Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic has become a game that my entire family enjoys. My wife and I often play it 2 player but occasionally our two children, ages 6 & 7, join in. The game works well with the children as we play with open hands and discuss our moves. Originally, we coached the kids towards better plays but lately the children often come up with good moves on their own, so we limit our suggestions to times when the children actively seek advice.

We play with 5 epidemics when the children are involved. My 7 year old son really prefers to be the medic and this is a role he can play well, so we dispense with drawing and give him that role. My daughter prefers a random role, so the rest of us draw. In this game, I got the Operations Manager, my wife got the Scientist, and my daughter got the dispatcher.

The initial set up had no real hot spots as the infected cities were well dispersed. The medic cleaned up some blue then headed to the orient. I tried to set up research center around the globe to make travel easier when the scientist headed to South America to deal with the spreading Yellow Fever. The dispatcher, remained in the US, directing travel.

The medic got five yellow cards on his own and he was able to cure within a few turns of the start of the game. The dispatcher then moved him down to South America where we were able to eradicate the disease. The medic also got a few blue cards and a couple of trades in Europe later, was able to cure blue as well.

We were entering the mid game in pretty good shape. Red and Black started to expand but we still had only a couple of outbreaks. We had some difficulty trading cards as the scientist kept drawing a bad mix of unneeded cards and special action cards.

We finally cured Red, but the draw deck was getting very low. The scientist had 3 black cards and only needed one more for the win. I built a research center in Istanbul to give us a place to cure. My daughter, the dispatcher, had the Istanbul card so we could win the game on my wife's turn. Unfortunately, my daughter drew the last two cards. "We lost", said my wife. "Wait", I said, I don't think the game ends until a player is unable to draw cards. A quick check of the rulebook proved that I remembered correctly. My wife move to Istanbul, received the card from my daughter and cured black on the last turn for the win.

We were all happy that we won a game we thought we were going to lose. The children played well; my son, didn't receive any advice on his play while my daughter only needed help a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one game where the smallest rules details make or break the game... more often than not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Lange
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, did your wife receive the Istanbul card on her turn? You can only give away cards during your turn, not receive any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skrynkelberg wrote:
You can only give away cards during your turn, not receive any.

Nope. Read your ref card. Share knowledge = pass a card from one player to another. That's give or receive, whatever direction you want (assuming both in the same city of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Skrynkelberg wrote:
You can only give away cards during your turn, not receive any.

Nope. Read your ref card. Share knowledge = pass a card from one player to another. That's give or receive, whatever direction you want (assuming both in the same city of course).

Steven is correct. Perhaps you are thinking of the Researcher's special action. The Researcher can only give a card not matching the city, not receive one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Lange
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh. We have been playing it wrong then. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the heads up. :)

Our following games will probably be a lot easier than the ones before thanks to this. :p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moisés Solé
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Can't get any closer than that. I love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.