Andrey Velkov
Bulgaria
Doganovo
Elin Pelin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an hour ago we finished our first game of BSG. A human victory, because of a single mistake. As we were starting the game I never thought I would write a report but after finishing I think it is a story worth telling even if a short one.

The cast:
Laura Roslin - President - initially human, turns out to be cylon after sleeper phase
William Adama - Admiral - cylon from the start
Gaius Baltar - played by me
Karl Agaton
Starbuck

We started kind of slow as to be expected, but in just few turns we were in the clear what we should be doing.
A vary bad streak of three Food Crisis, combined with a president with no skill cards quickly drops our food and cause so glances at the president.
It felt the right time to try and claim the president seat for myself, convincing the others that I am better suited for the job, especially considering the "weakness" of Roslin. Unfortunately my plan fails.
The president used a quorum card to bring some food, but I still wasn't sure whether this was bad luck or he was a tin man. During this time Starbuck was kicking ass, by crippling a base star, destroying cylon fighters and jumping us at the moment we had to basestars in front of Galactica.
Except for the food problem and the little fight with the president everything was going fine and we managed to reach distance 4, so it was Sleeper time.
Everybody got their cards and i decide it is time to use my once per game ability. Time to check what beats inside the presidents tits.
And this is when the perfect lab test, devised by myself failed.(I think the president accidently showed me the cards that we didn't use at all in the game)I was convinced that the president was a human (two not a cylon cards is what I saw).
From then on the game got strange.He got thrown in the brig by our admiral, who thought the the president would loose his post, so it didn't raise any suspicion in me personally. I was human, I was convinced that the president is human but I was having tough time deciding who the cylon is because with he exception of two or three tests we passed the rest.
As we reached at distance 7 and almost at the jump our president used a card to throw the admiral in the brig, which left me wondering because to my knowledge the admiral made a lot of checks pass.
Next president action was to declare himself a cylon.A huge surprise to me, which led to a small discussion but we decided to continue anyway. Agaton put us at the -3 population jump, but I decided against jumping , because we might not have the population for the second jump if we miss the dice roll. To my surprise the crisis is for a skill check that would give us +1 distance, thus putting us with 6 population and just a jump away from victory. This calls for all cards on deck.
I played a card so we would play all cards face up.
Destiny puts us at +1.
Starbuck raise that at +10,
The admiral at our surprise drops us to +6(a tin can revealed)
The president drops us even more to +2
And as we though finally Agaton put us at +13 (the card requires 17).
We were desperate, so close and yet out of grasp, but then we remembered"
It is my crisis, so I played my cards last:
It turns out I have exactly what we need - a blue 2 for +15 total and a green card to reduce the difficulty by 2.
A great success, distance 8 jump a -3, total population of 6.
In a final moment of celebration Starbuck moved to the FLT and pulled the lever.

A close victory for the humans because of a small technical mistake that practically blew the fuses of the cylons logic.

We all enjoyed the game and we are looking for another game next week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some little mishaps like that one are to be expected in a game like this one, I think. One thing I think you may have been playing wrong - when food or water shortages come up, (where the President chooses between losing more food or discarding cards), they can choose the "discard cards" option even if they don't have enough to discard.

Roslin's ability works differently - if she doesn't have two cards to discard, she can't activate the location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey Velkov
Bulgaria
Doganovo
Elin Pelin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coolpapa wrote:
Some little mishaps like that one are to be expected in a game like this one, I think. One thing I think you may have been playing wrong - when food or water shortages come up, (where the President chooses between losing more food or discarding cards), they can choose the "discard cards" option even if they don't have enough to discard.

Roslin's ability works differently - if she doesn't have two cards to discard, she can't activate the location.

We were ok with Rosalin's rule, but for the president's rule we spend some time searching for this in the rule book and the FAQ and the Universal Head and we could find enything, are you sure about this?

As for the mistake, yes it was very small, but it really flipped the president cylon into thinking that I was the other cylon, so at the end the two cylons ended up in the brig thanks to each other

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Under Card Clarifications (top left)

Rules page 30 wrote:

Choice Crises: When a player makes a choice on a Crisis
Card, he can always choose the top or bottom section of
the card, regardless of whether he will be able to fulfill the
game text listed (unless the card specifically restricts this).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.