Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Heralds rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Barnes
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
As we have only AH and Dunwich, we have not seen any heralds in play yet. The online Dunwich Horror herald looks like a lot of fun. So how is a herald incorporated in the game? Do we just say we are using the DH herald and incorporate everything listed under the Whately Prophecy? Is there anything important we should know before implementing our first herald?

Thanks a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You just slap it down next to the GOO and follow what it says on the sheet. Everything on the sheet (DH Herald for example has a game effect also under the "Son of Yog-Sothoth" part). It's not rocket science . As far as stats go, I think the DH Herald increases the chance of the Dunwich Horror appearing by quite a bit (179% at last stat check). Oh yeah, if Yog is GOO, kill the DH before Yog wakes up .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Barnes
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
It is just as easy as I suspected. Thanks.

We actually had the Dunwich Horror appear in our first game using the expansion last night. We had a gate appear in Dunwich and a monster surge not long after. Then three monsters moved into the vortex shortly afterwards. We even managed to drive the beastly thing away. It was a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Killing the Dunwich Horror can actually be quite a boon to your investigation, if you can pull it off and keep the rest of the game under control while you do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the Dunwich Horror herald. Though I was quite surprised that Kingsport didn't include a herald that required Kingsport to play (one that accelerated the rift tracks or increased an open rift's effect, for example).

I wish FFG would make another online one for Kingsport whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:

lalalalalalalalala, I can't hear you laugh .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
kungfro wrote:

lalalalalalalalala, I can't hear you laugh .

That's an odd response. You'd be the person least affected by a Kingsport-specific herald.

Seems like you're actively in denial about Kingsport. You need to save up some dough and get it. Ask for it for a holiday gift! Your game is not complete without Kingsport and its oddities.

You sure go out of your way to let readers know that you don't have Kingsport. I wonder if somewhere in your psyche there is small voice screaming, "your Arkham is incomplete! I long to be infected by Eihort! I long to sail the White Ship! Lola Hayes and Rex Murphy need to use their Credit Rating to load their Elephant Gun and use it and the Yithian Rifle to toast a Shan and a Moon Beast!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
You need to save up some dough and get it. Ask for it for a holiday gift! Your game is not complete without Kingsport and its oddities.

I could go out and get it tomorrow (assuming it's still on the shelf at my local game store), but I think not.

Quote:
You sure go out of your way to let readers know that you don't have Kingsport. I wonder if somewhere in your psyche there is small voice screaming, "your Arkham is incomplete! I long to be infected by Eihort! I long to sail the White Ship! Lola Hayes and Rex Murphy need to use their Credit Rating to load their Elephant Gun and use it and the Yithian Rifle to toast a Shan and a Moon Beast!"

Yeah, and IH + DH get ever more diluted. Currently both see fair to middlin' action each game, DH slightly less, but action nonetheless. GOOs would be nice, though would mess up my current game schedule, which is still planned for the next 116 AH games ! Also, €50 for basically 4 GOOs is a bit steep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
kungfro wrote:
You need to save up some dough and get it. Ask for it for a holiday gift! Your game is not complete without Kingsport and its oddities.

I could go out and get it tomorrow (assuming it's still on the shelf at my local game store), but I think not.

I more meant extra money that you're willing to throw around, when you get enough "fun funds." I could buy a new set of AH and all its expansions right now, but the banks who handle my loans wouldn't find the purchase quite as enjoyable as I would.

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, and IH + DH get ever more diluted. Currently both see fair to middlin' action each game, DH slightly less, but action nonetheless. GOOs would be nice, though would mess up my current game schedule, which is still planned for the next 116 AH games ! Also, €50 for basically 4 GOOs is a bit steep.
[/q]
Well, DH and IH are already a bit diluted as it is if you're using them all together without a variant (sad but true). Adding KH won't change that fact much, but at least you'll now have a threat that NEVER gets diluted.

You keep saying €50 for essentially four AOs, but there's so much more: heralds, guardians (if you use them), investigators, even if you take out the two or three you'd refuse to play; items, skills and allies; new other worlds, the board itself (which is actually a fun threat, despite its criticisms. Though I prefer my house-rule that rifts only open in Kingsport, never in the other boards; that should make it less sleepy and a bit more thematic). Epic Battle of course, so that your final combats can feel like well-earned victories finally. Tons of awesome monsters. Two of Nyarlathotep's masks are in this expansion too, don't forget. Shadowy Figure is probably the coolest of all of them.

Someday, Dam. And it'll be worth it. The only thing you'll be truly disappointed in is your lack of table space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
You keep saying €50 for essentially four AOs, but there's so much more: heralds, guardians (if you use them)

Pass on the Heralds.

