Subject: War Journal rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Cunliffe
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
It was suggested by a good friend, that I might want to post my blog from the Hell of Stalingrad website to very awesome BGG forum.

June 19th - Website is up and Solitaire Rules uploaded!
I have been following the thread on consimworld concerning the desire for solitaire playability with The Hell of Stalingrad. Unfortunately, there was not enough room in the original rule book to include all the guidelines for the single player variant which is a shame because the game actually plays very well in solitaire mode.
One quick observation players will make is that the German Solitaire Game actually quite different from the main PvP game. I wanted to give everyone who purchased the game the best possible value by allowing them to experience new dimensions of Stalingrad.
The German player starts with a full 13 formations but must conquer an entire district with no reinforcements. No one ever said Stalingrad was for the weak. My goal is to have the Soviet solitaire.

June 23rd - All nighter in preparation for Origins
Its 4:30 AM now and I am almost done getting everything ready for Origins. I have finished designing the new Stalingrad T-Shirts, Award Certificates, and fliers. It is going to be an awesome con!

July 5th - Great time at Origins
Origins was an amazing trip. I am so glad that I went, I met a lot of amazing gamers, did I mention that I love the hobby! The responses I have been receiving from people who have playtested the game have been phenomenal! I am blown away by the responses we have gotten. There are several very interesting threads THoS threads Board Game Geek and Consimworld which I have been following very closely. I have been very impressed by the intelligence and insight of the fans who have played the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Cunliffe
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
July 8th - Miniature demo set for The Hell of Stalingrad
I am in the middle of building a full scale Miniature Diorama for use during demos at the upcoming Historicon game convention in Lancaster PA.

Miniatures are amazing and nothing fires the imagination like an eye-popping battlefield. I was very impressed by the 3D versions of Settler's of Catan I saw being used at Origins, visually they were so much fun to look at and admire.

The hard part of doing a 3D version of the game was finding the right scale of miniatures. The tanks were problematic as my Flames of War armor was too large for the battlefield I had created. Fortunately, 1/144 scale armor is a perfect fit.

I am working on a set of miniature rules that will mesh with the cards and provide a new variant for THoS. Obviously it would not be something that sell in a box but for any entrprisinng fan who does not mind building his own battlefield it could be a fun new way to play the game.

Stay tuned.

- S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Your 3D presentation sounds great. I hope you can get it finished in time. I'll look for you at H'con.

Ed Wimble flagged me down at last fall's "Fall In" con for a demo with another green player. The designer tutored us.

Very novel approach that rings true to the history and the atmosphere. The game is very aptly named--if you don't come away from a sesson of this vowing "I'll never fight a real battle in a city!" you must have been asleep during play.

Fast moving, lots of decision making, high replayability, intense yet not difficult to learn. I'd reluctantly decided to give the game a "pass" because most of my wargame play is solo, but if solitaire rules open it up for such, I guess it's on the list after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Cunliffe
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Great Game at PAGE
Tonight Jeff and I went to PAGE (the Philadelphia Area Gaming Enthusiasts) and ran several very exciting Stalingrad Demos for the guys at the club.

Afterward Jeff and I had a chance to use the new Hell of Stalingrad miniature system for the first time. We played a exciting sudden death battle for the Red Oktober Factory. I won the battle as the Soviet Player by dragging the game out in a bloody battle for attrition, very exciting.

The miniatures were a lot of fun to play with and certainly added a new dimension to the game. Having a miniature display is a winner!

- S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.