Subject: How often does everyone play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got AH during June 08 (too lazy to check, but it's in the ballpark). Today played game #84. Between June 08 and December 08 clocked in 72 games (6 games each against the AH + DH GOOs). After that, especially since I'd then beaten (aka close/seal win) every GOO, interest waned, just didn't seem to have any reason to crack it open, and really no interest in getting KH (it's often a case with me I've noticed, LotR is the same; luckily FFG = expansions quite a bit ). With IH, 12 games done, but planned out my next 128 games prior to getting IH, so still 116 to go.

I've never played more than 1 game of AH a day. Even though my games (mostly solo running 4 investigators) take a bit less than 2 hours, AH just seems a full emotional/mental commitment that leaves me unwilling to do 2 games a day (regardless of how easy/difficult a game was; like today I molested Bokrug, 6-sealing him with his doom track ending at 2 of 12 surprise ).

Addendum: If I'm unemployed (which happens to be the case quite a bit soblue ) or on vacation (as is the case atm), weather depending a game each week day, additional one with my friend on Saturday. When I was working during the early summer, I did manage AH games after work, but definately not one per day regularly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. I was wondering the same thing since I got my AH like 2 weeks ago. I played 3 times. Once with 4 players and 2 other times with 2 players playing 2 investigator each. Since my gf and daughter goes to bed earlier sometimes, I call my friend and hit him with a game starting at about 9ish which last till 12:30 ish. We can play once on weekdays since we have a 'Board Game Day' once a week. Though if we play AH, it takes the whole night. After 3 plays, the shortest game lasted 3h 15 min. Hopefully when we get more exp in it, it will go faster. Though we take time to read all the stuff aloud which takes considerably more time but at least, if we beat the crap outta the game, we still feel like a void has been filled!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rose
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play an average of 1 time per month. My actual game plays vary. My group often will play several weeks in a row, then move onto something else for a few weeks.

Also, I typically will play several sessions while at conventions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Oh, I don't actually play the game. I am much too busy answering rules questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, I hope that's not totally true!

I've been playing a lot lately, with Innsmouth coming out as well as the Arkham League going on, but in general I'd say we play 2-3 times a month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer Player
United States
California
flag msg tools
I play once or twice every two months, depending. I mostly play it solo, since I don't know anyone around my town who's really into this game, except once, but that guy just appeared out of nowhere and dissappeared into the Abyss after I left the game area that night zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play as often as I can convince my buddies to drag out their copies of the games. It seems like it goes over better on dark and stormy nights, and since it's summer time those are few and far between in Seattle. Though we did have to try Innsmouth....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play 2 or 3 times a week on average. I play solo, and tend to play when my wife is at one of her evening classes or using our PC for something. We have no kids - just 2 psycho kittens who are not allowed into my games room

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Clinch
United Kingdom
Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On average once a month. Different exp every time, random GOO, sometimes we choose Inv' (like 1 from 3) or even play 2 Inv's each, between 3 or 4 players. Havn't played Innsmouth yet, but its on the cards...goo

Beginning to feel like we win more often than not, then we get a good slappin' cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Used to play 1-2 times a month, usually solo. Would love to play more but with 2 kids time is a little bit tight.

Unfortunately nowadays I'm unable to play. Doing some heavy construction work on the house and I had to move all the games to my sister in law. That includes an opened but unplayed Innsmouth Horror expansion! It's killing me and I'd love to play soon. But it will probably take a few more months before I can play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nurse Foxfire
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we got the game 2 weeks ago, we've played 5 games, and MAN am I tired! But last night we (my husband and I) successfully beat Yog-Sothoth using no variants or "helps", and using only 2 investigators. Granted, it was the Mandy-photographer team, but still!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play usually once every couple weeks. Lately we have been playing by the rules set for the Arkham Horror League on fantasyflightgames.com. BUT when we aren't doing that we usually use ALL the expansions cards, but not always the boards. If a cards references a place that we don't have in play we discard and draw another.

