Mike Bauer
msg tools
Has there been any word about official "tournament rules" for the Anniversary Edition (like what was done for the Revised Ed.)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not so far. It hasn't really been out long enough. If there are official tournament rules developed, I doubt the changes will be as extensive as in the ones for Revised were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bauer
msg tools
Has anyone heard anything for official Tourny rules for 2010?

Perhaps there will be some rules from A&A Pacific: 1940 that can be incorporated?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
impulse wrote:
Has there been any word about official "tournament rules" for the Anniversary Edition (like what was done for the Revised Ed.)?

Are there any specific issues you think need to be "fixed"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bauer
msg tools
ozimek wrote:
impulse wrote:

Are there any specific issues you think need to be "fixed"?

Not really (although we ALWAYS play with the optional rule that the Dardenelles (Black Sea) is closed to naval units).

But, I would like to see some National Advantages (an idea from the revised, 2004 Axis & Allies) "officially" added to encourage alternate game play. For example, National Advantages such as Wolf Packs would encourage a German player to build subs instead of just building men and tanks. US Marines (Pacific use only) would encourage the US player to challenge Japan in the Pacific instead of simply pursuing a "Kill Germany First" strategy.

Also, Italy (as the new sixth player) does not currently have a National Advantage for it.

Personally, I like the idea of just cherry-picking the very best ideas of National Advantages that are both historical as well as beneficial for balanced game-play (I thought that too much effort went into making sure each country had exactly six National Advantages to choose from in the revised edition of A&A).

Finally, it's possible that some good ideas from the recent Axis & Allies Pacific 1940 might be used in Anniversary Edition to enhance game play without changing it too much. I like the idea of having aircraft carriers as capital ships, for example...

Having sanctioned, official Tournament Rules encourages players to play with these (optional) rules since "house rules" tend to get dismissed as un-playtested or non-canonical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.