Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart Pitts
New Zealand
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've always played the optional rule that you have to hit the picture of the plane and not just the card. But I see in the official miniature rules that this optional rule has been removed.

This makes sense since it would be a lot harder to judge those close calls where the target plane is right on the edge of the firing arc (and it is surprising how many of these there tend to be) if the ruler is in the air - the same goes for shots right on the range limit.

I really like the idea of firing at the model/picture and it would be disappointing to have to re-introduce that little bit of abstraction by shooting at the base.

Does anyone play 'shoot the model', and if so how well does it work for you?

I'm guessing that in a relaxed atmosphere with friends you could probably get away with it, but in a more competitive environment it would be problematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I left it to players instead than keep a rule similar to the one about card drawings also because differences in size are far more relevant on models than on drawings. With models, it would be far easier to have a two-seater that's hit and that can not hit back. Taking the range from the machineguns instead than from the center of the base can help, but then there will be problems in judging the arc of fire - at least if you are not in a friendly setting, that's always adviced for a relaxed gaming experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Pitts
New Zealand
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just seen the big problem with this idea, the models are significantly larger than the drawings on the cards - the image here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/482501 really brings that home.

What scale are the drawings on the cards or does this vary from plane to plane (would probably have to).

Maybe shooting at the base is the best option after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They vary in a kind of "pseudo-logarytmic" scale. Larger planes are more reduced that smaller ones. On a game that was designed as "shoot at the card", it seemed better to have a Nieuport Bebé somehow larger and more visible than if it was in the same scale of the DH4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When we've played this with the miniatures our rule is you have to hit the pegs of the stand (center of mass).

If someone is a hair away it is a judgement call... meaning the children and wives always hit and the men have to take another turn to re-manuever... Interesting how that seems to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.