Subject: Is this an expansion or a standalone game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
The game category does not say "expansion for base game", but the description says "This new expansion has two sets of rules."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It is an expansion for either of the Railroads Tycoon games. It cannot be played without them. If it is played, either of two rulesets may be used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Flowood
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not certain, but I believe it may also be compatible with the upcoming Railways of the World.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Goldfarb Styrt
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be shocked if it's not compatible with Railways of the World given that it's coming out at approximately the same time from the same publisher, and that Railways of the World is supposedly including (functionally) everything that came with Railways of the World.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I had the same question, stemming from this part of the description on the home page:
Quote:
This new expansion has two sets of rules. The first set of rules follows the gameplay of the Railways of the World series. The second set of rules is a brand new game from Martin Wallace that features a new share system and economic engine that builds upon the Railways of the World engine.

This kind of sounds as if this 'brand new game' is actually playable stand-alone. I suppose it only means the rules are not built upon the RRT/RotW rule set, but still require the RRT/RotW components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brand new game in the sense of significantly different gameplay mechanisms and ideas...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred CS
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmb
Hi Pastabatman,

Your second statement of your interpretation is correct. The Martin Wallace game requires components from the base game (track tiles, engine markers, bonds, money).

Railways of England and Wales is compatible with both Railways of the World and RRT.

Keith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
FRED Distribution CS wrote:
Hi Pastabatman,

Your second statement of your interpretation is correct. The Martin Wallace game requires components from the base game (track tiles, engine markers, bonds, money).

Railways of England and Wales is compatible with both Railways of the World and RRT.

Keith

Hey Keith! How much longer do we have to wait until this is coming out!I got it preordered at my favorite online game site.I know it says July 2009 but I am hoping for early July 2009 instead of late July 2009 or later.

Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred CS
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmb
It is here and working its way through distribution and to the retailers. So to answer your question it should be available any day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Awesome!Thanks for the quick reply Keith.I can't wait to try it out.

Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teague Webb
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
It is an expansion for either of the Railroads Tycoon games. It cannot be played without them. If it is played, either of two rulesets may be used.

If by "either of the Railroad Tycoon games" you mean Railroad Tycoon and Rails of Europe, this statement is incorrect. In fact, Rails of Europe is a different expansion to Railroad Tycoon. Both Rails of Europe and Railways of England and Wales (both styles of game) require the base Railroad Tycoon game to play. One need not own both expansions to play either one, merely the base Railroad Tycoon game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FRED Distribution CS wrote:
It is here and working its way through distribution and to the retailers. So to answer your question it should be available any day.

Is it any day yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think it might be anyday now.If you go to the FRED distribution website they no longer have railways of england listed as a preorder.So it seems like it is becoming available.My preorder from my favorite online game store has not shipped yet though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teague Webb
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jbetz45453 wrote:
I think it might be anyday now.If you go to the FRED distribution website they no longer have railways of england listed as a preorder.So it seems like it is becoming available.My preorder from my favorite online game store has not shipped yet though.

I really wish people would just start a "when's it going to release" or "when will X retailer have it" thread, rather than just hijacking an existing thread. It really wastes my time when I come to check on threads I subscribe to in order to learn new information about or discuss the published topic of the thread, only to find yet another post about somebody wondering when they were going to get their copy.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Any updates? devil So, teague, thanks for wasting my time to come see your off-topic rant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Synge
United Kingdom
NEWTON ABBOT
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Go get 'em, Floyd.
mbmbmbmbmb
lamplite wrote:
teaguewebb wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

If by "either of the Railroad Tycoon games" you mean Railroad Tycoon and Rails of Europe, this statement is incorrect. In fact, Rails of Europe is a different expansion to Railroad Tycoon. Both Rails of Europe and Railways of England and Wales (both styles of game) require the base Railroad Tycoon game to play. One need not own both expansions to play either one, merely the base Railroad Tycoon game.

Railways of the World and Railways of the World

Well, it can't be played with Railways of the World, because that game isn't available yet. FRED have really made this sector more complicated than it needs to be - I still can't work out whether the "Eastern US" game is going to be published at all and, if so, whether it's a separate game or an expansion, and, if it's an expansion, what it's an expansion for, and so on and so on ...

And now here's an expansion for a game that doesn't exist yet. I guess there's a strategy there somewhere, but it's not customer-friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Okay Tim I will try to break it down for you.You are correct about Railways of the World not being out yet.It is due to be released in September I believe.When it is released it will contain two maps"Eastern US" and "Mexico".Railways of the World is the same game as Railroad Tycoon with the exception of the maps.I am not sure how different the eastern US map is going to be compared to the map in the original Railroad Tycoon game.
So if you already own Railroad Tycoon(comes with 1 map) or are planning on buying Railways of the World(comes with 2 maps) when it comes out there are two expansions available for purchase
1) Rails of Europe
2) Railways of England and Wales

Hope this clears it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
jbetz45453 wrote:

Okay Tim I will try to break it down for you.You are correct about Railways of the World not being out yet.It is due to be released in September I believe.When it is released it will contain two maps"Eastern US" and "Mexico".Railways of the World is the same game as Railroad Tycoon with the exception of the maps.I am not sure how different the eastern US map is going to be compared to the map in the original Railroad Tycoon game.
So if you already own Railroad Tycoon(comes with 1 map) or are planning on buying Railways of the World(comes with 2 maps) when it comes out there are two expansions available for purchase
1) Rails of Europe
2) Railways of England and Wales

Hope this clears it up.

I had read somewhere that they were going to release both Eastern US (updated to be more like RoE) and Mexico as standalone maps for those of us that already own RRT. I sure hope this is still the plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
kneumann wrote:
I had read somewhere that they were going to release both Eastern US (updated to be more like RoE) and Mexico as standalone maps for those of us that already own RRT. I sure hope this is still the plan.

From what I've read, maybe Mexico, but I don't see them doing that for the Eastern US. My guess is that most will either be content with the RRT version, and just buy the Mexico map, or want both new maps and thus buy RotW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.