Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And it's gone! Thanks for looking!

I have a copy of Dune for trade that is in pretty outstanding condition considering the game is 30 years old. Dune is a game with a solid pedigree - designed by the same guys who made Cosmic Encounter. Furthermore, the game is very highly ranked by the BGG community - it is currently ranked 56, which is quite high for an older game. It's a great game, but I already have a friend who owns a copy, so my copy is going up for trade.

Condition: My copy's box has the usual shelf wear and bowing, plus someone has written GAME on it in black marker for some reason. However, all the components in it are unplayed. The cards and counters are all unpunched, the player screens do not bear the creases of being folded, and the wheels have not been assembled (though the pins for assembly are missing, but these can easily be replaced with brass brads from any craft store). The instructions are a bit faded/yellowed from age, but that it to be expected. The game was bought on eBay, so I don't know much about it's history (i.e. did it come from a smoke-free/pet-free home), however it really is a fantastic copy.

Dune is one of those rare "grail" games that everyone wants, but few people are willing to make a serious offer on, so I am listing it here to see what kind of offers I get. I am in no rush to trade this, and if it doesn't move in the next couple weeks, expect to see it in a future math trade.

Given the rarity/age of this game and it's condition, I am looking for something pretty nice for it. Take a look at my want list and see what I am looking for. Any two games from my want list will be considered a reasonable offer, but I will also consider offers for a single expensive game like StarCraft: The Board Game and Twilight Imperium (Third Edition). Don't offer me anything I'm not looking for, but note that I will also consider promos and expansions for games on my want list.

Send me a geekmail if you are interested.

Edit: Added picture and clarified what I am looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I can buy a copy of Dune for less than most of those games you just listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A copy of Dune in this condition will probably run you about $80-100.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
joshp wrote:

I think maybe for the AH edition with the "Sting" cover in the same condition But while any Dune is "grail" (and I cringe everytime I see someone pick one up for $5 or less at a flea market or thrift store), I think the French edition is the lowest on the ladder out of the 3 editions, but I can definitely be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll offer Downfall of Pompeii and Thebes for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
e.e.goings wrote:
I'll offer Downfall of Pompeii and Thebes for it.

While those are both on my want list, neither of them really scream out to me. Still, I'll keep your offer in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmb
joshp wrote:

This is vastly over-pricing this game on this site. Maybe on eBay, but not here. You are more likely looking at $50-$75. StarCraft and TI are both $80 MSRP.

You might want to consider dropping your want value a bit. But hey, if you are no hurry to get rid of it, someone might come along and want it.

LA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joshp wrote:

You don't happen to work for Troll and Toad, do you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I know what I did wrong here. I am basing my estimate of value based on what is currently for sale on eBay and in the BGG marketplace. However, these games are not moving fast and they themselves might be overpriced. Therefore, I have revised my original post. I will try to consider all reasonable offers, but since I am in no rush, I will probably sit on this for a few days before I get back to anyone about his offer.

Please do not post offers in this thread. Shoot me a geekmail or make the offer through the trade manager.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hoffman
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
joshp wrote:

I think maybe for the AH edition with the "Sting" cover in the same condition But while any Dune is "grail" (and I cringe everytime I see someone pick one up for $5 or less at a flea market or thrift store), I think the French edition is the lowest on the ladder out of the 3 editions, but I can definitely be wrong.

The French edition also includes the 2 expansions plus the variants published in The General, and seems to start at $80 and can easily hit upwards as high as $200.

$60-75 is more commonplace for either AH edition. The "Sting" cover may have been more the desired for a while, but it didn't seem to amount to more than about a 15% premium as copies were going for well under US$80 this past Xmas.

That said, $80-$100 is a mark that even the sandworm cover AH edition has hit in the past, too. This one is a bit like Rail Baron in that phase of the moon seems to matter about as much as condition when it comes to what people will pay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dogmatix wrote:
The French edition also includes the 2 expansions plus the variants published in The General, and seems to start at $80 and can easily hit upwards as high as $200.

from what I've read the expansions are mixed reviews and it sounds like most don't use them

dogmatix wrote:
That said, $80-$100 is a mark that even the sandworm cover AH edition has hit in the past, too. This one is a bit like Rail Baron in that phase of the moon seems to matter about as much as condition when it comes to what people will pay.

the economy may have something to do with it too... we are now post dot com boom and housing boom gone bust not to mention the unemployment rate nationally reaching over 9%.

now if only concert tickets, especially for the older acts, would come back down to reality (pre dot com levels inflation adjusted). Last time I saw Paul McCartney I paid $25/ticket for row 25 center floor and now you can't get nose bleed for that price

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't think they'd even let you stand outside the venue while McCartney is playing for $25. Maybe down the street a bit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mummykitty wrote:
I wouldn't think they'd even let you stand outside the venue while McCartney is playing for $25. Maybe down the street a bit...

His stop in this area this year is at Historic Fenway Park (Boston Red Sox home field) so it's all public streets around the venue, but I think I'll pass doing even that. When I saw him Linda was still in the band....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.