Popular Tags: [View All]
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only discovered this game after the PnP files had been removed, but I'm under the impression that the original artwork could be better than in the published version, which is very bland and ugly. However, images have been removed, as well - even the representative image showing the box cover! The only image remaining doesn't tell much. Could anyone please post a sample of the tiles for comparison?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the originals. Do you want a sample of those?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
I'm under the impression that the original artwork could be better than in the published version

I didn't know how to broach this subject. But now that it is, I'll stick on my 2 cents. The original art IS, in my opinion, better than the Zman artwork. Now don't get me wrong, the Zman art is not shabby, but it has a certain style to it. The Zman version is very angular and has lots of straight lines and very little color depth. By that I mean that the original Fangs and Swords has many many more shades and tones of the colors used than does the new Batt'l Kha'os (which also is, by the by, a pain in the ass to type out as I just discovered).

The Fangs and Swords artwork is mostly hand-drawn has lots of detail on it, shading of cloaks and tunics and whatnot. The battlefield is a bigger mix of browns and greens as well and looks more like a real field.

The Batt'l Kha'os (thank goodness for Cut and Paste) artwork is computer drawn and has less depth of color than the original. I also think that it's missing a crucial piece in that there is very little detail on the clothing of the warriors.

I guess that the best comparison I can draw is to compare two animated film styles. The original artwork looks more organic, more like a Miyazaki film and the new artwork looks like it came from the Emperor's New Groove or Hercules from Disney. Again, not that those are examples of bad artwork. I prefer the Miyazaki to that particular Disney (and yes I know that, in America, Miyazaki IS Disney)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim Leenaerts
Belgium
Beerse
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too find that the original artwork looked better. The present artwork is too 'cartoony'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
I have the originals. Do you want a sample of those?

Thank you for the offer, Andrew, but that won't be necessary. Another person had already geekmailed me and sent me the files. It would still be nice, though, if we could have one or two good pictures in the game gallery, for everyone to see. Maybe someone has pictures of the game in play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigrdrifa wrote:
The Fangs and Swords artwork is mostly hand-drawn has lots of detail on it, shading of cloaks and tunics and whatnot. The battlefield is a bigger mix of browns and greens as well and looks more like a real field.

That was my impression, and the ground in the Z-Man version was precisely what I found worst. The original artwork, now that I saw it, is better than I had imagined. OK, it is not that great, and I would understand that the publisher might want to commission new artwork. But if the new stuff is clearly worse than the original, what is the point? Maybe is it just that Zev has really bad taste for art? shake

By the way, I noticed that the box cover image (now available only in thumbnail form) has the title "Batt'l Khaos" instead of "Fangs and Swords". Is it really from the original design (and the designer just changed the title) or a previous and abandoned cover from the Z-Man edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll post some images of my own copy (original art) soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hanuise
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
OK, it is not that great, and I would understand that the publisher might want to commission new artwork. But if the new stuff is clearly worse than the original, what is the point? Maybe is it just that Zev has really bad taste for art? shake

By the way, I noticed that the box cover image (now available only in thumbnail form) has the title "Batt'l Khaos" instead of "Fangs and Swords". Is it really from the original design (and the designer just changed the title) or a previous and abandoned cover from the Z-Man edition?

Hi

Regarding the new artwork, and having had plenty of time to compare both (all playtesting was done with the other artwork), I have to say I like both, in fact.
The styles are very different, but I do support Zev's call on this one as the new artwork is a better proposition for a game that is targeted to the US public.
It may seem a bit flashy or cartoony to the european eye, but it's still a good call, and an excellent work from Karim (Carthaginian on BGG, check out his work on Magic realm, he's good.)

regarding the title, the working title was fangs and swords. During the late stages of playtesting, we decided to change it to batt'l kh'aos to have an international name rather than a different name for different laguages (crocs et epees in french, and so on...)
The image here is from the prototype.
(all art from the PnP version was from Frederic Moyersoen, who is quite the artist, too.)

'hope this answers your questions

The game should hit the shelves later this month, provided the gods of logistics bear with us

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.