Subject: 24-year-old burglar beaten by 'victim' - elderly retired boxer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
He should have picked on someone his own age.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2009/06/30/2009-06-...

The cops must have been laughing their ass off when they picked this guy up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christychan
United States
Somerville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, in the U.S. the burglar would have sued to homeowner and probably won a cushy settlement to spend when he got out of prison for robbery!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prismcat wrote:
Sadly, in the U.S. the burglar would have sued to homeowner and probably won a cushy settlement to spend when he got out of prison for robbery!

Move to Texas. It all depends which way the body falls. If they fall in such a way that they are entering your house, you are golden. If they fall away -- well shooting them int he back is dishonest. ninjadevil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prismcat wrote:

Not in Texas. You can kill someone if you think they're breaking into your home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to Texas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
IANAL, however I think that there's very little chance that he would win a suit in the US either. In most states (lol Texas*) in order for the burglar to win a civil suit in this case he would have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the the homeowner used unreasonable force against the burglar.

From the article:

Quote:
A mug shot released by the Thames Valley Police reveals the results after Corti disarmed his [knife wielding] attacker, let loose with two punches to the face and restrained McCalium until the police arrived on the scene.

It is an easy argument to say that Corti thought that his life, as well as the life of his wife, were in danger and used reasonable force to disarm and restrain the burglar.

*In Texas, shooting a burglar is considered reasonable force.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knock knock open up the door it's Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading chit chat when tired is interesting... Lots of fascinating stories like one about a 24-year-old burger being eaten by a victim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christychan
United States
Somerville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
IANAL, however I think that there's very little chance that he would win a suit in the US either. In most states (lol Texas*) in order for the burglar to win a civil suit in this case he would have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the the homeowner used unreasonable force against the burglar.

From the article:

Quote:
A mug shot released by the Thames Valley Police reveals the results after Corti disarmed his [knife wielding] attacker, let loose with two punches to the face and restrained McCalium until the police arrived on the scene.

It is an easy argument to say that Corti thought that his life, as well as the life of his wife, were in danger and used reasonable force to disarm and restrain the burglar.

are extension cords unreasonable force? There was a story a while back - maybe 6-7 years ago, in the U.S. a burglar breaks in to a house late at night while the homeowners were sleeping. He trips over some extension cords spread across the floor to the entertainment center in the dark and injures himself. The homeowners wake up and call the police. He is arrested for breaking and entering. He successfully sued the homeowners for his injuries and won a settlement while in jail for having tripped over extension cords that were not properly taped down or covered in the dark while robbing a house.
shake seriously
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Prismcat wrote:

are extension cords unreasonable force? There was a story a while back - maybe 6-7 years ago, in the U.S. a burglar breaks in to a house late at night while the homeowners were sleeping. He trips over some extension cords spread across the floor to the entertainment center in the dark and injures himself. The homeowners wake up and call the police. He is arrested for breaking and entering. He successfully sued the homeowners for his injuries and won a settlement while in jail for having tripped over extension cords that were not properly taped down or covered in the dark while robbing a house.
:shake: seriously

Although I agree that that's ridiculous, it's a different type of case altogether. One involves direct physical force against another person and the other involves negligence on the part of the homeowner. Unfortunately, from my understanding, the law is not concerned with what the burglar was doing in the house in the first place. I'm guessing that the burglar only had to prove that he sustained injuries and that those injuries were caused by the negligence of the homeowner. Also, he probably had a very good lawyer. ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Missouri enacted a 'Texas Law' too: If a burglar comes into your home, you can shoot him without fear of prosecution, even if you end up killing ar crippling him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
Prismcat wrote:

shake seriously

Although I agree that that's ridiculous, it's a different type of case altogether. One involves direct physical force against another person and the other involves negligence on the part of the homeowner. Unfortunately, from my understanding, the law is not concerned with what the burglar was doing in the house in the first place. I'm guessing that the burglar only had to prove that he sustained injuries and that those injuries were caused by the negligence of the homeowner. Also, he probably had a very good lawyer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
Prismcat wrote:
thermogimp wrote:

From the article:

Quote:

shake seriously

Sounds like web-myth to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmb
chiddler wrote:
Agreed - if anyone can present real evidence that this ever happened I'll eat my socks

Sht. I was one post away from closing this thread and forget the whole thing. You made me google internet for another 5 minutes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Miller
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Poland we have very similar problem, but we don't need to be sued by agressor... prosecutor and/with police will make it themselves.

100% true stories:

1. Burglar whas shoot in back when he was running from mans property (he wasn't danger for man in this very moment) - that's why owner of the property is in jail till now.

2. Some well trained old man beat 2 guys (agressors) to protect as i remember woman on the street.
Of course he also spend some time in jail..... normal.

BEST PART - we have such a stories every month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Wynn
United States
Cartersville
Georgia
flag msg tools
I love Nintendo as well!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tommy_M wrote:
In Poland we have very similar problem, but we don't need to be sued by agressor... prosecutor and/with police will make it themselves.

100% true stories:

1. Burglar whas shoot in back when he was running from mans property (he wasn't danger for man in this very moment) - that's why owner of the property is in jail till now.

2. Some well trained old man beat 2 guys (agressors) to protect as i remember woman on the street.
Of course he also spend some time in jail..... normal.

BEST PART - we have such a stories every month.

That's messed up... Why would anyone let someone attack another person when they know that they can do something about it? Oh yes, for fear of prosecution.

Oh, hello terrible man that I don't know who is wielding a weapon in an attempt to rob me or do umpteen other terrible things to me or my family. Why go on ahead and take whatever you want! While your at it, rape my wife! Don't worry we won't defend ourselves for fear of being prosecuted!

Ridiculous! I AM going to shoot the person who breaks into my home. And yes, hopefully I will maim or kill them! That is the intent!

There, got that off my chest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.