Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I logged on to Google Reader and found almost 600 new postings! They all seemed to be trade notifications and Geeklist item notifications for a ton of games I follow. Thing is, I have all of those types of feeds set to "NO" in the Subscription preferences.

Anyone else seen this? Just FYI for someone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Creighton
United States
Decatur
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same thing happen to me. Hundreds of messages from the hot deals forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
sorry--a problem in converting to a new (internal) rss system. I made some changes. It should be mostly back to normal now.

I unintentionally included replies in the feeds for forums and games. That should be fixed now.

I intentionally included geeklist items in the rss feeds for games, however--that seemed something that would be of interest, at least after the initial flood clears out. Is this something I should remove?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles S
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm using the standard rss feed off of games. It seems that hot deals, geek lists, and maybe other areas have been included that used to not be.
In addition, it is picking up old posts in the forums. I just received an update on a May 2009 post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
ChazIsidore wrote:
I'm using the standard rss feed off of games. It seems that hot deals, geek lists, and maybe other areas have been included that used to not be.
In addition, it is picking up old posts in the forums. I just received an update on a May 2009 post.

What is the exact link of the feed you are using?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Under my Race for the Galaxy: Rebel vs Imperium RSS feed I'm getting Item For Sale, Geeklist items, Images and Files (possibly others). I'm also seeing forum posts from Race for the Galaxy (i.e. the base game entry, not the expansion entry which is what it used to only show).

This is in Firefox, and the URL is:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/gamexml/40210

I also just tried adding the RSS feed again (from the RSS link on the Rebel vs Imperium game page) and it shows the same items, although the URL is now different:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/rss/thing/40210

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
Except for the base game posts, those were all added intentionally. Previously, for technical reasons, the game rss feeds could only include forums, but they have always been intended to include more content. Now, you should NOT be getting stuff from the base game. I'll have to look into that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles S
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
sorry--a problem in converting to a new (internal) rss system. I made some changes. It should be mostly back to normal now.

I unintentionally included replies in the feeds for forums and games. That should be fixed now.

I intentionally included geeklist items in the rss feeds for games, however--that seemed something that would be of interest, at least after the initial flood clears out. Is this something I should remove?

Personally I use the rss feed for games to determine if there is a forum post that I want to read in total (and then go to the geek to read it, maybe print it). Maybe look at an image that looks interesting. Basically, I'm looking to get content about that game pushed to me. So forums, a change to the game entry itself, files uploaded, images are what I would want in the feed.

To me, a geeklist with a game is not content about that game. The game is the content in the geeklist. Having the option to see all geeklists that have the game might be nice, but to me that is not the same batch of content.

The items for sale being in the feed makes even less sense. If I'm subscribed to the game, there is a pretty high chance I own it (thus don't care about the sales). If I do care about the sales (because I'm going to buy it), once I buy it I won't care to see the sales. Again better would be a way to subscribe for just an items for sale feed.

RSS is my main entry point to the geek on a daily basis. I rarely just browse the geek. I go because I saw a post about a game that I find interesting. When the rss feeds were down a couple of years ago, I didn't really visit the geek at all. There is just too much clutter to navigate when all I want is user generated information on a list of 15-20 games. Adding in geeklists and for sale items to the rss is just moving that clutter to the rss.

Case in point... I just got notice that Power Grid was added to the list "Reality is a poorly designed game" http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/43947 . It is a nice list, but has nothing to do with the game Power Grid.

As far as my subscriptions, I subscribed to primordial soup via the www.boardgamegeek.com/gamexml/124 link initially, which is what the feed looks like on google reader. This maps to http://www.boardgamegeek.com/rss/thing/124 now.

I think my issue with old posts may have been cleared up by now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
Once the caches clear, the problem of seeing the base item in the feed for an expansion should be solved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChazIsidore wrote:

Personally I use the rss feed for games to determine if there is a forum post that I want to read in total (and then go to the geek to read it, maybe print it). Maybe look at an image that looks interesting. Basically, I'm looking to get content about that game pushed to me. So forums, a change to the game entry itself, files uploaded, images are what I would want in the feed.

