Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know of a good solitaire variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's really not much of a need for one - just play both sides to the best of your ability. ToI has basically no hidden information except for the occasional hidden units in some scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isn't that kind of hard to play fairly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would only be cheating yourself! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bassman211 wrote:
isn't that kind of hard to play fairly?

Not at all. I play both sides to win, and don't treat either side as MINE. For me it's all about fun rather than winning. If you enjoy yourself, you win
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i guess i will try playing both sides equally, any advice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually working on the Solitaire Tide of Iron (STOI)-version, based on the S(olitaire)ASL-version. A lot of work, but if it works out I'll keep you informed.
Maybe some other BGGeeker has worked out ideas as well?

Jan Colpaert

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish you good luck on your solitaire variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx. I'll need it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Young
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
neo.colpaert wrote:
I'm actually working on the Solitaire Tide of Iron (STOI)-version, based on the S(olitaire)ASL-version. A lot of work, but if it works out I'll keep you informed.
Maybe some other BGGeeker has worked out ideas as well?

Jan Colpaert

:ninja:

I'd be interested in any progress on this project of yours myself Jan, any progress yet?

Cheers

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tom,

I've written out quite some stuff. I've worked out a "random map generator" (including special tiles and objective markers), a placement and deployment system using the "S?"-counters from my SASL-box, an "activation system" that converts those S?-counters in units, a "move & shoot-matrix" for those converted units and of course EVENT-tables (based on the nationality-event tables from SASL). I can assure you that I spent lots of time working out those tables.
I made as well my own letter-chits that have to be drawn for placement and so on.
I'm now trying to make a kind of Word-file for the rules and Event-tables and then I have to do a lot of play-testing.

As soon as I've done this, I can send you by email the mentioned Word-file and 2 JPEG's, the scanned S?-counters and the letter-chits.

Best rgds,

Jan Colpaert

p.s. : 2 files I can recommend you on BGG are TOI Random Scenario Rules and TOI Point buy system

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
p.s. 2 : due to the "Kids, Wife and Work"-thing you have to give me some time, please!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Young
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks jan thats very kind of you to do, no worries about the time, I'm playing my first solo game right now, At the Breaking Point, interesting so far!!

Cheers

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
neo.colpaert wrote:
p.s. 2 : due to the "Kids, Wife and Work"-thing you have to give me some time, please!

I can give you until monday! devil
I expect to recieved my game there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
any progress on the solitaire variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Nick,

Right now I'm working in my limited "free time" on some kind of conversion of Warhammer 40k & Fantasy towards Heroscape. It's a thread on BGG that inspired me, and my eldest son is very eager on playing it this way.
Project STOI however is not dead and I hope to have it completely finished between this and (I don't want to make promises I can't keep) the end of the year.
The only thing I still want to know is how to put my JPEG- and WORD-files on BGG? Can anyone help me out on this, please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clive holland
Thailand
wang nam khieo
nakhon ratchasima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jan,

I have read your post with interest as I came here looking for scenarios for solo playing.

I am not trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs, but instead of trying to build a whole new game would it not have been easier and less time consuming just to create a few scenarios especially for solo playing. Perhaps before you complete your mammoth task you maybe interested in doing a couple of such scenarios especially aimed at solo playing?

My idea of this would be defend an objective. The defender has all squads predefined and placed in their respective hexes. Strategy and reinforcement cards are also predefined and given to the defender at a pre determined time. So everything the defender does is planned out in advance. They don't move unless it is already in the scenario. The attacker tries to take the objective

Maybe a bit simple, but with players of experience I am sure they could come up with more detailed and complex scenarios.

What do you and others think?

Dutchy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dutchy124 wrote:
Hi Jan,

I have read your post with interest as I came here looking for scenarios for solo playing.

I am not trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs, but instead of trying to build a whole new game would it not have been easier and less time consuming just to create a few scenarios especially for solo playing. Perhaps before you complete your mammoth task you maybe interested in doing a couple of such scenarios especially aimed at solo playing?

My idea of this would be defend an objective. The defender has all squads predefined and placed in their respective hexes. Strategy and reinforcement cards are also predefined and given to the defender at a pre determined time. So everything the defender does is planned out in advance. They don't move unless it is already in the scenario. The attacker tries to take the objective

Maybe a bit simple, but with players of experience I am sure they could come up with more detailed and complex scenarios.

What do you and others think?

Dutchy

It's indeed a mammoth task, Dutchy, and I think I underestimated a bit the impact of what I'm trying to realize, but I still believe in this system.
It's always possible to play wargames by yourself, playing both parties for the best. I've done it several times. Everytime however you have this "rotten" feeling that you try to avoid certain moves or actions, just because you simply know where the enemy is. In Ancient (until Napoleonic) warfare, this problem doesn't exist because it was a very STATIC kind of warfare.
In Modern warfare (and wargaming) however the FOG OF WAR-factor is very high. To simulate this in a solo wargaming experience, you need some kind of "unknown" enemy force that moves and fight in an "unknown" and hidden kind of way.
I'm very curious what the next expansion of Conflict of Heroes (first men in Normandy 1944) will offer. I've read that there will be created special solitaire scenarios. Maybe this could help you and me (and others) in finding a better way to adapt wargames towards solitaire play.

Take care,

Jan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clive holland
Thailand
wang nam khieo
nakhon ratchasima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jan,

thanks for the reply.

I have just set up ''Rescue Mission'' from Desert Fox, but I am still playing with the set up, as each time I look again I can see faults so in order to be fair to both sides I change things, not sure I will ever get this started. lol.

I had a chat with ''Rayguns'' from here this morning and he suggested that scenarios from the solo board game ''Ambush'' may be of help.He says they can be quite easily adapted to TOI. Anyone got this game? Out of print now I am told.

Dutchy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dutchy124 wrote:
Hi Jan,

thanks for the reply.

I have just set up ''Rescue Mission'' from Desert Fox, but I am still playing with the set up, as each time I look again I can see faults so in order to be fair to both sides I change things, not sure I will ever get this started. lol.

I had a chat with ''Rayguns'' from here this morning and he suggested that scenarios from the solo board game ''Ambush'' may be of help.He says they can be quite easily adapted to TOI. Anyone got this game? Out of print now I am told.

Dutchy

I think this game uses some kind of event-triggering system. You move into a new hex and you trigger an event that has to be looked up in a paragraph-booklet. But once you've played this game, it's not very replayable (because you already know which events will be triggered). Have to check if it works on TOI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ambush system might not work well. However, I was checking to see if anyone has found any ideas for a solitaire version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.