Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bogdan Petrar
Romania
Timişoara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everybody,

tonight I think & hope we are going to play our first Puerto Rico game.
I have read the rules and now I'm watching again some videos with the game and I decided to make this topic so I can find answers for my questions.

So, in this game everybody choses a role. The first person choses a role and clock-wise we each do that ... role.

What if at the start of the game, the first player choses the TRADER? Since we just started we don't have ANY goods to sale. What will hapen then?

I will post all my questions here ... as I find my questions

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Treacher
United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the first player did that, then - with no one able to sell any goods - each player would have to pass on the trading house, and then the next player would be able to choose a role.

As you might surmise, that wouldn't be a great first move!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karrde
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As above, thats spot on. If you have no goods to sell the trader just twiddles his thumbs for a while.

Whilst a bad move on turn one, in later turns it can be a good strategy to block others wishing to use the traders special ability or to spoil their actions e.g. if they have no goods to trade and then have to produce afterwards, meaning it all just sits there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
.308 Jake
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Always pick the actions that help you more than anyone else. Picking the trader first with no goods to sell would leave everyone still equal. Say you pick builder though, you get to build first plus you get it a dollar cheaper which puts you ahead by one dollar right from the start. Always try to stay ahead.

Enjoy the game. It's the best
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stein
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're colonists, not slaves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip R
msg tools
The neat thing about Puerto Rico is considering all the actions you put into play with your action.

As the first player, there are only a couple advantageous options, mostly being the Settler or Builder role (and lesser extent prospector). However, taking the Builder will almost certainly provide some incentive for the next player to take the Mayor, which can lead the next player to take the Craftsman, which leads to Trader and Captain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
PETz wrote:
What if at the start of the game, the first player choses the TRADER? Since we just started we don't have ANY goods to sale. What will hapen then?

Absolutely nothing will happen then. The first player misses his opportunity to gain a benefit, screwing him over right from the word go.

Which prompts me to consider the question, why do you ask? What makes you think it is at all likely that the first player will choose the trader?

Some groups like to teach games as they go - just lay everything out, give the absolute minimum information necessary, and explain every action someone tries to take as it is selected. If this is your group, and the reason you are asking this question is because you are worried about what happens when the eight options are laid out and the first player randomly selects something, well, you have good reason to be worried. Three out of the eight roles will similarly do absolutely nothing when chosen by the starting player.

Don't teach Puerto Rico that way. Tell everyone what the eight roles do and what the special benefits are before you start. Otherwise, your first game is likely to really suck, and you might never get the chance to see how it works when players have at least some idea what they are doing.

If that isn't how your group likes to do things, then this advice was unnecessary... but I'd rather you read some unnecessary advice than risk missing some advice that might have been necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.