Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Elemental Rift» Forums » General

Subject: Tell me some more... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the reviews and comments... some say chaotic.. in what way?

Is it random? Is it too luck dependent?

Does skill generally determine the winner, with some randomness sometimes turning it, kinda like Blue Moon?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
I've read the reviews and comments... some say chaotic.. in what way?

Is it random? Is it too luck dependent?

Does skill generally determine the winner, with some randomness sometimes turning it, kinda like Blue Moon?


I would have to say that I don't think skill has much to do with this game at all. Maybe a little, but it's very very random. And in my opinion that is what makes it a blast to play. You can finish a game very quickly if both players know the rules and gameplay and that means that you can't really feel too bad about losing. Just play again. Edit: Maybe I just haven't played enough yet though...

Part of what I enjoy is watching the "board" change immensely on your opponent's turn. Then you have to sit and figure out how to make that work for you. But the best part is, you're doing it right back to your opponent as well.

Anyhow, if you're looking to get it and you get really frustrated by and angry hate angry luck based games, then this will be too chaotic and random for you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As a two player game, it has just enough random chaos to make it a fun, enjoyable game. With three or four players, you just cannot depend on anything ahead of your turn. I much prefer this game for two players and absolutely have a blast whenever I can get it to the table.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lubomirvaic wrote:
As a two player game, it has just enough random chaos to make it a fun, enjoyable game. With three or four players, you just cannot depend on anything ahead of your turn. I much prefer this game for two players and absolutely have a blast whenever I can get it to the table.


I also should have stated that I have only played this 2 player.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be more interested in it as a 2 player game. Everyone keeps saying it is a brain burner, etc... but that seems at odds with the chaos/random factor that people also keep talking about.

I'm also looking at his other game, Dirge, which supposedly has little luck and mostly skill.. is this correct on that game? Any thoughts about it while I am here?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
I would be more interested in it as a 2 player game. Everyone keeps saying it is a brain burner, etc... but that seems at odds with the chaos/random factor that people also keep talking about.

I'm also looking at his other game, Dirge, which supposedly has little luck and mostly skill.. is this correct on that game? Any thoughts about it while I am here?


I don't see the "brainburner" part, but again, maybe I just don't get it (It's happened before). My friend and I played it for what we thought it was: a light, totally chaotic little card and tile game. I personally would say it's worth the price of admission.

If you're looking for a judgment between this and Dirge, I can't be of any help. I've only read the rules for Dirge. Seems good, but I have too many games as it is... If you had to choose just one? Dunno, I'd go for This one because I like the theme better.

Hope that helps
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.