Arkham Horror: Kingsport Horror Expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: What Happens to the Monster? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
When a rift opens and a monster appears on it, does the monster continue to move with the rift?

As a wrote this, it dawned on me that they would usually have a different dimensional symbol, so that they would move independently.

Correct?

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
They move independently. But rifts move first before they spawn monsters. So the monsters they spawn won't be moved this turn. The monster and rift may move together on future turns if their symbol matches or is in the same box on the Mythos card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith M. Sandler
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So it sounds like the Rifts themselves are affected by the Mythos card's monster symbol, but since the act of spawning a monster is part of their "movement," the monsters that are Rift-spawned are not subject to the Mythos card's original monster symbol, being a "subset/phase" of the monster movement phase. Do I have that right?

Sorry, but this has been bugging me for a while; though I haven't been playing KH, this is one of those nagging mechanics that, since reading it, has kept me up nights.

This... and the dreams...

BTW: Brian, thanks for all of your fantastic posts on all of the AH forums here on the geek. You're always quick with a thorough and respectful answer to most questions, and you don't get enough credit for "mod'ing" these threads. Although, I suspect it's a labour of love...

Here's Cthul' ya! (Wow... that was bad...)

--kMs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Dark Son wrote:
You're always quick with a thorough and respectful answer to most questions, and you don't get enough credit for "mod'ing" these threads.

I must try harder on the rest!

Dark Son wrote:
So it sounds like the Rifts themselves are affected by the Mythos card's monster symbol, but since the act of spawning a monster is part of their "movement," the monsters that are Rift-spawned are not subject to the Mythos card's original monster symbol, being a "subset/phase" of the monster movement phase. Do I have that right?

Yes that is right. Movement of monsters during the Mythos phase, and subsequently the Open Rifts, are meant to be simultaneous. Since that resolution is impractical, first player can decide the order in which they move.

Rifts must first move and then spawn monsters. Since spawned monsterscome out after the movement, they are not subject to movement this turn. Much like monsters brought forth from the special text of Mythos cards since it is past the movement phase. Again, for practical purposes, you willmove rift, spawn monster, move rift, spawn monster, if more than one rift is open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.