13 Posts

Steam» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2 unclear rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oscar Zwerver
msg tools
I noticed some unclear rules in the Standard game:

- In the order of play phase when somebody has to pay the bid he did on the auction but the player discovers he can't pay the bid and the auction is already closed.... what happens then?
Should the player be punished and be put last in line in the order cue?

- Income & expenses phase . If at any time you are $2 short you are pushed back one space on the victory track. But what if you are only $1 short?

How to deal with these situations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - Don't bid more than you can afford. The rulebook says something like "You cannot bid more than you have available in cash" to cover this situation.

2 - You go back as if you needed $2, but you get the "left over" $1 back from the Bank. The rulebook says something like "If your expenses paid in this fashion are an odd value, you receive the $1 in change" to cover this situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook contains *precisely* those two phrases. What is unclear about them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Holmes
United Kingdom
Shipley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smutminer wrote:

- In the order of play phase when somebody has to pay the bid he did on the auction but the player discovers he can't pay the bid and the auction is already closed.... what happens then?
Should the player be punished and be put last in line in the order cue?

I don't have the rules in front of me but I think the player would have to be pushed back one space on the income track for every $2 short. This, in itself, will be quite a punishment.

smutminer wrote:

- Income & expenses phase . If at any time you are $2 short you are pushed back one space on the victory track. But what if you are only $1 short?

You move back one space and receive $1. I think this is said explicitly in the rules.

Cheers ... Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Zwerver
msg tools
RDewsbery wrote:
1 - Don't bid more than you can afford. The rulebook says something like "You cannot bid more than you have available in cash" to cover this situation.

The problem is that in the most ideal situation the bid is always verified with the cash amount available. But what if the player has forgotten to do this (in the heat of auctioning)?

RDewsbery wrote:

2 - You go back as if you needed $2, but you get the "left over" $1 back from the Bank. The rulebook says something like "If your expenses paid in this fashion are an odd value, you receive the $1 in change" to cover this situation.

OK clear, in the manual it looked like the payback of 1$ only refered to the incometrack and not to the victory track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Welc
Poland
Wrocław (Vratislavia)
Lower Silesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smutminer wrote:
The problem is that in the most ideal situation the bid is always verified with the cash amount available. But what if the player has forgotten to do this (in the heat of auctioning)?

What would you do in any other game when a player performs an illegal move?

It has nothing to clarity of Steam rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Wood
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smutminer wrote:

Money is supposed to be open information and should be visible to all. In any auction with open money all the players are usually looking to see what everyone else's buying power is. Did the guy have his money hidden? I'm just not sure how this could have gotten by without someone saying, "Hey, you can't outbid me!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
smutminer wrote:

Stop playing with that person. He is too stupid to comprehend this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boote
United Kingdom
Virginia Water
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Genuine mistake? I'd make 'em sacrifice victory and/or income points to pay for the oversight - e.g. bids 3 too much? lose three income, or three VP or two of one and one of the other
Second time they do it? Bankruptcy & out of the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide FLR
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
1) If she can't pay for the bid, she shouldn't do it. Otherwise her bid is voided.

2) you'll receive $1 in change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Stop playing with that person. He is too stupid to comprehend this game.

Are you kidding? This would immedietally eliminate most of the people I play with. Some very smart people just don't "get" a lot of game rules until after numerous mistakes. I give everyone a lot of leverage and then when I think they got it they still get one Mulligan.

Example: I was playing Starship Catan with a friend (who owned the game before I did) and we were trying to get through before our 3rd and 4th players arrived. Coming down to a forced last turn I went last and bought an upgrade that gave me a 7-6 victory. He complained vehemently that he didn't know the 2nd upgrades had a VP on them and that he would have done this if he knew. WHAT do you do? I let him have it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
Jimzik wrote:
WHAT do you do? I let him have it.

You slugged him??

Man, you guys take this stuff seriously.

Just smile - really big, really triumphantly - put some teeth in it, and then snap them together like you're biting the head off a baby turtle.

But don't get violent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You take this hammer. I'll hold the nail, and when I nod my head...you hit it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.