5 Posts

Arkham Horror: Dunwich Horror Expansion» Forums » Variants

Subject: Trimming the Other World and Mythos Decks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik W
United States
flag msg tools
With Arkham, Dunwich, and Kingsport on hand (and Innsmouth doing all sorts of backflips with Amazon's apparently faulty preordering/shipping whatever) I've been thinking about the growing stacks of Mythos and OW decks.

I have a separate but similar issue with both decks. I don't like the +1/-1 Environment cards and the Draw 2 Monsters cards of the Mythos deck (Dunwich was a bit perpetrator here). I what I'm doing now is taking both of these sorts of cards out. I might leave the ones that pertain to Dunwich, just because they are few and far between as is. Between these two series of cards, most belong to the very unstable Arkham locations like Witch's House. These Mythos events are sort of lame. Another thing is that it's hard to remember the random bonuses from these sorts of cards which my more casual friends usually overlook (I'd rather not have to deal with it than roll the wrong number for cards with such little thought given to them).

As for OW, I'd prefer the 'Other' section never existed. I go to Abyss because I want an Abyss encounter, not some generic catch-all - which seems to be the case many times. But all the cards have an Other option. So I'm taking out all the 'no encounter' cards. The big let-down for me is that you go through all the trouble and end up with no encounter (I'd rather have something happen, good or bad; we all like to explain what happened as we draw encounters and OW cards). Maybe I'll take out the 'you are delayed' ones as well, but not sure (Kingsport has a lot of these).

Between these two types of changes, I want every card to have a bigger effect. And it's not like I'm burning them, they can be put back if something feels off. I am also trying to move the game toward the 120 minute mark as anything much longer does become overwhelming at 10pm and later as we usually play at. With Innsmouth coming, I might have to see if any more trends of Mythos cards that will be included (I hear that there are no OW cards).

So how do you think these changes might impact the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Innsmouth Horror has some rule about redrawing OW cards if the first card you get doesn't list your world.
As the number of OWs grows, the likelihood of drawing your world on the first card is pretty low, and you end up reading "Other" most of the time. So to solve this, if the first matching color you draw doesn't have it, you keep drawing until you get another. You will resolve the next one whether it has your world or not, so the "Other" doesn't become completely pointless. There is still a chance you will get it, just not a disproportionate chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik W
United States
flag msg tools
Well that's a little better. It just seems like by the virtue of adding more OW cards for a small number of OWs is shooting itself in the foot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AH alone has 49 cards, each with 2 worlds listed. You can expect each world to appear on about 12 or 13 cards, some more than others.

Add in DH which includes 32 OW encounters, each of which has one of the two DH worlds. In this case, you have 81 cards, so 162 total world listings, making 16 of each on average (now that there are 10 worlds). The DW worlds actually appear this many times, so it seems like the AH and DW worlds are completely balanced here.

The problem arises when you add multiple expansions. For example, take the numbers I mentioned above and add curse of the dark pharaoh, and you've got way more AH world encounters than you do DH world encounters, as a result you are very likely to resolve the "Other" sections of a card you draw.

You could also trim the deck as you said. If I wanted to play AH+DH+curse, I essentially have more AH cards than DH cards because the curse cards only refer to Arkham worlds. I would probably shuffle together the AH and dark pharaoh cards (for both the OW deck and the mythos deck), randomly take out however many I need to get to the amount in the basic game, and then add in DW cards and shuffle. DW cards then make up the correct "proportion" of each of the decks, but I didn't cut pharaoh out of the decks altogether.

Losing pharaoh cards isn't a big deal, since they aren't tied to a location like Dunwich cards are. If you make a huge deck and only a small bit of it applies to Dunwich, not much happens in Dunwich (or Dunwich OWs) which is a bit dull =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is an aspect of "dilution" which I don't think is mentioned in any of the dilution-fixing threads in the main game section. You should post something there about how its worked out for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.