Sam DiRocco
United States
North Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Amateur Extra Class Ham radio Operator -- W8SDD
mbmbmbmbmb
We have been playing 40K for the past 10+ years. We took about a 2 year break but, broke out the armies last weekend. We have been playing since 2nd edition and we are now playing 4th edition rules, and absolutely refuse to upgrade to 5th edition. Anyway, while playing this weekend we got to talking and everyone felt the rules were just too clunky. We would like to try a rule set that flows more easily while being able to continue using our 40K armies. The whole rolling 42 D6 for a squad to attack just became a task of futility and dread. Is there a set of rules that can be easily converted?

edit: Spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not delved into scifi wargaming for many years, but a site I do look at for other genres that would be worth investigating is-

http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/

Specifically-

http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/index.php?page=sci-fi

You can cross reference the rule sets there with the BGG here, to find out people's reviews of the games.

[edit]
Actually a quick scan of that list reveals one of immediate interest-
http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/Rules/Science_Fiction/dm/...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Stargrunt II is my ruleset of choice for sci fi minis. It is now available as a PDF. The link is available at the BGG entry for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam DiRocco
United States
North Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Amateur Extra Class Ham radio Operator -- W8SDD
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Guys. Downloaded about 4 sets of rules to read through!!

Dark Millennium and ARMs look interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondior wrote:
We have been playing 40K for the past 10+ years. We took about a 2 year break but, broke out the armies last weekend. We have been playing since 2nd edition and we are now playing 4th edition rules, and absolutely refuse to upgrade to 5th edition. Anyway, while playing this weekend we got to talking and everyone felt the rules were just too clunky. We would like to try a rule set that flows more easily while being able to continue using our 40K armies. The whole rolling 42 D6 for a squad to attack just became a task of futility and dread. Is there a set of rules that can be easily converted?

edit: Spelling

We are quite the opposites! I love rolling 40 dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I been recommended 5150 for an replacement to 40K.

BBG entree;
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/26855

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't plaed it so I'm not sure if it'll be 100% compatible but the Starship Troopers game uses a similar scale and I think has a fairly good rules system.

Personally I think the 5th edition of 40K is the best one yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would look at Defiance or Fast and Dirty. They both have good army builders. Defiance is more detailed; complex but not complicated.

I am sort of in the same boat as you. I am also trying to go to smaller scale figures to save on time, space and money.

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mars
United States
Suisun City
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer-attack wrote:

Personally I think the 5th edition of 40K is the best one yet.

I agree... 5th edition is more streamlined and intuitive than 4th. You should atleast give it a look-see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Boyo
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
5150 Mate...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.