BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Unorthodox method for importing games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cícero Gomes Junior
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all. As I live in Brazil, I've always had troubles to get the games I read about here on the Geek. Stores here only carry versions of Monopoly, Game of Life, Risk and Trivial Pursuit, and for outrageous prices (around 80-100 reais, which is 40-50 dollars). On top of that, anything you import that's over 50 dollars (including shipping) will cost 60% more on taxes.

After struggling with this situation for a long time, and eventually paying taxes to get the games I wanted, I found an unorthodox solution that may not please everybody: it consists on having someone open the game boxes and sending the components inside flat-rate envelopes. This way, the games can be registered as 'used' for a lower value, since they effectively lose it, and shipping costs are lower. Also, customs won't tax it, since the envelopes are too small and the games can't be sold. The biggest problem is with the boxes: they won't fit an envelope unless they're cut, which will require some assembly once the arrive.

When I suggested that on a Brazilian forum, the reaction was the worst possible: people said they were willing to pay wathever costs to have the games' boxes intact. I know some people think this way, but I simply can't afford it. I'd rather have some reassembled boxes with the games I like than keep playing Monopoly and Uno.

Here on the geek, I have had success with this method buying games from Uncmike and, more recently, from maydaygames. Both were really considerate and charged very reasonable prices. Here's a comparation fro the games I bought last month from maydaygames:

I got:

Cash and Guns 25,95
Formula D 36,85
For Sale 17,95
High Bohn plus 8,95
Ingenious 21,95
Race for the Galaxy 20,95
shipping 73

The games were sent on 4 envelopes and a small box; they costed me a grand total of 205 dollars (around 410 Brazilian Reais). If I had got them from Fairplay.com, I'd have paid 273 dollars plus taxes, for a total of 439 dollars. If I had bought them from an import store here in my city (Legends do Brasil), the cost would have gone up to 572 dollars.

So, I believe it's a viable way to get games for those who live outside US/Europe. I'm in no way associated with Uncmike or Mayday Games, but thought people should know there are BBGeeks willing to go out of their way to help overseas gamers.

I'll try and post some pictures from the reassembled boxes later.

Junior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cícero Gomes Junior
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The images ended up less visible than I'd wish. I took those with my cellphone, but will try and get better ones later.

Junior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After visiting Australia and seeing what game prices are like, I'm never going to complain about game prices in the US again. I'm glad you found a method that makes the hobby more affordable for you, and the boxes don't look too bad once you get done. Here's a thought - what would the shipping/customs be like if the boxes were sent separately, uncut but empty? Then the contents of either package are not that valuable since neither one could be sold alone, plus the box of boxes would be really light. I've no idea if that would work or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you go to reassemble the boxes, you might try this method.

That should give you nearly invisible repairs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cícero Gomes Junior
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coolpapa wrote:
After visiting Australia and seeing what game prices are like, I'm never going to complain about game prices in the US again. I'm glad you found a method that makes the hobby more affordable for you, and the boxes don't look too bad once you get done. Here's a thought - what would the shipping/customs be like if the boxes were sent separately, uncut but empty? Then the contents of either package are not that valuable since neither one could be sold alone, plus the box of boxes would be really light. I've no idea if that would work or not.

Hi, Matt. I tried that once, but it didn't work too well: for starters, the boxes are too big and it makes shipping alone to get close to the 50 dollars threshold. It's cheaper to send something small and heavy than something big and light. Also, customs charged the empty boxes as complete games, even after I argued with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cícero Gomes Junior
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scoutmom wrote:
When you go to reassemble the boxes, you might try this method.

That should give you nearly invisible repairs.

Thanks, I'll definitely try it next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Trzaskowski

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coolpapa wrote:
After visiting Australia and seeing what game prices are like, I'm never going to complain about game prices in the US again.

My thoughts exactly - I just came from a trip to down under 2 weeks ago. After seeing Puerto Rico for 80 AUD (more less $65) "on sale" at Dymocks I was done shopping for games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
However you can get the things you love, man. That's what I say.

Minty box or more money to get more of the things I love ...hmmm

For me, it's a no brainer.

I'm glad you've found your way to get your games.

This is kind of funny in that I just recieved a shipment where one of my game boxes was severely cracked on the bottom. It's too much of a hassle to go and return it for a new one. Everything inside was intact (thank the plastic insert for that)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Grimes
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you thought about the possibility of starting a game company in Brazil? Something akin to what Rio Grande or Fantasy Flight do on occasion, licensing games from other companies? A company doing that would resolve the bulk of the "import problem", and if your rulebooks have Portuguese and Spanish, that could cover most of Latin America fairly easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
good idea

Other way you might want to make a geeklist things to bring with you (games) when you visit Brazil.

You make another geeklist things to visit in Brazil.
And add that as the first item of things to bring geeklist.

In the header you explain how it works.

all the other entries are games one user wants.

