Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On Saturday morning, after checking my e-mail and whatnot, I went out for all-day gaming (as I am want to do twice a month). When I got home, I discovered that my computer was completely dead.

I got a new computer on Sunday, but was unable to recover the files from my hard drive. It is currently in use as a nice paperweight. Meanwhile, I lost all files and pictures I ever saved up on it. (My dad is still telling me how I should have backed everything up.)

At least it's not something like a fire or major accident, and the new computer is pretty sweet (if costly) ... but losing all my stuff still sucks.

(Note to self: reinstall the BSW client server.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You probably should have backed everything up.

Aren't I a riot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hopefully becoming a restaurant owner soon! Peter Melanson
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, backing stuff up on a regular basis is a good idea. Unless it's your food backing up. Then you should see a doctor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
If you take the drive to a computer shop they might be able to recover it. Also, did you try mounting it from a Linux LiveCD or some other OS? That sometimes works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
If you take the drive to a computer shop they might be able to recover it. Also, did you try mounting it from a Linux LiveCD or some other OS? That sometimes works.

Everyone I've talked to (RE: the so-called 'Geeks' at Best Buy, and a professional who has recovered data for my father in the past) has told me the hard drive is D.O.A.. Fact is, I never suspected anything; I had no real issues in the days leading up to the collapse. Just sudden death, as it were.

I have a cousin who might help, the next time I see him (maybe 3 months or so). In the meantime, the drive isn't going anywhere, and as I've resolved my most pressing issues, there's no hurry to act.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Comfort
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were you, I would have backed everything up. Sure, I don't back my stuff up, but if I were you, I would have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DK Kemler
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pssh, I don't have to backup my data, MY computer works!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are mean

When I was young&such, I was one of the first to use a C64 for a paper on Martin Luther King in high School. (Yes, that's a Commodore with 64 kilobytes of memory. It was 1986 or something) After 3-4 hrs typing upstairs, my mom decided it was time to turn on the wasdryer downstairs, while my dad was making coffee and a few other electrical devices where turned on. Result, suddenly I was staring at a black screen, my hands paralyzed. I think I sat there for 5 minutes, before I started crying softly.

I always make backups. Since 1986.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Miller
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have such a phrase in IT for this:

There are two types of people:
1. people making backups
2. people who will make backups

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Really mate, next time back it up And keep a dvd drive around so you can recovery this in ten years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.