Popular Tags: [View All]
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been said before & I can only agree that the rules that come with this game are poorly written.

Could some kind soul please explain Goth movement - please!!!

The Goth moves forward 1 space each turn unless the active player places the required tribute on the space in front of the Goth.

That much I understand. Everything else after that makes no sense at all.

What does "he moves to the last space where resources have already been paid in tribute" mean? As I understand it, the active player places tributes in the space in front of the Goth. How are resources places on other spaces?

What is meant by "the last covered space"?

As I've said, it all makes no sense to me & I really can't bring the game to the table at the moment.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Same question here (along with the rest of the rules laugh )...help us both, someone....please.
I must have read the rule book three times and each time I think I grasped some rule, another one is left unanswered !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B.
Canada
flag msg tools
Look down.
badge
Ooooo! Ahhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
**** What does "he moves to the last space where resources have already been paid in tribute"
mean? As I understand it, the active player places tributes in the space in front of the Goth. How
are resources places on other spaces? ****

Phrased in this way, this sentence refers to future turns after some tribute pieces have already been
paid and the Goth has been stationary up to that point. Otherwise, if there is no tribute in front of
him, he will always move one space forward on each player's turn.

Ex. After a few rounds of play, there are three spaces in front of the Goth with actual wooden tribute
on them. The fourth space where the active player must now pay tribute is empty because no one
wants to pay it. Then the Goth moves to destroy resource cards. Move the Goth down the road to
the third space where there is tribute and not the fourth where there is no tribute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B.
Canada
flag msg tools
Look down.
badge
Ooooo! Ahhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nowhere does it actually say in the rules that the "Active" player is the only one that can pay the tribute on any given turn. It actually says "a player" can pay tribute to keep the Goth stationary. "The Phase 5: Pay Tribute to the Goth" section flits back and forth between referring to one player and players as a group through its grammar. Given this, my gaming group played the Goth as said, and all of us had the chance to pay the Goth none, some, or all of the tribute needed.

Similar to support this is the grammar in "Phase 3: Activate Cards". Notice it differentiates right away between the "active player" and "a player" when activating resource cards right off the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your response.

So let me see if I understand you.

e.g.
Goth is in his starting position

(G)-( )-( )-( )-( )-( )-( )-

Player 1 is the active player. He puts a tribute in front of the Goth & he doesn't move.

(G)-(T)-( )-( )-( )-( )-( )-

Players 2-4 take turns being the active player. Each puts a tribute in front of the Goth & the Goth doesn't move.

(G)-(T)-(T)-(T)-(T)-( )-( )-

Player 5 is the active player. He doesn't pay a tribute to the Goth.

So, the tributes that have been paid are laid aside & the Goth moves to the last field into which a tribute was played.

( )-( )-( )-( )-(G)-( )-( )-

Players would then take alternate turns to discard one of their cards for each of the resource cubes in the pile of tributes that had been paid. As each resource cube is "paid for", the cube is set aside into another pile. Once all tribute cubes have been "paid for" (or no one has cards available that match the remaining cubes), players (starting with the active player) take turns drawing resource cubes from the new pile & adding then to their personal stash behind their screen.

If player 6, as the active player, didn't pay the tribute, the Goth would just move ahead one space.

( )-( )-( )-( )-( )-(G)-( )-

In this case, each player contributes to the cost of the tribute for the new space, starting with the active player & then the resources are distributed as above.

Is this correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B.
Canada
flag msg tools
Look down.
badge
Ooooo! Ahhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. Good Luck.

PS. Gloria Mundi can be very brutal if players do not cooperate or just out of pure luck. It can be outright depressing as everything just keeps getting destroyed or you just can't build at all, ...period.
If you're up to it, check out my "Carrot Variant" posted. It will soften the game to greater degree, give every one a greater chance, and make it more tactical rather than just numerical. My group loves it. This is the only way we play it any more. Curious about other's opinions. Feedback maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Just wondering if anyone has made an effort to correct the "translation" of the rules in order to make them clearer.

In all honesty, this rule book is one of the worse one I have had the misfortune to read and understand enough to play a proper game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gordon,

I'm working on one at the moment. I have one or two more questions to iron out & them I'm good to go.

I'm aiming to have something along the lines of some that I've previously created.

Power Grid - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/32681
Torres - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/40329
Acquire - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/40242

Stay tuned.

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gordon,

I have uploaded my rules rewrite today.
Once it's approved I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My rules rewrite has been uploaded & can be found at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/44737

Hope it is of some help to those, like me, who found the official rules, difficult to understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Triad1 wrote:
Nowhere does it actually say in the rules that the "Active" player is the only one that can pay the tribute on any given turn.

Given this, my gaming group played the Goth as said, and all of us had the chance to pay the Goth none, some, or all of the tribute needed.

No way is that correct.

rules pg 4 wrote:
If the player chooses not to pay the tribute, the
Goth moves forward.

Not "the players". Not "all players". Not "the last player". Just a straight simple one player refusing the tribute and he moves forward. And that one player is the active player of course, since it's his turn to make the decisions.

Partial payments? Illegal of course:

rules pg 3/4 wrote:
The resource(s) the player places on the space must match the icons on that space. For example, if the space shows a city icon, the player places one gold counter on the space. If the space shows a city icon and a peace icon, your tribute must contain one gold counter and one peace counter.

Note the plural "icons" and the singular "the player".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kanalja
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
'In Russia all roads lead to Moscow. One chooses the road one wishes. Charles XII chose the road through Poltava.'
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Gloria Mundi quite a lot. In my group it has always been the player taking his turn who decides whether he is going to pay the tribute or not. If he pays he pays the whole tribute. If he does not the Goth moves. There are absolutely no partial payments, helping hands or Romans working together. The examples given above are downright wrong. This really is not a co-operative game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In relation to who can pay the tribute - the active player v/s any of the players - I've looked around & found the following comment from Jay Tummelson (President of Rio Grande Games),

Quote:
The active player chooses to pay or have the Goth walk. If he chooses to pay, he places the tribute on the next space and the Goth stays put. If he chooses for the Goth to walk, he walks and all players are affected in turn order until his "walk" is done. Then the players take the tribute left on the board in turn order.

Source - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1114642#1114642
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B.
Canada
flag msg tools
Look down.
badge
Ooooo! Ahhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clearing that up Paul. Good bit of investigation goes a long way. Thumbs up!

Still like my carrot variant better though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sunny Collins
United States
California
flag msg tools
One thing I am unclear about. If, as active player I let the Goth move and it's move includes a Farm and Peace, and I have farm production cards but no Peace, do I have to destroy a farm card or can I choose the Peace token so I do not destroy anything and let the next player deal with the farm token?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B.
Canada
flag msg tools
Look down.
badge
Ooooo! Ahhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to destroy what you've got (in this case the Farm).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.