Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Worley
United States
Vicksburg
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
At 40%, you will stop DoTs! Until then, you will throw more dots, throw more DoTs, more DoTs, more DoTs, come on... more DoTs! Okay! Stop DoTs!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, you're trying to play a quick game of Dominion, huh? Well, you may want to avoid these three cards as they can add a great deal of time to your games - especially games with higher numbers of players.

1. Black Market
Black Market is one of the biggest time wasting cards around. I mean, even if you don't plan to buy from the Black Market deck, you still have to look just to put them in the order that you want on the bottom - plus would you really not look even if you could leave them on top of the deck? Yeah, yeah... it's a fun card that can add a pretty good twist to overall game play, but it can seriously slow it down too. I try to put together fast games during my lunch hour at work so that our usual group can get 2 or 3 games in at the least. If we turn up the Black Market card (unless we haven't played with it in a while), we toss it right back out.

2. Gardens
Gardens is another time waster that should be avoided if you plan to play a quick game. A Gardens deck is a lot of fun (mostly because it goes against all other strategies and you end up with a huge deck), but that fun comes at the expense of usually having to draw out 3 or 4 stacks instead of just the province pile.

3. Militia
Militia, for obvious reasons, can slow the game down too - especially if you are not playing with the moat. Discarding down to 3 cards can be frustrating unless you have a well constructed deck. Multiple Militias right from the beginning can be a killer too. Militia may not be as bad as the top two, but it is one of the most game slowing attack cards available - especially with no moats.

Remember: This list is only for streamlining the game. If you don't have a time limit to work with, then you should definitely shuffle the demo cards and draw 10 random ones to keep and play with - no matter what they are. Leaving these cards out, however, allows you to play more games of Dominion during a given time period and is especially useful for those of us who like to play Dominion during a lunch hour at work for example.

Have any better ideas for game slowing cards? Post them below...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Village, Village and Village.

My very first time playing the game, my opponent (who was also new) was obsessed with Village. His turns went something like this: "Village. Village. Smithy. Village. Cellar. Village. (I go off and make a sandwich at this point.)

Village is a nice card and all, but he wound up with a big long combo and little to show for it at the end.

I agree with Black Market slowing the game down too. I'm close to taking it out of the rotation. I will probably do so when I finally receive Intrigue next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Ölmestig
Sweden
Halmstad
Halland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Then you will have Saboteur to slow the game down with. The fastest game I have played with was probably with workshop, throneroom and gardens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience no cards really slow the game down in the long term.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Worley
United States
Vicksburg
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
At 40%, you will stop DoTs! Until then, you will throw more dots, throw more DoTs, more DoTs, more DoTs, come on... more DoTs! Okay! Stop DoTs!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Nuts wrote:
Village, Village and Village.

My very first time playing the game, my opponent (who was also new) was obsessed with Village. His turns went something like this: "Village. Village. Smithy. Village. Cellar. Village. (I go off and make a sandwich at this point.)

Village is a nice card and all, but he wound up with a big long combo and little to show for it at the end.

I agree with Black Market slowing the game down too. I'm close to taking it out of the rotation. I will probably do so when I finally receive Intrigue next week.

Oh yeah... Village would have also been on the list for sure, but I usually play with a group of 4 (sometimes 5) well versed players who realize that too many of them just plain suck. For beginners though village must seem like a great deal or something because they usually end up buying a ton of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Stone
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mr_Nuts wrote:

That's the part the frustrates me the most. Usually these turns end with - "...and with my three coppers... I'll buy another village."

aaaaagh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Worley
United States
Vicksburg
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
In my experience no cards really slow the game down in the long term.

What do you mean by "in the long term?" If you are talking about after all of the players are experienced then I would have to disagree. We have been playing Dominion for a while now at lunch and BM or Gardens cards can throw about 10 mins. or more onto the game time (which is a lot if you are trying to maximize your hour).

godfeather wrote:
Then you will have Saboteur to slow the game down with. The fastest game I have played with was probably with workshop, throneroom and gardens.

