Recommend
16 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Steam» Forums » General

Subject: CAUTION: Troll sightings, STEAM trailhead rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
STEAM TRAILHEAD

NOTICE - JULY 8 2009

WILD TROLL ALERT

CAMPGROUND WARNING: WILD TROLLS

NOTE: This notice must be being placed in a public area.
NOTE: This notice must be readily available to new discussions.

There have been many recent Troll sightings, throughout the Steam forum.

Please do not feed the Trolls - they learn to rely on these scraps, and become a menace.

CAUTION - GUIDELINES FOR ENCOUNTERING WILD TROLLS AND LOCAL PREDATORS --

Three trolls have been a particular nuisance, and campers are asked to report any sightings to the authorities -

John Bohrer (John Bohrer)
Along with the game's designer (Martin Wallace), John Bohrer (Winsome) developed the original Age of Steam release. They had a very ugly falling out, and there are irreconcilable differences; this ugly, personal and professional conflict has spilled over into the fan communities, and Mr Bohrer stirs the pot whenever possible. (The original conflict was over Mr Bohrer's theft of the 'Age of Steam' trademark from the designer.) This troll has a clear agenda - EXTREME CAUTION is required when interpreting its comments.

J C Lawrence (clearclaw)
This is the most active troll in the Steam watershed, and a tourist favorite. Caution: Trolls spread disease - DO NOT FEED! An Age Of Steam expansion designer, Mr Lawrence has taken a loathing to Steam and goes out of his way to derail any discussions of the game. In fact - Mr Lawrence has never played Base Steam, reportedly played Standard Steam only once, and doesn't have ready access to either the game itself, nor the published rules. As result, its claims are simply ignorant, although it poses as an expert. This troll has a clear agenda - EXTREME CAUTION is required when interpreting its comments.

Bruce Murphy (thepackrat)
This is the most offensive troll, though Mr Murphy ran off during poetry night a couple of weeks ago. This troll is known to appear suddenly, hurl obscenities at posters (usually related to fluffiness), and then disappear with foodstuffs. Mr Murphy adds no value, but doesn't pretend to. Apparently Mr Murphy played Steam Standard exactly once, and on the wrong map (long after most of his invective). Mr Murphy is to be considered completely uninformed but offensive; however, it has no clear agenda, and is relatively harmless - MODERATE CAUTION.

With the exception of Mr Bohrer, these trolls are not dangerous.

But please, treat them with respect, avoid eye contact, and keep your threads tidy.

Have a good stay.

RAIL DISTRICT, GEEK NATIONAL PRESERVE.
STEAM TRAILHEAD JULY 8 2009.
NOTICE ENDS

edit - typo, title, minor
18 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Your not helping. Seriously people, can I read a thread about Steam or Age of Steam without this unecessary roughness, bad blood and awful poking of a rats nest.



11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Yep - not helpful. Can't we all just get along?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
Almost all of us want that, but regular discussions can't proceed because of the TROLL MENACE.

Unfortunately, the TROLL MENACE will not just go away; ignoring it doesn't work, as we've discovered.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
jimb wrote:
The original conflict was over Mr Bohrer's theft of the 'Age of Steam' trademark from the designer.


Rather, I understand that the original dispute was over unpaid monies.

Quote:
In fact - he has never played Base steam, reportedly played Standard Steam only once, doesn't have ready access to either the game itself, or the published rules.


False.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
jimb wrote:
Almost all of us want that, but regular discussions can't proceed because of the TROLL MENACE.

Unfortunately, the TROLL MENACE will not just go away; ignoring it doesn't work, as we've discovered.


True, but anti-trolling can be just as bad as trolling...

If we keep things directed to the threads, play nice and be decent people, it'll go away or we'll keep managing.

I urge restraint.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny post. I appreciate creative sarcasm. But your comment about pot stirring.... mmmm... Be wary of what one says.

I'm on the fence with this, because I agree with a lot of what you say, it just doesn't seem constructive. Nonetheless, you have the right to post it.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
jimb wrote:
The original conflict was over Mr Bohrer's theft of the 'Age of Steam' trademark from the designer.


Rather, I understand that the original dispute was over unpaid monies.


That might be what John says but I can categorically state that John was paid every last penny he asked for regarding Age of Steam. I even paid him the extra he demanded when he unilatterally changed a deal I made with him a year before.

Of course the money was paid in cash so the only records are the ones in my company accounts. Why John demanded cash payment I can only imagine.

The only unpaid monies regarding Age of Steam are a considerable sum owed to me for games sold to a distributor who sold them on and never paid his invoices.

Edits for spelling
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Hammy wrote:
That might be what John says but I can categorically state that John was paid every last peny he asked for regarding Age of Steam. I even paid him the extra he demanded when he unilatterally changed a deal I made with him a year before.


I don't question that the monies were or were not in fact paid. The statement is purely that a dispute over money was the (first (visible?)) inception of the larger falling out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Hammy wrote:
That might be what John says but I can categorically state that John was paid every last peny he asked for regarding Age of Steam. I even paid him the extra he demanded when he unilatterally changed a deal I made with him a year before.


I don't question that the monies were or were not in fact paid. The statement is purely that a dispute over money was the (first (visible?)) inception of the larger falling out.


John might imagine he is owed money but he is definitely not owed money by Warfrog. I don't even think he is owed money by Martin.

If anything John made more money from Warfrog out of Age of Steam than anyone else did. Martin might have made a bit more. I certainly made a lot less unless the outstanding debt is ever settled.

John's behaviour of late has IMO been pathetic and Martin has risen to the bait on too many occasions.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Admin reminder:

Calling someone a troll, even if justified, never helps and often can exacerbate a situation. Users are expected to express themselves in a courteous and respectful way. BGG policy is to issue a warning on a first offense and to follow future offenses with temporary posting suspensions of increasing length.



LOCKED

/MMM
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.