Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of reviewers and quite a few commentators report that they play this with kids. Looking at the rules, though, I wonder whether it could often lead to tears. A kid who has two high cards in a color, and is counting on scoring these, would lose a lot of points in one fell swoop were he/she to have to take a third card in that color. Maybe it's just my kids, but I can easily imagine this leading to frustration and anger. What is your experience?

Of course, fellow adult gamers can play less cutthroat and avoid sticking it to the kid players. But there is only so much control one has, particularly when young fellow players can't be counted on to play strategically themselves... so some upset plans are inevitable, surely.

I realize that learning how to handle disappointment is a good skill for kids to learn, and is part of learning how to play games. But I just want to be sure that in the mix of fun and disappointment, the former outweighs the latter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your right in the having a big score and then getting toasted. happens to me all of the time. The darned kids are always bashing me! I'm much better about the crying thing now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let's Play Two!
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 8 y.o. did fine with this game. He used to get a bit upset when he'd suddenly move from a winning position to a weaker position in games, but he's played enough now to learn that it happens to everyone (and he especially loves seeing it happen to me). I think it would be fine for most kids around 8 and up unless they're particularly sensitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I can attest first hand that kids get upset when they're hoping the face value of the card will be part of the final score and then they take on extra cards on the last turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.