War for Edaðh» Forums » Rules

Subject: Various Rules Questions / Thoughts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Butcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still haven't had chance to play this face-to-face yet so have more time to think about what-if's which isn't always a good thing. But here goes:

1. What does the "Rate of Fire" symbol on the reverse side (located next to the def value) of a troop card mean? There is one on the A Archer but not on the H-D Gunner.

2. On the Terrain cards what are the move indicators ("Nocks") for? Probably read about them but just didn't register.

3. A level 1 A Archer costs 8 while a H-D Gunner costs 7. In the advanced game, if I understand it correctly, the archers gain a conflict bonus of 2, a longer range (2 to 1), the ability to fire from any rank, and the ability to choose the target troop within a column. Does this mean that the archers are slightly overpriced in the basic game, or slightly underpriced in the advanced game?

4. Square/Circle Stratagem.

(i) Unlike all the other Stratagems in the box, this becomes active immediately (i.e. in the same duration you choose it) because it does haven't the Secondary Card symbol, correct?

(ii) If you choose to play this Stratagem, then do you need to discard any/all of the following Stratagems if you have them already in play?
- Terrain Advantage
- Inspiring Speech
- Terrain Dominance
- Targetted Attack
(I think all others are discarded upon activation). The reason I think you may have to discard them is because the S/C Stratagem card does not have a common flag, nor a flag which appears on any of the above.

(iii) If I have a Battle Master with an ML of 5 presumably the requirement to play the Hold Stratagem each duration only starts in the duration following the one I play S/C, or do I have to use my 2 remaining ML to play Hold at the same time?

5. Moving Troops with Units. Can I freely move any number of troops up to 2 ranks within each column, so with a 3x3 formation I mix-up each column as I want, OR, does it mean I can move a single card within the whole unit?

I played through a solo game of 3 spearman v 3 spearman as an introductory game and it was a major slog because on the whole, if the winner chose their level 1 spearman then the loser put their level 1 spearman in the way, level 2 v level 2, etc. And with two spear units there was so much guarding. I think I'm drawn to the skirmish situation where units face-off against the one in front of them, so if you have level 1 spearman facing a level 3 spearman then you will suffer full damage unless you win or guard which both players know so will impact on the mastery cards chosen. Of course the combat masters alter the situation but I wasn't using them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.