New World: A Carcassonne Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Surveyor questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel B
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
There are a couple of questions that seem to have gone unanswered in the rules.

1) What happens when both of the surveyors are on the westernmost tile when someone completes a feature and scores? Do the surveyors stay put, or is there some way to keep track of how much farther they are than the pieces?

2) What happens when multiple features are completed & scored during the same turn? Does the player move surveyors multiple times? (E.g. we complete a road, town and farm, does this result in one move, or three?)

Thanks for your feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djburk wrote:
There are a couple of questions that seem to have gone unanswered in the rules.

1) What happens when both of the surveyors are on the westernmost tile when someone completes a feature and scores? Do the surveyors stay put, or is there some way to keep track of how much farther they are than the pieces?

2) What happens when multiple features are completed & scored during the same turn? Does the player move surveyors multiple times? (E.g. we complete a road, town and farm, does this result in one move, or three?)

Thanks for your feedback!

1. The surveyors stay put if they have nowhere to go. No meeples are removed from the board.

2. I believe the surveyors wouldn't move more than once in a single turn. If single tile finishes, say, a road and city both, I can't see the surveyor moving twice. Perhaps someone can confirm this with something official as my rulebook is far away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moffett
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
#2: The person who played the tile that scores any meeples gets to choose the order in which the features are scored and yes, the surveyor is moved for each feature scored.

I believe these are actually both covered in the rules but in a rather indirect fashion.

*EDIT*
For more information, get the game down and consult the second rule sheet, the one with the tile manifest on the back, it says "Example for movement and scoring of surveyors:" the second example and picture correspond to your question. Blue plays a tile and completes three features, chooses the order they are scored and moves the surveyor for each scoring.

You can always create a house rule, if you don't like this, to make it so your surveyor can only ever be moved ONCE per turn, but I find this to be an especially devious and useful tactic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I W
msg tools
mb
Imho Surveyors need more rules... It's fairly easy to slow down or completely stop the Sruveyor from moving by
a) blocking the tile in front of them or
b) (at the beginning of the game) placing both or one of them on the northernmost and/or souhernmost board tiles as those tend to develop slowly.

If i block the advancement of the Surveyors for the rest of the game, the game turns into an extremely blocking game which is sad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asuuucar wrote:
Imho Surveyors need more rules... It's fairly easy to slow down or completely stop the Sruveyor from moving by
a) blocking the tile in front of them or
b) (at the beginning of the game) placing both or one of them on the northernmost and/or souhernmost board tiles as those tend to develop slowly.

If i block the advancement of the Surveyors for the rest of the game, the game turns into an extremely blocking game which is sad.

That isn't the way we play it. The Surveyor can occupy the same tile with another surveyor, and also may occupy it with a Settler as well.

Also, the surveyors do not have to move straight across, it can move to "any" vertical row.

(at least, this is how I understand what your saying...)

Example: the X marks Tiles and the S are the Surveyors. You can move the lower Surveyor over to the left ONE tile, but you just need to move him DOWN one tile. (The 0 means OPEN SPACE as the message won't "see" the blank areas.)

XX
SX
0SX
XXX
XXX
00X
XXX

This Surveyor to the east can move to the left by joining his mate in the TOP most column. Then, after those two occupy the same tile, they do NOT move west until more tiles are placed west of the Surveyors tile.

0XX
SX
0SX
0XX
0XX
00X
0XX

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.