Subject: Favorite/least favorite character to play. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Who is your favorite character to play in BSG and why? Does it depend on the number of players or another such factor?

Also, who is your least favorite character to play in BSG and why? The one who you would never play, if you could help it.

Finally, who would you most like to see added to the game? BSG has an enormous cast, and we'll probably never see character cards for most of them. But who might you like anyway?

My answers:

My favorite is Helo, who was also my favorite in the show. I also like that ability to reroll. That missed first turn can be a pretty harsh drawback if he is later in the turn order or if there are a lot of players.

I would probably never want to play the characters who get two loyalty cards. I'm not traitorous enough to play a Cylon well. I like to think I am clever, but I know I'm not sneaky.

The two characters I would most like to see added in an expansion are Romo Lampkin and Sherman Cottle. I love those guys.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not trying to directly conflict the last poster, but I do like playing as Saul. While he does seem designed to shaft people, he is the most aggressive character in the game for that reason of being able to lock people up. He is (currently) second in command and so has a decent chance of becoming Admiral, and his once-per-game makes him a damn powerful king-maker and tyrant (just wait till you are made Admiral, then steal Presidency). Naturally this makes him very hard to trust, and the games I've played him when I've been human has taken some notable effort to convince others that I am working for the good of all, and the reason I'm arresting people is to reduce any collateral damage.

That aside I do like Tom. Though 3rd in line for Presidency, I find his ability to sacrifice people for resources a great asset (and quite comical - "Mr President... where did all this extra food come from, and where is my daughter?"), Its also very cool that he can get people out of the brig (and doing so make some very good friends) as well as help prevent and assist people gaining presidency. He would be my favorite, but I've always prefered being Admiral over President.

As for my least favored character, I would probably say William Adama. He can't lock people up, and while he can add a subtle edge to skill checks (which can turn a failure into a success) as well as collect all the Skill cards once per game AFTER a skill check, and starts as Admiral (currently), I don't find any of it very significant. Its a shame given he's a character of great depth and plot focus, but he rarely see's the gaming board in my group.

I would love to see Ellen Tigh as a new character. Though not a significant player in the series, her character could have some very interesting effects in regards to manipulating others to do her bidding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Saul Tigh is my least favourite character in the game (and my group agrees with me). His abilities rarely ever get used, they are definitely useful as a cylon but only if you are obvious about it. Also the martial law ability is annoying because he is second in line for Admiral and inquite a lot of our games Adama is usually picked (his abilities are much better than Sauls)
Saul Tigh is never picked in our group. Would be nice to see a new version of him so he would be more useful.

My favourite character is Apollo, he can get almost all the skill card types, excellent for humans or for cylons, his extra action when vipers get put on the board is game changing and has made things easier for the humans alot, in addition it is excellent for revealing as a cylon, just convince the person before you to launch Vipers with command

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Laporte
France
Limeil-Brevannes
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
I only played one game so far but I would say that my favorite character is probably Gaius Baltar, as he is very faithful to the show in the fact that he is under constant suspicion of working for the Cylon while trying to prove he is one of the good guys.

My least favorite is probably Adama because of his drawback, which I'm not sure is right thematically speaking.

Maybe these will change after a couple of other games, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomason
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like playing Starbuck or Apollo - I enjoy getting out and shooting at the raiders. I haven't played all the characters yet, but I think possibly Chief Tyrol and Tigh are the least interesting for me, from the standpoint of how their abilities and card draws tend to affect the game.

From what I've seen though, depending on which other characters are selected and who's loyal, the game can pretty much go in any direction to make any given character far more important or far less so. If you've got a lot of pilots and not many Cylon Attacks it can be dull to be a pilot; on the other hand if you end up doing little but shooting at basestars and raiders, a political character isn't as much fun if you're not President and you trust the person who is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
Doc Cottle would be a great support character! I just can't figure out what cards he would draw. Maybe 3 Engineering and 2 of something else.

I envision his skills as:

Round: You ignore the effects of SickBay.
Once Per Game: Action: All players in SickBay may immediately move out of sickbay or All players in one location move to SickBay.
Weakness: You may not become Admiral or President.
Starting Location: Sickbay

---

My favorite to play is Adama. You get to be Admiral. Everyone who has cards is likely to help his crisis. You can't brig people, you order people around, and you can quickly draw a lot of cards on a big skill check (like a Super Crisis). I love everything about him.

Runner ups: Tigh (love Tactics and laugh over his weakness), Helo (cuz he's hot and has a disad that is over quickly), and Starbuck (because I adore the character abilities). And if I have to do Politics: I prefer Zarek first for being the most interesting.

---

My least favorite to play is Baltar. I find his skill set, draw ability (I forget a lot), and early suspicion tough to deal with. I don't like being a Cylon (since I've been one so much), so I try to minimize the potential of starting as one.

Runner ups: Apollo - I don't like playing him when I could play Boomer or Starbuck... and I don't like his disad. Tyrol - I don't like Tyrol's disadvantage either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Clarke
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
My mate loves playing as Tigh. He has this thing about the drunk sending everyone to the brig, and running the ship. Then he drink drives raptors launching scouts. I think he just loves telling everyone that the drunks in charge of the ship...

I like Roslin, but the 2 cards is horrible.

I really enjoy playing as Helo, because as a cylon. You can royally shaft the humans.

I personally think that people that are brig resistant/brig dependants(ones that shaft others) are generally bullshine. I am also not a massive fan of the pilots.

I like having a pilot, but it just seems to take much more focus from whats happenin ON galactica which just seems more important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.