El Grande» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tie Breaker? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rooster Robinson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the other night My buddy and I tied for most VPs. Who wins?
anyone have any tie breaker ideas? the rules didn't say what happens in case of a tie.

Just wondering what peeps thought.

~VONROO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff
United States
Western Great Lakes - Owashtinong Aajigaaning
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't recall, but if we had to come up with something maybe most in your court for tiebreaker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"No one ever influenced Tolkien - you might as well try to influence a bandersnatch." -C.S. Lewis
mbmbmbmbmb
The official rules don't have a tie-breaker - it's a shared victory.

I was in a tournament once where we needed a tie-breaker, and the director used highest card left in your hand. If tied, second highest, and so on. Seemed fair to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules don't specify, so I'd just call it a tie.

Ideas you might want to consider if you absolutely must have a tie breaker:

Most cubes in the court
Most cubes on the board
Least cubes on the board
Most cubes in the provinces
Highest valued bid card in your hand
Possesion of an unused veto card
Most regions with first place
Most cubes in the King's region
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

"In the event of a tie, the player that takes the king from the board first shall be declared the winner."

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rooster Robinson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess its a tie then.
We counted up our Cabs. and I had one more on the board than he did.
I still had my 13 card as well. perhaps that will be enough to settle the dispute. thanks everyone.

Roo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Effinger
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
WBC uses the following tiebrakers, which I find to make a lot of sense

1) Total number of unused Cabs (If you scored well with less guys on the board, you did better)
2) Cards left in hand (higher is better)

And I believe that next year we're going to count cabs in court as better than cabs in provinces (with cards in hand as the third tiebreaker)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Flowers

Odenton
Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm thinking of changing the first one to just "cabs in court", or even possibly eliminating the first one altogether.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Smith
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree it's necessary to have some kind of tie breaker system in place for most games - especially where ties are more likely to occur or for tournament play.

It seems unfair to give preference for the efficient player that "coasts along" bringing less cubes to the board. He could have just been fortunate to not have as much direct conflict. Players who were forced to bring more caballeros to the board had to work a lot HARDER, and deserve to not be forgotten!

I really like the idea doing a showdown with the remaining power cards. At the same token, I imagine there is a close relationship between cubes on the board vs. the types of cards played:

- Lower power card = more cabs to court, but less cabs on board!
- Higher power card = less cabs to court, but more cabs on board!

Likewise, the types of power cards played also relate to the power cards left in hand! Weighing all of these options, I wanted to ask everyone's opinion on this idea:

TIE BREAKER #1 = Play lowest power card and add caballeros from province to your court (as normal). The player with the highest TOTAL cubes in their court wins!

This system takes 2 elements into consideration: The amount of reserve already prepped in their court plus the potential of a subsequent turn.

TIE BREAKER #2 = Any remaining tied players look upon the board to where the King is currently standing. The player who has the MAJORITY of caballeros in this region wins the game!

At this point, if there is not a clear winner any remaining tied players DESERVE to share & rejoice their victories!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.