So you add entry

agricola

and state the other games you want

the big idea and container

Another user enters what he wants and so on

You can also add possibility to sleep over / play games and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cícero Gomes Junior
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blackthorne1978 wrote:
Have you thought about the possibility of starting a game company in Brazil? Something akin to what Rio Grande or Fantasy Flight do on occasion, licensing games from other companies? A company doing that would resolve the bulk of the "import problem", and if your rulebooks have Portuguese and Spanish, that could cover most of Latin America fairly easily.

Actually, I know a guy who did just that: he started a game company called Ceilikan and released Knizia's Samurai here. It's still kind of expensive (130 reais, 65 dollars), but a very nice iniciative nonetheless. I'd like to start a company myself, but for that I'd have to drop at least one of my jobs (I'm a teacher) and I can't do that right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cícero Gomes Junior
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KrisVerbeeck wrote:
good idea

Other way you might want to make a geeklist things to bring with you (games) when you visit Brazil.

You make another geeklist things to visit in Brazil.
And add that as the first item of things to bring geeklist.

In the header you explain how it works.

all the other entries are games one user wants.

So you add entry

agricola

and state the other games you want

the big idea and container

Another user enters what he wants and so on

You can also add possibility to sleep over / play games and so on.

Thanks for the idea, I'll try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have any games you want, I'd totally do that for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan O'Rourke
United States
Tobyhanna
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm all for it. Nice creativity. Forget the boxes, it's all about the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's quite clever thinking. But you've been lucky so far getting games with mostly flatter components.

This would be a much trickier proposition if you were obtaining a copy of BattleLore, or other games with many plastic or wood pieces of varying sizes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cícero Gomes Junior
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
That's quite clever thinking. But you've been lucky so far getting games with mostly flatter components.

This would be a much trickier proposition if you were obtaining a copy of BattleLore, or other games with many plastic or wood pieces of varying sizes.

Yep, it didn't work with Cleopatra and the Society of Architects. But it did work for Cash and Guns; I only had to ask to get the guns on a separate box. I believe it would work for most games, provided they don't have any unfoldable big parts (like CaTSoA has).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cícero Gomes Junior
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:
If I have any games you want, I'd totally do that for you.

Thanks, man. I'll check your list of games to sell/trade and let you know.

Junior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
Text coming soon... probably...
badge
Get tipsy and fight a farmer with Strength 3
mbmbmbmbmb
facesnorth wrote:

But think of the cats! Where will they sit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, really, what about just leaving the box out of it entirely? If it's not a huge deal to you, you could very easily and cheaply make your own boxes, even going so far as to print out the image yourself; if you've paid for it, I see no harm in doing so, save you even more money.

Plus, you could make the box whatever size you want then, cause lets face it, some boxes have too much empty space, some don't have enough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cícero Gomes Junior
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
talismanisland wrote:
facesnorth wrote:

But think of the cats! Where will they sit?

After my cat used my El Grande box as toilet, I sent him on a flat rate box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Firth
Australia
Greenwood
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kochamkinie wrote:
coolpapa wrote:
After visiting Australia and seeing what game prices are like, I'm never going to complain about game prices in the US again.

My thoughts exactly - I just came from a trip to down under 2 weeks ago. After seeing Puerto Rico for 80 AUD (more less $65) "on sale" at Dymocks I was done shopping for games.

You saw Puerto Rico for 80 AUD??? What city were you in???? I wanna go buy a copy or three (I can probabaly re-sell for more).

My wife is heading to the US for work in a couple of weeks and I am hoping to send her with one empty suitcase to bring back games

When I first got into Euros, Fun Again was the only website I knew about to buy games from. It was cheaper to buy them from Fun Again and get them shipped to Perth than it was for me to buy them locally!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who are interested we used the priority mail flat rate envelopes for most of this. They are $12.95 per envelope worldwide and you can put up to 4 pounds of goods in them, if you can get them shut. The very first shipment per our emails was:

Formula D (without the plastic insert or plastic holders)
For Sale (without the plastic insert)
High Bohn Plus (everything in it)

I fit all of these above cut down into just 2 flat rate envelopes. I was careful how I cut them and folded them down rather than cut all the way through on the boxes to the extent I could so I could fit them into the envelopes, but I think it will be quite nice for you once you get them out and tape them together.

Total comes to $13.00 shipping per envelope or $26 shipping all together. I will mail these one day apart so they components don't look like a set as I have separated them up among the 2 envelopes. Total is $63.75 for the games too. Grand total for the first 3 games are $89.75 in USD.

In a subsequent first class package we sent the plastic holders for the other games along with the guns for ca$h 'n gun$.

The games were brand new in shrinkwrap before shipping and it was weird to take a box knife to them but it was amazingly cheap compared to full games with duties and normal shipping to Brazil. Glad you enjoy the games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.