Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Tubman
United States
CLINTON
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the original Ticket to Ride with the 1910 expansion. My wife really likes it, and so I decided I would get us one of the 2-3 player maps. I decided on getting Nordic Countries over Switzerland. This past weekend we played it for the first time. After 5 games in which my wife was unable to break 100 points, including one in which she gave up half way through the game, she has sworn that she will not play it ever again. She got frustrated at getting cut off and not being able to complete tickets. One game we were both trying to build the northern blue route and I got there first. She had two tickets worth 20+ points that she was not able to complete.

My question is how well would the stations in TtR: Europe work in Nordic Countries? Maybe not all three but just one? I have not played Europe so I don't know how well these work.

I know this will kind of defeats the purpose of the map, but I am afraid my wife won't play it again unless I find a way to cut back on the confrontations in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Should work just fine. You just plop one down in a city that you were otherwise unable to reach (or two or three in a row if you really got cut off).

Should definitely lighten the tone at the table a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Brousseau
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dawgfish wrote:
My question is how well would the stations in TtR: Europe work in Nordic Countries? Maybe not all three but just one? I have not played Europe so I don't know how well these work.

Stations should work fine. You can also play with double routes open I guess (useful to get to Narvik?). Switzerland is not as cutthroat either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Morris
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
This size viola da gamba is like a cello with frets. I started playing at age 48.
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't play the game without them. Since there are so few northbound routes (mostly starting in the south of the board), it's too easy for a player without one to place trains on any track above the Arctic Circle, cutting off several of them at once. The stations mitigate this problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the worst screwage in the 3 around torino. I have seen on several games someone plunk down a car on one of the routs either to be a dick or to complete tickets and they in turn block others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I am thinking of using the stations as well. However, I am going to add an additional rule that tickets completed using a station will not count towards the 10 point bonus for the most destination tickets completed.

Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Brousseau
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bobm174 wrote:
I am thinking of using the stations as well. However, I am going to add an additional rule that tickets completed using a station will not count towards the 10 point bonus for the most destination tickets completed.

Good point -- definitely a good adaptation of the TTR:E station rule vs. the bonus over there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
My wife and I tried it with stations today. It significantly reduces the stress involved, back down to a fun level of annoyance when you get blocked, rather than a rage-inducing level. It's an inconvenience; when you have to use a station you know you're at a disadvantage, but you don't have to spend the entire game suspecting you're completely screwed due to a bad start.

I decided to add a Longest Route bonus as well, just to give us a reason to at least try to avoid using the stations. That seems to work out nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. St
msg tools
I love all the people who don't like tight maps but buy Nordic, Switzerland/India, and Africa because... uh... it looks nice? I really think you should have invested in Europe or Marklin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.