Quote:
investigators, even if you take out the two or three you'd refuse to play

More like leave in maybe 2 or 3 that aren't shake ... (Tony, Lola, maybe Luke)

Quote:
items

Yeah, that's what I want, an extra Elder Sign and $5 costing doom token remover, that just happens to be re-usable with Pete .

Quote:
allies

Yeah, more doom token removing.

Quote:
Epic Battle of course, so that your final combats can feel like well-earned victories finally.

IH GOOs are already freaks without EB.

Quote:
Tons of awesome monsters.

That you'll draw how often?

Quote:
Two of Nyarlathotep's masks are in this expansion too, don't forget. Shadowy Figure is probably the coolest of all of them.

Still 36 games before Nyarly even possibly comes up again.

Quote:
The only thing you'll be truly disappointed in is your lack of table space.

Fool, I play all games on the floor !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Pass on the Heralds.

Okay, Ghroth is all right, but Tulszcha makes for some interesting considerations.

Quote:
More like leave in maybe 2 or 3 that aren't shake ... (Tony, Lola, maybe Luke)

Eh. At least you're on board for Tony. Nobody likes him

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I want, an extra Elder Sign and $5 costing doom token remover, that just happens to be re-usable with Pete .

Weed out the items you don't like! But there are a lot of awesome items too. At least you should see how they all play before ejecting them outright.

Quote:
Quote:
allies

Yeah, more doom token removing.

Just the one. There are 10 more (including a kitty).

Quote:
IH GOOs are already freaks without EB.

But tough and unpredictable are two different things. The phrase "dice fest" comes to mind. I hope you've at least figured out some way to use the Sinister Plot cards in Innsmouth.

Quote:
Quote:
Tons of awesome monsters.

That you'll draw how often?

Um, often actually. Kingsport comes with a lot of monsters.

Quote:
Quote:
Two of Nyarlathotep's masks are in this expansion too, don't forget. Shadowy Figure is probably the coolest of all of them.

Still 36 games before Nyarly even possibly comes up again.

So what? They'll be there when you play him!

Quote:
Fool, I play all games on the floor !

Ugh. I get back pains and crud gets on my cards. The 83-inch table was picked out specifically for Kingsport, actually. Good thing it can take Innsmouth too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
Dam the Man wrote:
Pass on the Heralds.

Okay, Ghroth is all right, but Tulszcha makes for some interesting considerations.

Oops, meant pass on the Guardians of course. Heralds will hit the floor again after the next 4 games.

Quote:
Weed out the items you don't like! But there are a lot of awesome items too. At least you should see how they all play before ejecting them outright.

Either I use all or nothing, that's my policy .

Quote:
Just the one. There are 10 more (including a kitty).

Hmmm, skinning Duke and a kitty... whistle

Quote:
I hope you've at least figured out some way to use the Sinister Plot cards in Innsmouth.

Sure, they are blocking the AH Encounter and Mythos decks from falling while setting up and putting away the game ! I took out the insert from the IH box and put the big cards against the bottom edge sideways in order of: DH-IH-AH-Mythos. They fit just about right, being sleeved and all.

Quote:
Um, often actually. Kingsport comes with a lot of monsters.

Quick count I got 16 every game usable monsters that are new and cool, that's around 1 in 9 from KH. Also, I think Elusive helps the investigators more than it hinders.

Quote:
So what? They'll be there when you play him!

With all other KH monsters added in, even less chance of getting even one (2 Masks in total of 28 monsters) .

Quote:
crud gets on my cards.

Maybe clean up once in a while ? Playing on the mat + sleeves, haven't seen anything icky on the cards so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Oops, meant pass on the Guardians of course. Heralds will hit the floor again after the next 4 games.

Should have known. I wondered why you didn't mention them.

Quote:
Either I use all or nothing, that's my policy .

Weird policy, considering you don't use all the expansions!

Quote:
Hmmm, skinning Duke and a kitty... whistle

Unskinnable. Foolishness grants a +3 stat bonus, and has no "discard to gain" ability. I guess if you pick up Zoog (you won't) he skins the cat. Or maybe he is the cat. I don't know the backstory here.

Quote:
Sure, they are blocking the AH Encounter and Mythos decks from falling while setting up and putting away the game ! I took out the insert from the IH box and put the big cards against the bottom edge sideways in order of: DH-IH-AH-Mythos. They fit just about right, being sleeved and all.

Aww. I figured you'd at least do something like: roll a die; on a 1 use the Sinister Plot instead of a normal combat round.

