Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I was going to buy OverText but I didn't know what to say with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have recently read Antony Beevor's "The Battle for Spain" because I knew nothing about the Spanish Civil War. I knew a little about Stalingrad, so I increased that knowledge reading his "Stalingrad". I don't know much at all about the last few months of WWII, so I am now reading "The Fall of Berlin 1945". Now I've heard of another book by Beevor and I'm looking for feedback before committing my precious book bucks.

Has anyone read A Writer at War: Vasily Grossman with the Red Army, 1941-1945 by Anthony Beevor and Luba Vinogradova - based on Grossman's notebooks, war diaries, personal correspondence and articles? I have been wondering if this one is also worth picking up.

Thanks in advance if anyone answers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If he writes it, I say read it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Writer at War: Vasily Grossman with the Red Army, 1941-1945 is very interesting, though be aware that it is highlights from a notebook. Beevor did a good job stitching the materials together into an interesting narrative and giving them background context. In other words it is not really a focused narrative like Beevor's other books.

What really makes the notebook writings interesting is reading Vasily Grossman's epic novel Life and Fate after reading his notebooks. You can catch glimpses of his own war experiences in Life and Fate. I have only read part of Life and Fate, and it's a typical Russian novel with tons of characters and to be honest a bit of a slow pace, but it is richly written and full of terriffic scenes. I plan to finish it some day soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Daniels
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargamer204 wrote:
If he writes it, I say read it!:D

I'd completely agree. That and most of John Keegan's stuff as well (I really didn't like 'Mask of Command'). But pretty much anything by these two is necessary reading IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Borg
Sweden
Lund
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like everyone else (I think) I really liked Stalingrad. However, I didn't like "Crete - the Battle and the Resistance" very much and wouldn't recommend it.

How did you like "The Battle for Spain"?

Fredrik.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll chime in and say battle for spain is excellent, I don't know how Kai found it though. I also really like Berlin, although it was incredibly depressing, mind you pretty much all war books are for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Grossman diary is a great read - an intellectuals expeiernce of the great patriotic war. If i could recommend another English writer then Max Hasting's Nemesis : The Battle for Japan 1944-45 is another great read - reminds ome me of Beevor in style and scope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
His new one has recently been released:-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pitferret wrote:

A Writer at War: Vasily Grossman with the Red Army, 1941-1945 by Anthony Beevor and Luba Vinogradova

Haven't heard of this one but as others have said as Beevor has had his hand in this, it must be a buy. All his previous books I have considered excellent, although "Crete - The Battle and the Resistance" didn't hold me as much as the others (I think it was for me just the arena - but still an interesting read).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Holmes
United Kingdom
Shipley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently reading his new book 'D-Day' which has just been released in th UK. Like, 'Stalingrad' and 'Berlin' he's done some original research and gives a balanced view of the Normandy campaign from both the allied and axis sides.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some reviews on Amazon UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/1845950151/ref=sr_1_...

which in the main are very positive....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias D
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't like Crete, and I couldn't wrap my head around Spain (I'm completely without knowledge about all things regarding the Spanish Civil War, and had great trouble keeping the names apart, so it all turned into a mess for me blush ). However, Stalingrad and Berlin were excellent.

A Writer at War is also good, but I think Beevor here more had a role as an editor, and not a writer. Even so, it's a great read. Grossman's report from one of the concentration camps is probably the best, and without argument the most gripping, part of the book.

D-Day is getting ordered this summer, for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! Thanks, guys! That was the answer I was hoping for.

I found the Spain book to be very interesting, as I knew next to nothing on the topic. Before diving into the book, I went online to do a little quick reading and made a cheatsheet of sorts with the important names and the various factions so I could keep everything straight in my head. I had to refer to it ALOT off the start, but after a while I think I figured out the who's who and all.

I will eventually pick up the new D-Day book, too. But as the gaming focus in the house is East Front at the moment, the Grossman book holds more immediate appeal.

The Berlin book is very dark/grim, but I am fascinated reading it. Even though it covers the military aspects I am looking for, it is Beevor's treatment of the human drama on a personal level that always draws me in. The trauma and horror experienced by the Soviet and Eastern European civilians as these two titanic armies swept over them and back again is depressing to say the least. And Beevor doesn't gloss over the ugly parts. He presents a side of the war not often touched on in documentaries or other books I have read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to mention "Stalingrad" again.........if you are an East Front gamer "Stalingrad" is an absolute must read. Even if you find historical books boring and hard to get through......Beevor's book on the topic is outstanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad pointed out to me that I have already read "Stalingrad". It's on the shelf with the other reference books. Guess it's time for a re-read if I can't recall having waded through it the first time. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw your comments on CSW before I saw the thread here. Thanks for bringing it up, I am looking forward to acquiring his books and reading them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read Stalingrad last winter, bad timing on my part

it was

A: Depressing , and..
B: Colder here than it was in some of the chapters in the book!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you enjoy the style of history that Beevor tends to write and are looking for a good book about Stalingrad then "Enemy at the Gates" is worth reading (don't be discouraged by the movie). Overall I thought it was a better read. Beevor's book might benefit from more up to date research but the writing doesn't compare. I can't think of any outstanding titles that cover the final stage of the war (only stuff by people like hastings). Maybe Beevor is the best choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you enjoy the style of history that Beevor tends to write and are looking for a good book about Stalingrad then "Enemy at the Gates" is worth reading (don't be discouraged by the movie).

I second the opinion, though I do actually like the movie. After you read the book, you can find out all the errors the movie makes! Hollywood!shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dude163 wrote:

B: Colder here than it was in some of the chapters in the book!

That may be the case but did you have to sleep in a hole in the ground.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.