To me, a geeklist with a game is not content about that game. The game is the content in the geeklist. Having the option to see all geeklists that have the game might be nice, but to me that is not the same batch of content.

The items for sale being in the feed makes even less sense. If I'm subscribed to the game, there is a pretty high chance I own it (thus don't care about the sales). If I do care about the sales (because I'm going to buy it), once I buy it I won't care to see the sales. Again better would be a way to subscribe for just an items for sale feed.

Agreed wholeheartedly. Games are often used as geeklist entries even when they have nothing to do with the game itself (i.e. your Power Grid example), so unless there's a way to filter out that chaff, it's just creating noise in the RSS feed. Sale items are a complete waste of space to me - no doubt useful to some, but better off as a separate feed.

Adding images and files to the existing feed is a welcome improvement for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scwont wrote:

Agreed wholeheartedly. Games are often used as geeklist entries even when they have nothing to do with the game itself (i.e. your Power Grid example), so unless there's a way to filter out that chaff, it's just creating noise in the RSS feed. Sale items are a complete waste of space to me - no doubt useful to some, but better off as a separate feed.

Adding images and files to the existing feed is a welcome improvement for me.

I agree as well.

BTW, the "main game on expansions" really screwed up my RSS feed considering how many Age of Steam and Memoir '44 expansions I have in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
All of the feeds should be fixed now. Let me know if there are further issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The recent addition of games for sale and geeklists to the RSS feeds is not entirely correct. Here's an example, where a thread for 1825 unit 1 is appearing in the RSS feed for 1825 extension kit k7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
The recent addition of games for sale and geeklists to the RSS feeds is not entirely correct. Here's an example, where a thread for 1825 unit 1 is appearing in the RSS feed for 1825 extension kit k7.

That should actually be fixed now, although some less active games may have related items in the cache.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
le_el wrote:
And what do I do to also get the replies using the gamexml feed?

(Please correct me if I'm wrong, but) I don't like the new subscription system cause all the subscriptions come in a single feed - very confusing.

Good new--you are wrong! In each module, and next to each line in the new items by subscription list is an rss feed symbol--you can subscribe to any of those to suscribe to a specific item or thread or whatever. Due to an oversight, these are not on the subscriptions view page, but I can easily add them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:

No, please keep it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still seems to be very screwy for me.... have all the RSS feedlinks changed names?

e.g. I had been using

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/gamexml/36218

but this now seems to have changed to

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/rss/thing/36218

These also seem to have lost "replies" to main topics.

Finally the RSS feed for ones subscriptions doesn't seem to function at all.

I am using IE8 (and Newbreak on a PPC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
Yes, many of the feeds have changed. Please let me know the links for any feeds that do not work at all.

I thought that the previous "gamexml" rss feeds also excluded replies. Can anyone confirm one way or the other? it is easy to include or exclude them--I thought I was more or less replicating the previous behavior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
Plaatsvervangende Schaamte
badge
mbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
Yes, many of the feeds have changed. Please let me know the links for any feeds that do not work at all.

I thought that the previous "gamexml" rss feeds also excluded replies. Can anyone confirm one way or the other? it is easy to include or exclude them--I thought I was more or less replicating the previous behavior.

Replies used to be in the gamexml also. I for one would like to see them back.

Thanks,
Jon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
Yes, many of the feeds have changed. Please let me know the links for any feeds that do not work at all

I've PM'ed you.

Quote:

For me it a very definite yes please to include "replies" (if this has changed in the past few days).

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
Replies will be back momentarily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The changes to the text in each item have now made it difficult or impossible to tell which forum thread they come from, at least in some RSS readers (I'm using Live Bookmarks in Firefox). Previously it was possible to see the thread title for forum entries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/rss/user/jdludlow

This is no longer returning a properly formed XML document.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
According to the feed validator at http://validator.w3.org/ , it is a valid RSS feed. What seems to be the problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing anymore. When I posted that message the feed was missing

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<rss version="2.0" xmlnsc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">

So there was no top-level element, thus the reader was going bonkers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.