10 Posts

Advanced Squad Leader» Forums » Rules

Subject: Concealment loss rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I'm taking the step from ASLSK's to the full rules and this one has me stumped.

In the advance phase, can a concealed squad advance into a non-open ground hex, in LOS of good order enemy with out loosing concealment?

My confusion comes from the concealment loss/gain table. Case A says yes for using non-assault movement while case B says no because I didn't advance into an open ground hex.

Please help because ASL has gotten into my brain and I can't face the world while obsessing over this!! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lesulm1 wrote:
In the advance phase, can a concealed squad advance into a non-open ground hex, in LOS of good order enemy with out loosing concealment?

Yes.

Quote:
My confusion comes from the concealment loss/gain table. Case A says yes for using non-assault movement while case B says no because I didn't advance into an open ground hex.

I'm not certain you're reading the chart correctly. You're asking whether ? is lost. So you're looking at the red values in the Infantry row. So if the Infantry does any of A, B, C, or D they lose concealment. You're not using non-assault movement (that's only in the MPh, not the APh), so A is OK. You're not advancing into OG, so B is OK. C and D are irrelevant. So you're good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Thank you good sir. Yet one more step toward learning this game. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lesulm1 wrote:
Thank you good sir. Yet one more step toward learning this game. laugh

Yeah, take note that MOVING is not the same as ADVANCING.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Rindu wrote:

Yeah, take note that MOVING is not the same as ADVANCING.

That's what was messing me up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Graham
Canada
flag msg tools
I always thought you had to Assault Move in order to keep your concealment. I figured there was a difference between Advance and Assault move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also usually assault move into a non-open ground hex without losing concealment.

Note that if you advance into terrain that could not have assault moved into (for example, terrain that takes more than 3MP for a squad without a leader) you will lose concealment too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mummykitty wrote:
You can also usually assault move into a non-open ground hex without losing concealment.

Note that if you advance into terrain that could not have assault moved into (for example, terrain that takes more than 3MP for a squad without a leader) you will lose concealment too.

Or into a space that takes three MPs and you're green/conscript, you lose it. Basically, if it takes your normal full MP to move into a space (not advance) then you lose concealment.

One trick on the defense is to alternate a guy moving forward and backwards during your MPh/AdvPh, so the enemy doesn't get a shot at him during DfPh. This is called "skulking". To elaborate this, have two units to do this. One moves back and gains concealment, while the other one, which gained concealment last round, moves forward during AdvPh to start the dance again.

Remember that this is a maneuver game more than a fire game...I know. I know. You don't believe me, but you will...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Story
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
Be sure you've got the definition of Open Ground fully understood as well. If you Assault Move/Advance into an Open Ground hex, and if all enemies that are in LOS would be subject to some type of hindrance, height advantage, etc., modifier, then you are not considered to be in OG for concealment loss purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yellow_Lab wrote:
I always thought you had to Assault Move in order to keep your concealment. I figured there was a difference between Advance and Assault move.
There is a clear difference :
- Advance occurs during the Advance Phase
- Assault Move occurs during the Movement Phase

So, advancing in concealment terrain during APh, even if you spend MF that would not allow Assault Move during MPh, does not make you loose concealment.
Even an Advance into Difficult terrain (which puts your Infantry under CX) will not make you loose concealment, if the terrain is concealed.

Note, too, that you can advance into concealment terrain, into a Location occupied by an enemy unit, without loosing concealment : this helps a lot for ambush (-2 drm)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.