Quote:
Quick count I got 16 every game usable monsters that are new and cool, that's around 1 in 9 from KH. Also, I think Elusive helps the investigators more than it hinders.

16's still good. Okay so the Serpent People helps more than it hinders, but the only other elusive monsters are the (1) Werewolf, which is a thorn, and the (1) Shadowy Figure, which is extremely rare AND and extreme thorn.

Quote:
With all other KH monsters added in, even less chance of getting even one (2 Masks in total of 28 monsters) .

Daammmm.... 10 Mask monsters... Daaaaaaammmmmm....

Quote:
Maybe clean up once in a while ? Playing on the mat + sleeves, haven't seen anything icky on the cards so far.

No I don't play on the floor here; I've got that massive table. This is when I go to someone's house who wants all the expansions but only owns a plastic lawn table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
Weird policy, considering you don't use all the expansions!

All from all I have .

Quote:
Unskinnable. Foolishness grants a +3 stat bonus, and has no "discard to gain" ability.

JtWT ! Seriously, +1 to 3 stats, that's too powerful IMO. Actually, looking at those cards over on the wiki, looks like many of them are seriously powerful. Another check for the not-to-buy column.

Quote:
Aww. I figured you'd at least do something like: roll a die; on a 1 use the Sinister Plot instead of a normal combat round.

What final combat? Most of the game have been close, but sealing is the prevailing result thus far.

OT: Been getting weird amounts of Exhibit Items of late. With DH + IH, I tend to have more encounters at the Train Station, where checking the cards quickly, 3 of the 4 CotDP encounters offer a shot at an EI. Since odds of getting an Parchment are greater than shopping for an ES, I tend to take an EI. Of course, once the DP Herald is in play, have to think about it a bit more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
Though I prefer my house-rule that rifts only open in Kingsport, never in the other boards; that should make it less sleepy and a bit more thematic).

I really like the sound of this!

How do you determine where activated rifts appear in Kingsport ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
JtWT ! Seriously, +1 to 3 stats, that's too powerful IMO. Actually, looking at those cards over on the wiki, looks like many of them are seriously powerful. Another check for the not-to-buy column.

+3 isn't that much better. Most allies grant +2 to a stat and give some other bonus. Foolishness and Zoog don't offer bonuses, and actually have small, small penalties (mutual exclusivity). Yeah, some of the allies are pretty cool, but not overly so; Dark Pharaoh allies are some of the best out there, but you still use Dark Pharaoh.

Quote:
What final combat? Most of the game have been close, but sealing is the prevailing result thus far.

But final combat does happen, and it's much more fun with EB. Loads of theme, suspense, and fear of the unknown. Isn't that what Arkham is all about?

Quote:
OT: Been getting weird amounts of Exhibit Items of late. With DH + IH, I tend to have more encounters at the Train Station, where checking the cards quickly, 3 of the 4 CotDP encounters offer a shot at an EI. Since odds of getting an Parchment are greater than shopping for an ES, I tend to take an EI. Of course, once the DP Herald is in play, have to think about it a bit more.

Yeah I got that "swapped suitcases" one. I failed both Luck checks, so therefore I wound up discarding two items with no compensation. Fun fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
richdodgin wrote:
kungfro wrote:
Though I prefer my house-rule that rifts only open in Kingsport, never in the other boards; that should make it less sleepy and a bit more thematic).

The activated Rift appears on the location shown on the final Rift Progress token that activated it. That of course means no rifts in Kingsport Head, but it wouldn't be much of an obstacle for rift investigation if it did: nobody goes there anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
Dark Pharaoh allies are some of the best out there, but you still use Dark Pharaoh.

Those add bonuses to special skill checks only. Granted +2 twice, but stat boosts boost both regular skill checks and the special ones.
And none have the same added bonus as some of the KH ones: remove doom token, cancel a GOO attack, exhaust instead of spending 1 Clue. Thomas Olney gets you 3 gates trophies worth of stuff for the price of 2 (since you're Blessed when you get him).

Since Roland started with the Messenger today, can't help comparing him (?) to Basil Elton. Namely because the GOO today was Chaugnar Faugn, whose attack is discard 3 Clues or 1 Ally for each investigator. Basil is worth 3 Allies or 9 Clues in that, whereas Messenger doesn't help you either way, discard him to not be devoured or don't discard for the attack, then discard him to prevent from being devoured.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
richdodgin wrote:
kungfro wrote:

The activated Rift appears on the location shown on the final Rift Progress token that activated it. That of course means no rifts in Kingsport Head, but it wouldn't be much of an obstacle for rift investigation if it did: nobody goes there anyway

Of course! Why didn't I think of that? shake

Definitely going to incorporate this into my games - cheers !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.