I haven't had the luxury of playing with the Intrigue cards yet, but from the looks of Saboteur it will definitely slow things down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience Gardens can often make for the very fastest games.

Witch with no counters can slow the game down.

A set with no additional actions can slow the game down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Militia, Spy, Bureaucrat and Thief can all slow the game down because you often have to wait for your opponents to shuffle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Richards
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found witch to a game slowing experience, expecially with no moat in play. Second is probably militia until people start to finally have enough to buy golds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Worley
United States
Vicksburg
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HappyProle wrote:
Militia, Spy, Bureaucrat and Thief can all slow the game down because you often have to wait for your opponents to shuffle.

This is true, but in general I have noticed that the top three cards that slow down the game for us are the ones above.

A side note for Gardens: When you see someone start buying these, you probably should buy at least one or two as well lest you allow them to have all of them unless you can end it swiftly (which is a gamble). This makes the game slower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Thief really slows the game down for us, because no one will buy gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gardens does nothing directly to slow the game down. Even if you count the extra buys, the rate of shuffling is reduced as well.

Village is only annoying if people are slow about it. Play them all at once, and draw the cards all at once.

I don't play with promo cards.

The slowest card is witch; it probably adds 50% to the average game, if not more. It does far more to inhibit someone's deck than the other attacks, at least over time.

The other slow cards are militia and thief. Militia reduces hand size and thus the rate of buying provinces, and thief reduces money and thus the rate of buying provinces. The cumulative effect can be staggering. Militia also requires people to make tough decisions about what to discard.

Honorable mention for the spy, which wastes time similarly to the thief but is less devastating to deck composition than the thief and less devastating to a hand than militia.

Short version would be all attacks, but the bureaucrat is pretty easy to execute and isn't more devastating than the thief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Worley
United States
Vicksburg
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gardens slow the game down for us because of our random card draws and the fact that when you see someone pick a garden up, you or other players pick them up too so that the one guy doesn't have all 12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that games went much quicker once we took out Coppers. We start with seven Silvers now and it's so much faster. It's been such a success that we're thinking of moving to Gold: that way we could maybe get a hundred games in over lunch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Worley
United States
Vicksburg
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you could make a new denomination like 50 money cards... or not be so sarcastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gwash wrote:
Maybe you could make a new denomination like 50 money cards... or not be so sarcastic.

Hi, and welcome to the internets. It's an exciting land of hope and wonder, but unfortunately its population is afflicted with chronic sarcasm.

The bright side is that it is catching, and once you have it you're much less likely to suffer from persistent twisting of knickers. Fortunately your "50 money cards" comment suggests that you have contracted the disease: soon you will be a full-blown carrier.

You're one of us now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Worley
United States
Vicksburg
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisjwmartin wrote:
Gwash wrote:

Hi, and welcome to the internets. It's an exciting land of hope and wonder, but unfortunately its population is afflicted with chronic sarcasm.

The bright side is that it is catching, and once you have it you're much less likely to suffer from persistent twisting of knickers. Fortunately your "50 money cards" comment suggests that you have contracted the disease: soon you will be a full-blown carrier.

You're one of us now.

Well... as long as there is cake... I'm in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gwash wrote:
chrisjwmartin wrote:
Gwash wrote:

You're one of us now.

Well... as long as there is cake... I'm in.

I'm afraid the cake is a lie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the fun derailment, Chris.

Back on topic - one of the Intrigue cards has an effect where everyone has to discard their hand and draw 4 new cards. That can slow things down considerably as players need to rethink their entire next turn based on the new draw.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Worley
United States
Vicksburg
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I have not had the pleasure of playing with the Intrigue cards just yet, but there is a massive shift towards more player interaction with the new cards that should provide for more fun and longer games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Thanks for the fun derailment, Chris.

Back on topic - one of the Intrigue cards has an effect where everyone has to discard their hand and draw 4 new cards. That can slow things down considerably as players need to rethink their entire next turn based on the new draw.

*shrugs*

Don't see any thumbs for his replies to me, versus three thumbs for my "sarcastic fun derailment". And of course getting thumbed is the sign of all that is good and holy in life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.