipment: Standard 52-card deck (Jokers optional; see OPTIONAL RULES)

Objective: The objective of Kingsguard is to whittle away at your opponent's defenses until both of his kings are exposed before your opponent does the same to you.

Setup: Each player takes all of the cards of two suits, it does not matter which. They place the kings of each suit face up in front of them. Next, they choose six cards of each suit to guard the king of that suit. For example, if one player has hearts and spades, they choose six hearts cards to guard the king of hearts and six spades cards to guard the king of spades. These cards are staggered in front of their respective king face down like the image below. All of the player's remaining cards are placed in their hand.

Play: Players agree on who goes first in whatever manner they see fit. The starting player chooses a card from their hand and announces which king they are attacking. If the played card is within one rank of the outermost guard, that guard is flipped over and placed in the owner's discard pile face up. If the attacking card is not within one rank, the guard remains. In either case, the attacking card is placed face up in the owner's discard pile. If the attacking player defeats the guard by matching the rank exactly, they may attack again, otherwise, it is the next player's turn.

IMPORTANT: For the purposes of this game, ace is both low and high, and the ranks act as if the king does not exist. Thus, if an ace is guarding, it can be removed by an ace, two, or queen; if a queen is guarding, it can be removed by a jack, queen, or ace.

When a player has played all of their cards, they pick up all of their cards from the discard pile and continue playing. This includes all of the cards they have played, as well as any of their guards that have been eliminated. Thus, as a player's defenses weaken, their offense becomes more versatile.

The winning player is the player who completely eliminates the defenses of BOTH of his opponent's kings first.

OPTIONAL RULES

Extended Play: If the players would like to play several rounds, they may keep score. The score of the winning player is the number of guards he or she has remaining when the opponent's guards have been eliminated. Players would play a pre-set number of rounds, and the highest cumulative score wins.

The Joker: For those who would like a bit of a handicap while playing the game, each player can have one joker card. The joker would automatically eliminate the next guard of the king being attacked. Players could decide to have the joker be used once per game or once per discard round.

STRATEGY

Pay Attention!
By observing what your opponent is playing, you can narrow down what cards you should be playing. If your opponent plays a card, it can't be guarding his king!

Select Guards Carefully! You want to be careful how you select your guards. While selecting cards close to each other in rank can limit how easily your opponent can crack your defenses, it also limits your offensive range!

-------

This is my first ever game design, so I'm really interested to know what people think. Suggestions are welcome (although, those should probably be given at the close of the contest to ensure fairness). Be honest; you won't hurt my feelings. I'm very aware that I'm merely an amateur, but I'm always willing to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.