Popular Tags: [View All]
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The subject pretty much says it all. I've never tried out a solitaire wargame before, and was looking at getting my feet wet. I'm on a low budget (i.e. zero), and so was looking to try something that I can find for free, either downloading or playing on VASSAL. I found a geeklist of free pnp solitaire wargames, but the author had not played any of them and most of them actually cost money.

So yes, any recommendations for a free PnP (or VASSAL) solitaire wargame?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick UTMEM
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambush! is a solitaire game that you can play with VASSAL. You will still need the rules and those can be found here, http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/9814/Ambush_Rules_of_Play_...

Enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enhypnion wrote:
Ambush! is a solitaire game that you can play with VASSAL. You will still need the rules and those can be found here, http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/9814/Ambush_Rules_of_Play_...

Enjoy

Thanks for the suggestion!

According to the Vassal site, for this module I'll still need charts and cards. Are the charts included in the rules, and what about the cards it talks about? Also, the VASSAL module doesn't have (as far as I can tell) the paragraph booklet, or the mission cards/sleeve. It doesn't really look like this is playable without purchasing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
United States
Genoa City
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might try Valor & Victory, its free and has VASSAL

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/28452

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ddw867 wrote:
You might try Valor & Victory, its free and has VASSAL

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/28452

Thanks for the suggestion. V&V is actually a 2 player game though, so not what I'm looking for.

I probably should have been more specific that I am looking for a game that is designed to be played solitaire. While some wargames you can just play both sides, that kind of solo play does not interest me at all.

Thanks for the suggestion though! That game looks interesting - it might be worth giving a try anyways, although if I want to play a face-to-face squad level wargame, I'll genreally pull out Conflict of Heroes. I'll keep looking into it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elves Under Hoof
ACW Solitaire not free but cheap.

This is quite a tricky request

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FNH1 wrote:
Elves Under Hoof
ACW Solitaire not free but cheap.

Last Christmas I downloaded Elves Under Hoof, printed it out and assembled it. I played it once, maybe not even for but it is so simplistic and while the theme is fun as a novelty, it loses its appeal very quickly. A few months later we moved and it ended up in the recycling bin. I don't think I'll ever reprint it.

Quote:

This is quite a tricky request

Apparently so! I had no idea it would be. There seem to be lots of solitaire wargames out there, and lots of free print and play wargames out there (Valor & Victory, listed above, looks especially good for a PnP game), but combining both just doesn't seem to happen!

I might give Corsair Leader a try. While it's not 100% free, there is at least a demo you can download, and the full game is relatively cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mb
Free solo PNP games

Anzio: The Fight For The Beachhead, WWII, land
Sensuikan: Eastern Solomons Sept 1942, WWII, sea
Germania: Drusus' Campaigns 12-9 BC, Ancients, land, economic component too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Sipe
United States
Troy
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
It doesn't really look like this is playable without purchasing the game.

Correct. You need the mission cards and soldier cards to play the game...it is literally impossible without them! But I recommend getting a hold of the game. I just started and it has been loads of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Ramirez
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reprint wrote:
Free solo PNP games

This ones new to me. Seems cool but the colors make my eyes bleed. Might have to redo the art. Gotta try it first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reprint wrote:
Free solo PNP games

Anzio: The Fight For The Beachhead, WWII, land
Germania: Drusus' Campaigns 12-9 BC, Ancients, land, economic component too.

Have you tried any of them? Are they any good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I don't recommend games I haven't tried.

I've played Anzio a few times. I like it.
I've read the rules for Sensuikan, but I haven't played it yet because I haven't printed out the map yet.
I've played Germania once or twice. Everything seems to work to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mike. I'll take a look at Anzio then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just tried out Anzio, and had a blast! From download to printing and assembling to finishing my first game took about 2 hours, which I don't think is too bad. I even won, although a couple times I was certainly relying on the fact that the AI would do something silly now and then.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestion! I think I'll try it again, and then maybe try one of the other games you recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
You should pop over to White Dog's website to look at his other games. Some are computer board games, some are print and play. All, I think, have opponent AI. I've played the Napoleonic one and one of the other ones, but I enjoyed Anzio the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mike. I noticed those other ones but didn't look too closely, as most of them aren't in a war era that I'm particularly interested in. I'll take a closer look and maybe try one of them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick UTMEM
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the tables/charts are included in the VASSAL module. The Rule book includes an example of the Squad record sheet. Here is a link to a website that provides a data base of all the game components. http://flyhi.de/e-ambush/ambushproject1.html

You will want "data files only"

Also here is a link to the cyberboard game set. I have never tried this but I thought you might find it interesting. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/11834/Ambush.zip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WAN CHIU
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I wonder if Fields of Fire would fit the bill? You can download the living rules on GMT site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chooche wrote:
I wonder if Fields of Fire would fit the bill? You can download the living rules on GMT site.

Hey, that's true! Do the VASSAL modules have everything you need?

I heard the manual is a big pain in the butt to comprehend, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enhypnion wrote:
Yes the tables/charts are included in the VASSAL module. The Rule book includes an example of the Squad record sheet. Here is a link to a website that provides a data base of all the game components. http://flyhi.de/e-ambush/ambushproject1.html

You will want "data files only"

Also here is a link to the cyberboard game set. I have never tried this but I thought you might find it interesting. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/11834/Ambush.zip

Thanks Nick! I'll definitely look into this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.