Crokinole» Forums » General

Subject: The outer rail rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David
Iceland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could somebody tell me the hight of the outer rail???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not tall enough to stop you from taking one in the tooth.or eye. I can tell you that from experience.

At it's higher levels Crokinole is an incerdibly deadly sport.arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
Phlegm wrote:
Not tall enough to stop you from taking one in the tooth.or eye. I can tell you that from experience.

At it's higher levels Crokinole is an incerdibly deadly sport.arrrh

It is a "sport" and not so much of a table "game", it falls into the same category as billiards and darts. A carrom/target sport.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

An Hilinski rail is two inches high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paulmond wrote:

An Hilinski rail is two inches high.

On the outside The thickness of the base board could change the overall height. My Hilikski rail is about 1" taller than the ditch and 1/2" taller than the deck/board surface - 1.5" total measured on the outside.

Note that Hilinski STARTS with a 2" rail, but sands it down.
http://www.hilinski.net/woodgames/howto/howto8.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Zelller
Germany
Schramberg
Baden-W├╝rttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tatsu wrote:
My Hilikski rail is about 1" taller than the ditch and 1/2" taller than the deck/board surface - 1.5" total measured on the outside.

Note that Hilinski STARTS with a 2" rail, but sands it down.

I don't think he started your rail with 2". Try to sand down 0,5" from 4 foot length of rail and you will see what I mean... And a half inch above deck level seems pretty low, especially if you round the edges.

Anyway, I guess 0,6" to 0,9" above deck level is working well. So overall height would be:

Base board thickness + deck thickness + (0,6"-0,9") + sanding headroom.

So in the end I would just add 0,9" to the thickness of the boards and after sanding the height should be fine.

Edit: after building my own boards and making several experiments with the height of the rail, I found that 0,6" is the best compromise for me between a low profile rail and discs not going over the rail. So in the future if I will build another board, I will start out with 0,75" + board thickness.

bye
Wolfgang
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sisk
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
According to this page, they use a piece of oak which is nominally 1" x 2", but which has a finished size of .75" x 1.5".

It's curious to see that the Hilinski's later state that their cut rail pieces are 1/8" x 2", but I'm certain (if they start with a 1 x 2) it's really 1.5".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.