I made a little case for holding all the cards the we also store them in. Using this we can set up and play a game in about an hour. This is for two people that have played a lot.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Nies
United States
Keizer
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham League increases your plays exponentially - especially if you are trying to optimize your scores. So, for us it was going on 3-4 times a scenario, 2 scenarios a month or so. Haven't had a chance to wrap up the last three scenarios. Looks like we're in for some heavy AH gaming in the next week or so as the League wraps up at the end of the month I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll estimate something like 2 times every 3 months. I don't usually get a lot of time all at once for gaming, and I do I'd rather play a few games than 1 long game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the game after it was first released (in 05 I believe) I've submitted around 160 games to the stats site and I estimate I've played 100 games before that, so I'm nearing 260 games.

When I lived in NY I would play many times a week with Dan.

Since I moved to MD, none of my friends seemed to like the game. I would play solo once in a while.

Most of my trips to NY involve multiple games with Dan.

For the past year or so I've managed to get a couple in each week.

Recently I've gotten a few guys here in MD very interested in the game and I'm currently working them through my "training regimen."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
Work has been crazy so I don't play often enough. With that said, I rarely play with other people because it's not on their high priority list.

But in general, I try to get in one solo game a month. I'm hoping to get back to that this month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer Player
United States
California
flag msg tools
InnsmouthMedic wrote:
Arkham League increases your plays exponentially - especially if you are trying to optimize your scores. So, for us it was going on 3-4 times a scenario, 2 scenarios a month or so. Haven't had a chance to wrap up the last three scenarios. Looks like we're in for some heavy AH gaming in the next week or so as the League wraps up at the end of the month I believe.

I stopped playing the league after failing scenario 10 3 times. Each time I was so close, just 1 seal away from winning (going against Cthulhu is suicide). And each frikkin time the innsmouth track filled up and woke up the AO. With the Dunwich and Innsmouth board, plus those 2 heralds, it's hard!

Although I do believe I made a mistake one game. 7 gates opened (I think that's the limit for a 4 player game, I always gotta look at the reference sheet off and on), so the AO woke up. A week later I find out about the rule where if you use more than 1 board expansion, you treat the game as if it has 1 player less, like how the Outskirts can take more monsters, less come on the board, more gates are required to open before the end, etc. I might've been able to win the game if I kept that in mind.

Bad news is, I tend to lose my willpower to play after 3 games of the same scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had the game for about a year now and have played twice. I like it, but it is long and not well-suited to the chunks of time I have to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gexthegreengecko wrote:
I stopped playing the league after failing scenario 10 3 times. Each time I was so close, just 1 seal away from winning (going against Cthulhu is suicide). And each frikkin time the innsmouth track filled up and woke up the AO. With the Dunwich and Innsmouth board, plus those 2 heralds, it's hard!

Bad news is, I tend to lose my willpower to play after 3 games of the same scenario.

It took me 7 tries to get through scenario 5. I was a real Negative Nancy and complained HARD about it on the FFG forums. But I mean REALLY: no clues on the board or with investigators, and doom tokens are doubled when monster balance is equal (including ALWAYS the first doom token)? I had to start choosing investigators that were more likely to start with an Elder Sign (from those left over). It was hell. I actually spent more games on that scenario than I did trying to seal Atlach-Nacha.

I've only played Scenario 10 once, but I do remember deliberately choosing Norman Withers because he could help keep monster levels low in Innsmouth. Not like it mattered; gates opened EVERYWHERE and pretty soon we were in too deep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IDK, we just got rocked in Scenario 10 when playing with just Dunwich. Then we added Innsmouth and basically rolled to an easy win. Patrice is just insane in that scenario, plus picking characters with helpful personal stories (read: GET CLUES) meant at one point we literally had no clue tokens left in the supply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had clues run out with Patrice before. Though I wouldn't be using Personal Stories in the scenario, because they are a variant and Calvin doesn't have one.

If I play with Patrice, I'm playing a rule that investigators can't use her clues to seal gates, only to add to skill checks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
App. once every 6 weeks. We have a game club that meets every OTHER Sunday and it seems like it hits the table about 1 out of 3 meetings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually play twice per month but it's ramped up slightly with the Arkham Horror League. That should taper off now since we've only got one more chapter to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Giglia
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My girl friend and I play with another couple play AH about once every other week. There is just something that brings us back to AH time and again. It's more like an addiction than a game night. We only have the base game plus CotDP. I can't imagine the addiction we'd have with the other expansions. But it's coming soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lindsay-Levine
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I play this game once a year, always on Halloween.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.